Thread: Red Clover establishment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Red Clover establishment

Looking any tips on establishing a new field of red clover. Looking to try some for the first time this summer for a high protein silage next autumn

Re: Red Clover establishment

Quote Originally Posted by Thorndale View Post
    Looking any tips on establishing a new field of red clover. Looking to try some for the first time this summer for a high protein silage next autumn
    Are you going to do it this spring or are you looking to do it this autumn?

Start by soil testing, I am convinced clover requires soil rich in P & K, so correct using TSP/MOP or 0.24.24 if required. I loves slurry as much as anything else.

Needs a lovely fine seed bed and firm, it is a tiny seed so you get plenty of it per kilo but it is tiny and you don't want it being drilled too deep.

You can use a bit of nitrogen if you want, some of my lot put a bit on first thing in spring, later the soil will be warm and the plants will make their own. Don't cut it too low and don't drive on it when its wet. Red clover will not take any kind of punishment. If you look after it, it should remain there 2-3 yrs easily.

It is slow to establish but once it is there it seems to grow like a weed.

Min sowing rate is 5kg/acre for the skin flints amongst us, but most of mine is done at 6kg/acre.

Weed control can be done but you need to be careful. Pray it does not get chickweed because red clover does not like SUs and Triad is like shooting it in the guts.

Re: Red Clover establishment

feed seed to sheep to spread??
    add to slurry and spread??