Thread: 2002 massey 4345 tranny kicks into neutral..

2002 massey 4345 tranny kicks into neutral..

Its hit or miss with this problem. 2002 4345 power shuttle 12x12. It will sometimes go into neutral wile using, and shifting the transmission in neutral and the forward/reverse lever in neutral fixes it sometimes, other times I have to turn tractor off and then back on before it will go into gear. Seems more common in colder temps. I do get the trouble code 6-2 flash once in a wile but if it does that all I have to do is rotate the clutch speed engage knob and it goes away, and its done that since new and other than blinking and beeping it does nothing to the function of tractor. Its got to be some electrical glitch here. Im leaning toward the transmission control module but I don't know what to start replacing. Anyone with experience with this? I have about 1300hr on the clock. I have changed all transmission fluid/filter, and I get 4-4 code when it kicks into neutral that states 'solenoid valve short to ground or wiring open circuit'. I pulled floor up and made sure power shuttle solenoids wire connections are clean and on solid. Also, which seems odd, the gear shifter seems hard to wiggle back and forth sometimes, like the linkage needs oiled, and that might be the case. Oh, and also the lights on dash that tell you if its in low-medium-high don't work. Sorry so long winded, but its and aggravating problem. It started the neutral thing last year wile pulling a disc. This year I am getting back into rolling my own hay and really don't want to have to turn tractor off with bale in bailer. Thanks for any advice!

Re: 2002 massey 4345 tranny kicks into neutral..

And yesterday when I used it the gearshifter is loose and springy, so it can't be the linkage needing oiled. So basically, when the gear shifter is in neutral, it does not move left and right freely. Then, out of nowhere like yesterday, it is free moving. It will spring back to center position. its a wacky machine.

I plan on updating this post as I replace parts. At this point the dealer is going to track down the agco tech that has the diagnostic software for this model. Until then, as far as my H-M-L range selector lights not working, I have narrowed it down to a bad switch, or ' wire harness ' as Massey calls it. It's part number 3810121M91 and is located on the side of range box opposite of gear shift shaft. It has 4 wires, one hot, and three for each light on dash. I jumped the plug and in fact the dash lights work, but switch is gone. I assume this is why my shifter sometimes loose its 'springyness' sometimes as the end of shaft rides into it. The fuel tank will have to drop to gain access when new part comes in. It's about $400 usd. I wonder if it's possible this switch gives the 'open circuit error code' that makes computer kick power shuttle into neutral. I bush hogged yesterday with out a hiccup, but it kicked in neutral a couple of times wile hooking up mower. It's a loopy issue.

Just curious. Is your tractor not a 24 x 24 powershuttle?

Quote Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
    Just curious. Is your tractor not a 24 x 24 powershuttle?
    Its 12x12 power shuttle.

I was messing with it yesterday trying to get it to act up. When it messes up and kicks into neutral, you can feel the transmission "relax'. Its like it engages and put pressure on clutch, then releases. There seems to be a lag in clutch engagement too. Like a split second, and its not related the the speed adjustment knob on steering column. But for the most part this issue is worse in colder weather.

Probably find its oil pressure that releases the clutch and beveled washers (springs) that engage the clutch
    We had a renault that was jumping out if gear .it was the manual creeper gear that was jumping out . Theres a plastic coating on the fork that can wear through and then the gears dont mesh in far enough causing them to jump out now and again . Yours propably doesnt have the creaper gear but no doubt theres still a fork in there with a plastic coating on it . Unfortunately theres no way of checking without pulling the civer of the side and looking