Thread: Turning up the diesel pump on 35

Turning up the diesel pump on 35

I want to turn up the diesel pump on our MF 35 but i just don't know where to start. What do i look for on the injector pump??

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Turning up the diesel pump on 35

The best advice is to remove the pump and take it to a diesel engineer. It used to cost me 25 but that's a long time ago.it is possible to do it on the tractor but it's not that exact and fiddly. Basically you remove the side plate on the pump and go in with a spanner and slacken the two screws that hold the cage on the cam ring that sets the maximum the rollers can open out into the cam and rotate the mechanism slightly then retighten the screws and refit the cover. it's likely the cover gasket will tear so you need to have a new one available. Utmost cleanliness is essential including the spanner! I have couple of old pumps lying around so if you are not in a hurry I will post some pictures later of the process. The amount of adjustment you likely need is about the width of a good scratch mark. Tip__I always scratched a reference mark as to where I started. You can blow up a turbo engine real easy at this caper but on a NA engine you just get a load of smoke if you overdo it. Too much smoke is pointless and shortens the life of the engine by going past the rings etc over time. Although it can be done easy enough you need to have a good think about whether it should be done. For all it used to cost me I always got the pumps bench tested and any issues sorted at the same time. If you have a worn cam ring more fuel is not going to restore original performance. Look out for pics and better explanation here later if you really must do it. Off to work now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agri Spec View Post
    I want to turn up the diesel pump on our MF 35 but i just don't know where to start. What do i look for on the injector pump??
    Why? What are you going to do that you could not before?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Why? What are you going to do that you could not before?
    Tractor pulling?
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Tractor pulling?
    The injector pump was turned down slightly when we bought it and im sick of only being able to to 12 mph

Is there a working rev counter on the tractor? Is it not revving out to full throttle? Turning up the pump usually refers to the amount of fuel being delivered. Sounds like you only needs more revs which doesn't require removal or any dismantling of the pump.
    On the top of the pump you'll see a lever that is moved by a rod when you move the throttle. There are 2 small bolts that the lever moves against at each end of it's travel. Idle speed and full speed.The full speed bolt is the one nearest the back end of the pump and may still have a cover and wire seal on it,which will need removing. Simply loosen the lock nut back a couple of turns and back off the bolt. Don't over do it and retighten the lock nut.If the rev clock is working,full throttle is around 21-2200rpm.Don't exceed that.

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    Is there a working rev counter on the tractor? Is it not revving out to full throttle? Turning up the pump usually refers to the amount of fuel being delivered. Sounds like you only needs more revs which doesn't require removal or any dismantling of the pump.
    On the top of the pump you'll see a lever that is moved by a rod when you move the throttle. There are 2 small bolts that the lever moves against at each end of it's travel. Idle speed and full speed.The full speed bolt is the one nearest the back end of the pump and may still have a cover and wire seal on it,which will need removing. Simply loosen the lock nut back a couple of turns and back off the bolt. Don't over do it and retighten the lock nut.If the rev clock is working,full throttle is around 21-2200rpm.Don't exceed that.
    Thanks i will have a go at that tomorrow

The tractor was just not revving high enough. I fixed the issue but is there any chance of the enging doing damage to itself because it hasent revved that high in a long time?