Thread: Turnips

Turnips

Hello Everyone,

I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to farming. My Father-in-Law and I just bought some new property and the previous owner had planted turnips in a field to attract deer.

They're beginning to grow very tall green stalks out of the top and sprout yellow flowers and we're really not sure what to do with them at this point?

If we leave them alone, will they regrow? Do we need to replant them every year? If we want to plant something else, how should we clear them out?

Any and all advice is welcome!

Re: Turnips

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I'm completely inexperienced when it comes to farming. My Father-in-Law and I just bought some new property and the previous owner had planted turnips in a field to attract deer.

They're beginning to grow very tall green stalks out of the top and sprout yellow flowers and we're really not sure what to do with them at this point?

If we leave them alone, will they regrow? Do we need to replant them every year? If we want to plant something else, how should we clear them out?

Any and all advice is welcome!
    welcome along,
    fairly sure the turnips won't regrow on their own,,(be good if they did,,!!)' if they have sprouted flowers it means they have gone to seed,
    if you want rid of them you can just disc them in, if they have gone seedy and it's not a large patch run a topper over them to smash tops up or rotovate, depends really on what you want to replant there,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Re: Turnips

Hi, turnips (brassica rapa) are brassicas and so are family members with oilseed rape (brassica napa) and cabbage etc (B. oleracae). Thus the flowers on your turnips will seed but they will outcross with other b. species and you will end up with a mixed bag of plant types that will be good for nothing. You must be careful if you ever grow oilseed rape in the same plot of land and you allowed the flowers to set seed, as the subsequent volunteers in the rape crop will contain high erucic acid and glucosinulate seed types and the seed produced will be unfit for human consumption. erucic acid and glucosinulates cause food taints and ultimately heart problems. you cannot selectively spray volunteers out in rapespeed with any success. My advice would be to top the plants to avoid seed set (possibly too late now) and them graze them off with sheep or plough them in. Dont fancy a ride on the tractor if they are of any size though as you will need to hold onto your teeth.