Thread: Penning Ewes and Lambs in the field.

Penning Ewes and Lambs in the field.

Been putting ewes and lambs through the Prattley pens in field today.
    Same old problem...pens set up in crafty corner etc....gather them up and push towards the carefully devised trap.
    At the last moment the cautious ones make a run for it. Sometimes you are lucky, sometimes not.
    A long time ago I can remember Dan Cherrington describing an idea he had seen / brought from NZ. Thirty or forty yards of Hessian about 3ft high, idea was, you used it as an long arm to push the ewes in until you can get the hurdles around.
    Anyone seen it used, or using the idea?
    Wondered about that plastic lightweight mesh that you see around road works etc.
    gee

Re: Penning Ewes and Lambs in the field.

Yes iv'e used it in the past and it works , the hessian also looks like a solid wall , on youtube you can see new Zealand tailing crews using hessian . The red plastic might work if it holds upright when pulled . More hurdles ??

You might try a length of rope you have already - easier to lay out and pack up.Not as good a barrier but something new which springs up when you pull it can help.

Gathering ewe lambs on a commonage last December I used a 50 meter electric poultry net doubled over, so 25 meter lead in to the hurdles. Worked very well. Most important thing is that you pick a barrier that they can SEE. All they need to think is that they can't get though it. I wouldn't be a fan of the hessian idea as you'd need a calm enough day, it catches a lot of wind, might fall down or spook them.

I've used the hessian model & it works well, electric fencing mesh works too but now I just rely on dogs

is it just you on your own? because what I've found works a treat here is having one person actually driving the sheep about, with another stood a good way behind. lots of people try to make a single human chain around the animals, but I think this works because they know they can run past ONE person easily and then they're away, but they also know that the second is out there waiting, and if they break past the first they are then sandwiched, alone, between the two people....and they don't want that! also NOT pushing when they get up to the pen and stop. Concentrate your efforts on not letting them break back, but don't try to gain ground and push them along, wait for them to try and fail getting past and get fed up with it...and then just go in.

many decades ago I worked on a farm that kept its cattle on an island during the summer - island was a couple of miles long and maybe half a mile wide at its widest. A couple of weeks before doing the "round up", the farmer would visit the cattle every couple of days with a bucket of grain - didn't take long for the cattle to start following him, looking for a treat. By the time round-up started, he could lead almost all of them into a pen.

something you might try doing with the sheep?