Thread: Battery charger/starter

Post Battery charger/starter

Heya,
    I have had a Sealey service 200 battery charger/starter for several years now and it won't charge batteries anymore, when you move the dial to charge it tries to start them with a massive v overload.
    I'm assuming it's beyond repair since I cannot see a voltage regulator which I would guess as the problem culprit.

Sealey, Clarke, Draper any experience good or bad? I was always told to charge as low an amperage as possible, not sure if this is right.
    Any thoughts, hints or ideas for a good replacement?
    Cheers

Re: Battery charger/starter

Quote Originally Posted by Maervale View Post
    Heya,
    I have had a Sealey service 200 battery charger/starter for several years now and it won't charge batteries anymore, when you move the dial to charge it tries to start them with a massive v overload.
    I'm assuming it's beyond repair since I cannot see a voltage regulator which I would guess as the problem culprit.

Sealey, Clarke, Draper any experience good or bad? I was always told to charge as low an amperage as possible, not sure if this is right.
    Any thoughts, hints or ideas for a good replacement?
    Cheers
    I have had a sealey 300 or 320? for years and years, a couple of years ago it stopped working. took it apart and one of the wires had broken off the transforma? in side it wouldn't solder back on so just about managed to crimp a normal blue crimp joiner on it. Given it a second lease of life

Vapormatic had a fantastic deal on a big booster charger a while back but they sold out real quick I did manage to get one for a customer in the end but they don't sell them any more. Had a timer function on it and a cooling fan! I think this is the newer version of it? http://www.batterychargers.com/se-6030/

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    I have had a sealey 300 or 320? for years and years, a couple of years ago it stopped working. took it apart and one of the wires had broken off the transforma? in side it wouldn't solder back on so just about managed to crimp a normal blue crimp joiner on it. Given it a second lease of life

Vapormatic had a fantastic deal on a big booster charger a while back but they sold out real quick I did manage to get one for a customer in the end but they don't sell them any more. Had a timer function on it and a cooling fan! I think this is the newer version of it? http://www.batterychargers.com/se-6030/

See they are trying again with this months flyer? It seems similar to your description-

https://www.vapormatic.com/tractor-p..._product_email

But dear old google found this-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-Aut...item5b1f117bfd

199 including vat & delivery

I'm assuming the seller has put the word Sealey in the listing to attract punters out there searching? I see the brand has some US history- http://www.batterychargers.com/our-story/

At 165 it should be a good replacement for the old Sealey charger we had at the grainstore/quarry farm- it had the manitou run over it during harvest which wasn't a great loss given its age and condition, I think the workshops old Lucas 12/24v I bought in the early 80's will "retire" replacing the Sealey seeing as all the 24v kit is in the quarry. A modern 12v unit with timer will be more suitable in the workshop nowadays
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    See they are trying again with this months flyer? It seems similar to your description-

I'm assuming the seller has put the word Sealey in the listing to attract punters out there searching? I see the brand has some US history- http://www.batterychargers.com/our-story/

At 165 it should be a good replacement for the old Sealey charger we had at the grainstore/quarry farm- it had the manitou run over it during harvest which wasn't a great loss given its age and condition, I think the workshops old Lucas 12/24v I bought in the early 80's will "retire" replacing the Sealey seeing as all the 24v kit is in the quarry. A modern 12v unit with timer will be more suitable in the workshop nowadays
    I thought vap had discontinued it? but looks like it back again? not on special offer though! RRP is 525 plus vat! for a short time they were knocking them out at a much better price although maybe not as good as the ebay one. I liked the idea of the timer function as well

That ebay one does indeed look the same and is a great price for a decent charger if your in the market for one FF get and buy it! I think they do 12/24v ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    That ebay one does indeed look the same and is a great price for a decent charger if your in the market for one FF get and buy it! I think they do 12/24v ones as well.

Estimated delivery Thursday

Also been onto FFX again-

124 for a bare wrench- it will use the batteries for the 1/2" wrench and the grinder and runs rings around the old wrench my son left when he went to Oz - had that re-celled at about 45 18months ago- they are on their way out already so went for one of these this time.

Estimated delivery Thursday

Also been onto FFX again-

124 for a bare wrench- it will use the batteries for the 1/2" wrench and the grinder and runs rings around the old wrench my son left when he went to Oz - had that re-celled at about 45 18months ago- they are on their way out already so went for one of these this time.
    Um I got my first Milwaukee warranty claim FF! My fuel grinder which I bought Dec last year has been fantastic tool and hardly used the corded one but got it out of the van on sunday to use and it didn't work at all, nothing. its being collected by Milwaukee tomorrow for repairs

Update on this charger, its turning out not to be so user friendly as the sealey it replaces nor the good old stalwart Lucas mainly because it more of a technicians charger requiring a little bit of sussing out what you want it to charge and setting the dials. The voltmeter is good though as it gives you a good idea from when you start thru the process to afterwards. The timer knob is looking to be the bugbear here, its been well over-wound and now doesn't work. Looking to source a new one and although it looks like its a common yankee microwave timer it doesn't have the bell that dings nor do they turn backwards to give you permanently on feature the charger requires.

Trying to source a new timer and all should be away again, just need to educate users a bit more

...... The timer knob is looking to be the bugbear here, its been well over-wound and now doesn't work. Looking to source a new one and although it looks like its a common yankee microwave timer it doesn't have the bell that dings nor do they turn backwards to give you permanently on feature the charger requires.

Trying to source a new timer and all should be away again, just need to educate users a bit more
    Do you really need the timer? Could you bypass it, wired permanently on?

I've come to the conclusion that the good old cast iron charger (transformer, bridge rectifier & voltage regulator) still has it's place. It seems the new electronic chargers can't handle a battery which is all but dead (but not completely, as was John Cleese's parrot) and simply throw a "fault" state & give up.

An hour or two on the hard metal, jamming 2 amps in, creates enough life for the electonics to recognise & take over.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that the good old cast iron charger (transformer, bridge rectifier & voltage regulator) still has it's place. It seems the new electronic chargers can't handle a battery which is all but dead (but not completely, as was John Cleese's parrot) and simply throw a "fault" state & give up.

An hour or two on the hard metal, jamming 2 amps in, creates enough life for the electonics to recognise & take over.

JV
    Haven't had to try it yet myself, but I have been told that with a battery like that you hook another one to it in parallel (jumper cables) then hook your charger to the good one and that it would charge the other, if it would take a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Do you really need the timer? Could you bypass it, wired permanently on?
    The idea was that it would avoid a similar situation that happens with the Lucas charger- its fully auto to about 40 years ago standard, works well with slow/medium/fast+start rates of charge, but either they stick a tired battery on it at too high a rate which won't take long before it needs the charge rate dropping down as it clicks on and off charge, or they put one on thats got a duff cell on the low setting and forget about it until usually someone smell the rotten eggs gas where the duff cell is boiling away. If it had a timer on it we'd have the best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post

JV
    Your not wrong John, we've had 2 of the new ultra modern chargers and both lasted less than 2 years each before going puff. they are no different to the Lucas charger if the battery won't take a charge except they eventually pack up when they do get a near clapped battery/sulphated cell, where as the lucas will sit there clicking away cutting in and out, in and out!

Your not wrong John, we've had 2 of the new ultra modern chargers and both lasted less than 2 years each before going puff. they are no different to the Lucas charger if the battery won't take a charge except they eventually pack up when they do get a near clapped battery/sulphated cell, where as the lucas will sit there clicking away cutting in and out, in and out!
    I have flattened a couple of batteries by carelessness in the past over a short time and picked them up with the so-called smart Ring by jumping another battery to the flat one. I know flattening a battery usually permanently knackers it but it worked (perhaps with reduced capacity/life).

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    I have flattened a couple of batteries by carelessness in the past over a short time and picked them up with the so-called smart Ring by jumping another battery to the flat one. I know flattening a battery usually permanently knackers it but it worked (perhaps with reduced capacity/life).
    Yeah, I read about that somewhere else recently. Must remember for when the cast iron charger dies.

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Yes if either of the 2 big chargers aren't around (eventually I'll stop being spoilt and send the old Lucas one up to replace the sealey one our under manager reversed over ) using a slave battery certainly fools the smart charger. Both the 2 we had seemed to suffer from damp, I wonder if being on the concrete floor wasn't the best place?

Turns out that Sealey are the importers/spares people for Schumacher- and explains why the ebay seller had their name in the description. - had this reply earlier which I thought is very reasonable considering the price of some things!

The item you require is PWI70300.02 Timer @ 5.99 + vat

Carriage 3.95 + vat

Stock is currently available.

The idea was that it would avoid a similar situation that happens with the Lucas charger- its fully auto to about 40 years ago standard, works well with slow/medium/fast+start rates of charge, but either they stick a tired battery on it at too high a rate which won't take long before it needs the charge rate dropping down as it clicks on and off charge, or they put one on thats got a duff cell on the low setting and forget about it until usually someone smell the rotten eggs gas where the duff cell is boiling away. If it had a timer on it we'd have the best of both worlds!
    Yeah, perhaps the timer is worth having under those circumstances.