Thread: Goes like FYM off a shovel...!

Goes like FYM off a shovel...!

Had a mailshot from Ebuyer last week with them doing a "May madness" one day special offers, this one in particular had a Sandisk 480GB Plus SATA3 SSD drive for 62.49 +vat inc free delivery- approx 25 off the normal price!! Just right as I've been looking on & off at maybe getting one for this work Lenovo work laptop so took the plunge.

Once here I stuck it in a drive caddy, downloaded Macrium Reflect free - http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx and used that to make a mirror copy onto the SSD (although both were approx 480GB there wasn't quite enough space to fit it all on the SSD so it was easy enough to fathom out how to shrink the data partition a tad which I hadn't been able to do easily beforehand under MS disk management- something to do with it the W10 upgrade/installation )

Then took out the original hard drive and popped the SSD one in, power up and away!! Right away the difference is huge, quicker to do everything, its not a slouch having 8mb of memory but the SSD makes it a different beast. Really notice it when I've been off into the workshop and come back to look something up or check emails, tapping a key to wake it up is quicker as is the speed it loads the page after entering the password. Pulling the plug out and shutting the lid is done in seconds now and a cold startup is much faster. Battery life is longer too.

Worth every penny, especially after killing time in Maplins this afternoon, low and behold they had a whole display of Sandisk SSD's.................mine was there for 109

Re: Goes like FYM off a shovel...!

SSD is the way to go. No doubt about that. Boot up in seconds here - literally. Shut down just as fast. Big programs like PowerDirector video editing is a dream now.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    SSD is the way to go. No doubt about that. Boot up in seconds here - literally. Shut down just as fast. Big programs like PowerDirector video editing is a dream now.
    Hark at Cecil B Demille here! Haven't got to trying that sort of stuff on it yet

The prices must be dropping quite a bit on bigger ones now - my main desktop is about 4 years old now and has a 128GB SSD for C drive - which was rather a lot extra when I got it - plus a 2TB conventional storage drive
    I'm now having to be quite careful about keeping the SSD uncluttered as Windows takes up half of it!
    Definitely should have been twice the size ideally.
    I suppose in theory a larger one could be installed with similar technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    The prices must be dropping quite a bit on bigger ones now - my main desktop is about 4 years old now and has a 128GB SSD for C drive - which was rather a lot extra when I got it - plus a 2TB conventional storage drive
    I'm now having to be quite careful about keeping the SSD uncluttered as Windows takes up half of it!
    Definitely should have been twice the size ideally.
    I suppose in theory a larger one could be installed with similar technique.

Done caddy to caddy cloning before but was impressed with the freebie MAcrium software which does all sorts besides the simple cloning.

One unexpected bonus has been when I take this laptop to see my 96 yr old mum, pre SSD she would be on edge waiting for it to restart and load the OS, then a short delay to get Notepad up with it set to 96 font so she can make out the bold text.

Now its open the lid, move a chair next to hers and its up and away. Tablets and laptops are the only way to communicate now her eyesight is all but gone, but the trick is dealing with the dementia- simple words and short sentences quickly typed before her mind has forgotten what she was asking - She asks how these computery things work but thats all a bit too OTT for her!!