Thread: Slurry solutions

Slurry solutions

I'm looking at housing some animals on slatted floors, but I am not keen on having the pit under the building. I've got nearly 4000m^2 of slatted floor, and I need to pull the slurry to a pit/tank outside. What options do people think are possible?

I have no idea really, so any input will be greatly received.

Re: Slurry solutions

So much depends on what you have already. How many anilmals? Hw old? How deep is the slated area? Is there a chance that bedding or feed will get pushed through the slats into the slurry? Is there any concrete without slats that will want scraping? Rainwater? Have you got a store already or do you want to contstruct a new one? What are the site levels like; is it up hill or down hill from the slats? How automated do you want it to be? Electric or PTO pump or no pump? and so on.
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    So much depends on what you have already. How many anilmals? Hw old? How deep is the slated area? Is there a chance that bedding or feed will get pushed through the slats into the slurry? Is there any concrete without slats that will want scraping? Rainwater? Have you got a store already or do you want to contstruct a new one? What are the site levels like; is it up hill or down hill from the slats? How automated do you want it to be? Electric or PTO pump or no pump? and so on.
    Well, there is no building as yet. This would all be new construction. Ideally it would be a fairly level site, and we'd be housing 1000 animals varied in age between 3 and 13 months. Ideally it would be totally automated with electric pumps and rainwater can be used.

The animals will be housed on rubber matting so bedding material isn't really much of a concern, although it's likely that an amount of straw from feed bins would get in there but not much.

Do you have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by DanLarn View Post
    Well, there is no building as yet. This would all be new construction. Ideally it would be a fairly level site, and we'd be housing 1000 animals varied in age between 3 and 13 months. Ideally it would be totally automated with electric pumps and rainwater can be used.

The animals will be housed on rubber matting so bedding material isn't really much of a concern, although it's likely that an amount of straw from feed bins would get in there but not much.

Do you have any ideas?
    you could use slurry channels to deliver the slurry to a lagoon or the like.
    the slurry floats on liquid so no pumping required.
    a lagoon should be deep and ideally round or rounded corners.
    access down one side makes stirring, once - when full, the cheapest way to suck/pump it out.
    15miles from you at Plymouth! - mixit stirrers