Thread: Iron in cows drinking water

Iron in cows drinking water

Hi All, I am looking for any advice on high iron levels in cows drinking water. I'm getting mixed advice from "the cows will get used to it/don't worry about it", to online articles from the US/NZ saying it causes major problems. I have heard that a farmer at Glastonbury had major problems and was on the point of fitting a costly filtration unit until somebody said put a magnet on the water pipe, which he did and it cured the problems. Has anybody had similar experience and what length/strength of magnets should I go for? Thanks in advance.

Re: Iron in cows drinking water

Quote Originally Posted by Inherently stupid View Post
    Hi All, I am looking for any advice on high iron levels in cows drinking water. I'm getting mixed advice from "the cows will get used to it/don't worry about it", to online articles from the US/NZ saying it causes major problems. I have heard that a farmer at Glastonbury had major problems and was on the point of fitting a costly filtration unit until somebody said put a magnet on the water pipe, which he did and it cured the problems. Has anybody had similar experience and what length/strength of magnets should I go for? Thanks in advance.
    What do you call high iron levels, what class of stock are you watering and how many are there on the supply? I've no experience of the magnet idea but if you're stuffing lots of water past a single point with the aim being to pull very small particles out of suspension I'd be sceptical as to the effectiveness of it personally. Could be completely wrong though
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Re: Iron in cows drinking water

Iron in the water will cause lockup of copper and selenium. We have a shakesby filter to reduce the levels in the borewater. No experience of magnets but interesting view