Thread: Cutting tin sheets.

Cutting tin sheets.

Can anyone tell me the best way of cutting 0.5mm box profile cladding sheets please ? I'm sure this subject has been covered before but I can't find it. I don't have a nibbler and although I can cut them with a cutting disk in an angle grinder I reckon that might burn the paint off. Can I buy and fit a nibbler in my electric drill or impact driver ? Or do people hire nibblers out ? TIA.

Re: Cutting tin sheets.

I find the skinny disk on the 4.5 inch grinder is fine for cutting them

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere6920s View Post
    I find the skinny disk on the 4.5 inch grinder is fine for cutting them
    Thanks for that JD, that is what I have and will probably use. I only have a small amount to cut (hopefully !) and so it's not worth spending a lot of money on buying a nibbler but just wondered if I had got other options. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Thanks for that JD, that is what I have and will probably use. I only have a small amount to cut (hopefully !) and so it's not worth spending a lot of money on buying a nibbler but just wondered if I had got other options. Thanks again.
    We did ours with a skinny disc too and were surprised by how little evidence of heat there was after the cut. It'll cope better with the profile than a nibbler will too I think.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    We did ours with a skinny disc too and were surprised by how little evidence of heat there was after the cut. It'll cope better with the profile than a nibbler will too I think.
    Thanks FB. The last shed I had put up the chaps used nibblers and it made a super job. Biggest problem was the swarf left all over the place I'll have a go with my 4" angle grinder and "skinny" disc. Is there any special skinny disc I should use or should I use the ones I have which will cut bricks and virtually anything ?

Have you got the sheeting?
    We put up a shed lately and couldn't get any box profile the same as the last shed that was put up about 10 years ago.
    I use globe skinny disks I find them good just a word of warning they will break and fly if you are leaning sideways.
    Shouldn't be a problem for this job but for others

Yes JD, I have bought the sheeting. Only on little sheds and outhouses. Currently covered with asbestos & Onduline so not a massive job. Thanks for the tip about the discs disintegrating. Job for the Wife perhaps ? Only joking.

Thanks FB. The last shed I had put up the chaps used nibblers and it made a super job. Biggest problem was the swarf left all over the place I'll have a go with my 4" angle grinder and "skinny" disc. Is there any special skinny disc I should use or should I use the ones I have which will cut bricks and virtually anything ?
    Well our nibbler was terrible, it was second hand though so perhaps that's why it was passed on! No suggestions on which make of disc I'm afraid, we just used one designed to cut steel. I agree with JD though that they go bang fairly easily if you're not careful, your safety precautions sound very sensible to me...
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Well our nibbler was terrible, it was second hand though so perhaps that's why it was passed on! No suggestions on which make of disc I'm afraid, we just used one designed to cut steel. I agree with JD though that they go bang fairly easily if you're not careful, your safety precautions sound very sensible to me...
    The problem is that she reads this Forum. If I go missing would you send a search party please ? And tell everyone not to wear black ties and definitely no flowers.

Can anyone tell me the best way of cutting 0.5mm box profile cladding sheets please ? I'm sure this subject has been covered before but I can't find it. I don't have a nibbler and although I can cut them with a cutting disk in an angle grinder I reckon that might burn the paint off. Can I buy and fit a nibbler in my electric drill or impact driver ? Or do people hire nibblers out ? TIA.
    Searched using "1mm cutting disc" - http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...t=cutting+disc

Best discs seem to be marked as "Stainless steel"

Same job. Just getting round to it.

I've had a few break and fly.
    If your cutting at an awkward angle esp.
    They are fast to cut but don't last that long.
    I'd say I use the 4.5 inch grinder alot more than the 9 inch

You can get a saw blade that fits a circular saw and cuts metal sheeting.
    tct saw
    we have the small version and cuts up sheeting no problem. No heat to melt the edge of the sheeting
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

I had a go with a metal cutting disc on a 4" angle grinder today. I was NOT impressed. I fancy one of these stuck on the end of my airline for the bit that I've got to do. http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-air-nibbler/3190h#_=p

I had a go with a metal cutting disc on a 4" angle grinder today. I was NOT impressed. I fancy one of these stuck on the end of my airline for the bit that I've got to do. http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-air-nibbler/3190h#_=p

Never seen or looked for 4" dia 1mm discs, use the one 4" we have just with a sanding pad & disc. Use the 115mm- 4.5" 1mm stainless steel discs all the time in the 4-5 grinders we have dotted around the farms, admittedly you have to treat it like a lady otherwise it'll end in tears, but with a little practice they go well. Unlike std cutting disc where you can go deep into a slot/cut with them the 4.5" 1mm disc are better on shallow work and don't cut thin stuff "straight on" especially thin tin like yours where it flexe's/chatters and ruins a disc PDQ

Would of thought a nibbler would be ok on corrugated but would it have trouble getting around the "corners" that box profile sheets have on their ribs? Never tried one.

I wouldn't a$ed cutting tin sheets with a 4" grinder. A 9" with a slitting disc will go across in seconds or you can clamp half a dozen together with a couple of pieces of wood and G-clamps and cut them that way.

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/evolution...FUORGwod-A8NBA

I have one of these , the diamond tip blade lasts a long time ,it cuts through steel sheets for fun , if you only used for sheets the blade would last years ,its when you use for heavier steel the blades can come under pressure.
    These blue ones are the best , the orange(Rage) ones sold by screwfix aren't very powerful not that the blue ones exactly industrial quality , they are cheap and OK for a Farmer like me .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Sorry folks but there is absolutely no way I would ever go back to cutting sheets with either an angle grinder with a cutting disc or a saw with a metal-cutting blade now. I bought a blade for the saw and tried it and again I wasn't impressed. I really wanted the Screwfix Erbauer nibbler but no local depots had one so bought a Silverline one from Toolstaion. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94326?table=no The instructions are rubbish but found some videos on Google which showed that you can turn the die through 90 degrees and that makes it easy to cut profile sheets. It is a bit fiddly going round the valleys but not too bad when you've got the hang of it.

I also emailed Silverline through their web site to see if I could turn the handle 180 degrees so that I could have the on/off lever on the top instead of on the bottom but no replay. I'm not holding my breath !!! I'm not sure how long the die and cutter will last for but spares are sold in packs and because it only needs 5cfm it will run off my noddy compressor which makes it very portable.

If anyone is really that interested I'll make a video and put it up on YouTube.

Sorry folks but there is absolutely no way I would ever go back to cutting sheets with either an angle grinder with a cutting disc or a saw with a metal-cutting blade now. I bought a blade for the saw and tried it and again I wasn't impressed. I really wanted the Screwfix Erbauer nibbler but no local depots had one so bought a Silverline one from Toolstaion. http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p94326?table=no The instructions are rubbish but found some videos on Google which showed that you can turn the die through 90 degrees and that makes it easy to cut profile sheets. It is a bit fiddly going round the valleys but not too bad when you've got the hang of it.

I also emailed Silverline through their web site to see if I could turn the handle 180 degrees so that I could have the on/off lever on the top instead of on the bottom but no replay. I'm not holding my breath !!! I'm not sure how long the die and cutter will last for but spares are sold in packs and because it only needs 5cfm it will run off my noddy compressor which makes it very portable.

If anyone is really that interested I'll make a video and put it up on YouTube.
    As a matter of intrest what was wrong with the grinder for cutting them

Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere6920s View Post
    As a matter of intrest what was wrong with the grinder for cutting them
    Various things really. Firstly I wasn't keen on the possibility of a disc shattering. Had that happen once and it didn't end well. Then I am convinced that the polyester coating adjacent to the cut is damaged. I know that this is usually hidden either under the ridge or the sheet above. But the worst thing is the finish it leaves. Horrible ragged edge just waiting to rip hands and even gloves.

I'm never that keen on sparks flying everywhere either. I know that happens when using the grinder anyway but if it can be avoided so much the better. I can see the attraction of cutting many sheets on top of one abother at the same time and if you have a long run to do then maybe it makes sense. But I had a new shed put up 3 years ago and they only used nibblers on the tin work although I suspect they were a more "professional" type than I have bought. If you Google "nibbler" there are lots of examples on there (as usual most are rubbish videos !!!) and I only found one that showed profiled metal sheets being cut but it looked good enough to me.

I am only cutting 0.5mm sheets but most of these things are claimed to be good for up to 1.5mm although I expect the punch and die useage would be much higher. I have also now got a tool that I could cut metal with for other uses. Maybe if I wanted to make a guard or something like that. At 24.98 minus the VAT it was a no brainer for me. I also bought a pack of 5 spare punches for 5.94 minus the VAT but haven't needed to change one yet. The dies are a bit more money, a 5 pack for 16.32. My only gripe is the crappy instructions, i.e. there aren't any. It says in one place "ON NO ACCOUNT USE ENGINE OIL FOR LUBRICATION" but doesn't tell you what you should use.