Thread: Over seeding after first cut

Over seeding after first cut

How successful Is direct drilling after first cut.

Re: Over seeding after first cut

Tried both direct drilling on silage/grazing ground & oversowing grazing but not had brilliant success with either. Happy to now plough & sow rather than mess around with any other method. I'm sure others will have had better success but for me personally it's not an option.

We've tried it on a field which was grazed very tight with sheep early spring and there was some improvement.I think quite a bit of luck is involved to get a nice bit of rain soon after sowing and perhaps minimal fert so the old stuff doesn't swamp it.Any improvement seems to be rather subtle and ongoing management is important.The only answer really is to try a limited area and see what you think.Seed is very pricey to throw about without much benefit, however I thought the contractor drilling cost was reasonable.

As above, I'm dubious about over-seeding or direct drilling, I have had some good results, but I have also had some results which were indifferent.

The problem you will have is that like most of my dirt, you have a huge reservoir of weed grasses and their seeds in your ground. The second any of your existing sward becomes open, the first thing to try and grow there is either a broad leaved weed, or worse, a weed grass like annual meadow grass or the like.

I see it in reseeding from time to time, too. Even where they have ploughed. Some corner is cut, or the seed bed isn't good enough, or the old ley wasn't destroyed, or it was drilled too late in the season; you name it, and suddenly the grass doesn't take and establish as fast as it should, and you end up with meadow grass and rubbish in it.

With overseeding you want a seed rate of at least 10kg/acre or it's only half a job I find. People try to use the more vigorous varieties so that they get going faster, so in go the hybrids and the like, but of course, these aren't the longest lasting of grasses to begin with, so I tend to view overseeding etc as a tool you can use to stave off the inevitable for a while, extend the life of a ley for a few years, rather than a complete replacement for proper ploughing etc.

Of course the other more obvious question is what happened to get the existing ley into a state where it needed replacement, but that is another story.

Given the value of grass as a forage, and the margins that can be obtained, I would strongly advise against trying to cut any corners with grass. If your gut is telling you something is wrong, you know full well as I do that you're pushing it.

Also, lastly, for anyone reseeding grass to grass this year, please spray the old ley off in good time this year, and leave it for as long as possible before reseeding- to break the frit fly cycle.

Remember, all that is green is not necessarily golden:

images upload

My limited experience says,

grass seed is too expensive to be "scoushed" in,
    wait till August-September and do the the job properly,
    arable farmers should be banned from instating grass,,, as most of them do it the same way as a cereal crop,,, and then wonder why it's rough as buggery when they drive across it after "you" have silage X it for them,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster