Thread: Tine harrow

Tine harrow

I'm thinking of buying a tine harrow. At the moment I use a chain harrow but people keep telling me a tine one will be much better. My tractor is only about 24 hp so what size can I go up to and will I see a difference?

Re: Tine harrow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXDALE-8FT...-/251838500086
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXDALE-6FT...3D251833060421
    Listed by the company that makes them .

If your tractor is a Kubota 25hp it should handle 8ft easily .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

A friend of mine just bought a Joskin machine like this. I am not at all impressed. It's quite well made but a decent set of chain harrows that aren't worn out would do a much better job on his poached grassland. And sorry Skoda but I don't think much of those either.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Joskin machine doesn't use the proper hook tines and there aren't enough of them. The Oxdale machine is too light.

This is the type of thing you should be looking at.

http://www.einboeck.at/index.php?opt...mid=97&lang=en

They start at only 1.5m wide and there is a link at the bottom of the page to download a brochure.

Badly poached grassland needs heavy rolled first, otherwise they will just tear out divots.

Quote Originally Posted by MC130 View Post
    Badly poached grassland needs heavy rolled first, otherwise they will just tear out divots.
    The divots are the hoof impressions in the land and they were not that bad, worst probably only 3" deep but he wanted to pull the tops off and try and level it up a bit. He is a retired dairy farmer and you can probably guess what he's using his farm for now ! I think that if he had rolled the fields first the machine would not have made much impression. He did roll them after going over them twice with his Joskin but he does have a Kidd roll and it sort of looks O.K.-ish now.

The fields would never have been poached like that in the first place if he was still dairying.

. The Oxdale machine is too light..
    They will not be as good as an Einbock granted as they only have one setting ,I would guess that the 12 ft would float too much and be as you say , a 6ft does a good job for the money .Speed is a factor that is often overlooked as this can be very important for ripping out weed grasses & moss .
    At the end of the day it depends on what you are trying to do .
    If its levelling loose soil and breaking up muck heaps , you need a chain harrow .
    If its opening up old matted swards to get some air in ,pulling out moss and dragging out chick weed you need a tine harrow .

it might to make it look respectable , but it will pan ground and restrict air and water getting through.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

I try not to roll if possible and need to pull out moss and thatch mostly.