Thread: MF 4355 Getting Hot

MF 4355 Getting Hot

I have a Massey 4355 (4600hrs) which sits on a straw chopper all winter and is then used on a krone 6 rotor tedder and bale trailer in the summer. The tractor is fairly dusty come the spring having chopped straw all winter but we always pull all the radiators out and give a really good blast out with the pressure washer, however it still is inclined to get hot pulling the tedder on the steep or if its working hard pulling trailers. this is the second year its been like it and we were doubly sure to blow it out well this year. Any Ideas why its getting hot? It would go into the red if we pushed it but we are always careful to stop and let it cool. could it be the temperature gauge giving a false reading?
    Last edited by hill5455; 09-06-16 at 11:01 PM.

Re: MF 4355 Getting Hot

Quote Originally Posted by hill5455 View Post
    I have a Massey 4355 (4600hrs) which sits on a straw chopper all winter and is then used on a krone 6 rotor tedder and bale trailer in the summer. The tractor is fairly dusty come the spring having chopped straw all winter but we always pull all the radiators out and give a really good blast out with the pressure washer, however it still is inclined to get hot pulling the tedder on the steep or if its working hard pulling trailers. this is the second year its been like it and we were doubly sure to blow it out well this year. Any Ideas why its getting hot? It would go into the red if we pushed it but we are always careful to stop and let it cool. could it be the thermostat giving a false reading?

Unfamiliar with your model tractor, but I reckon the reply you will get will be to remove the rad entirely and "blast" through the core dead in line with the core/fins first from the fan side and then the otherside, repeating until using a light source you can see 100% clearly through the core.

Also if its not had one, change the thermostat while your there, plus, drain out as much coolant as possible, fill with water to run up and test it to see if it now runs cooler. If its ok, drain off as much of the water as possible so there is virtually nil old antifreeze left, then refill with 50% antifreeze. ( besides replacing the old antifreeze there could be a chance that it has been topped up with too much which will lower the boiling point of the coolant.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Unfamiliar with your model tractor, but I reckon the reply you will get will be to remove the rad entirely and "blast" through the core dead in line with the core/fins first from the fan side and then the otherside, repeating until using a light source you can see 100% clearly through the core.

Also if its not had one, change the thermostat while your there, plus, drain out as much coolant as possible, fill with water to run up and test it to see if it now runs cooler. If its ok, drain off as much of the water as possible so there is virtually nil old antifreeze left, then refill with 50% antifreeze. ( besides replacing the old antifreeze there could be a chance that it has been topped up with too much which will lower the boiling point of the coolant.

Cheers, will look into that, could be something to do with antifreeze as Dad is fairly liberal with the antifreeze can when it starts to get cold.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

The more antifreeze in the system the better within reason as it can transfer more heat than water. As FF says it would be worthwhile popping out the thermostat to be sure one is fitted and indeed for all it would cost I'd replace it anyway. A lot of modern engines cannot be run without a thermostat or the correct thermostat as it makes them overheat so be make sure someone hasn't fitted a generic one instead of the absolutely correct one. I am not familiar with that model of tractor so don't know if the thermostat has the sometimes essential disc to cover the recirculation port that you find on many machines nowadays. I do know that I have seen the recirculation port closing type thermostat on some models of Perkins.Fitting a generic thermostat without a port closing disc or no thermostat at all where one is required pretty much guarantees the engine will overheat in heavy work as the water will recirculate around the block instead of going through the radiator. I'd go to a Massey dealer and buy the genuine thermostat as far too many spurious offerings are not right in my experience. Look at the ones with discs here and appreciate the right opening temperature and "it fits the hole" may not be the correct spec.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...car+thermostat

Cheers, will look into that, could be something to do with antifreeze as Dad is fairly liberal with the antifreeze can when it starts to get cold.
    maybe use an anti-freeze tester before draining? might help to determine if too strong a mixture could be part of the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    maybe use an anti-freeze tester before draining? might help to determine if too strong a mixture could be part of the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    The more antifreeze in the system the better within reason as it can transfer more heat than water. As FF says it would be worthwhile popping out the thermostat to be sure one is fitted and indeed for all it would cost I'd replace it anyway. A lot of modern engines cannot be run without a thermostat or the correct thermostat as it makes them overheat so be make sure someone hasn't fitted a generic one instead of the absolutely correct one. I am not familiar with that model of tractor so don't know if the thermostat has the sometimes essential disc to cover the recirculation port that you find on many machines nowadays. I do know that I have seen the recirculation port closing type thermostat on some models of Perkins.Fitting a generic thermostat without a port closing disc or no thermostat at all where one is required pretty much guarantees the engine will overheat in heavy work as the water will recirculate around the block instead of going through the radiator. I'd go to a Massey dealer and buy the genuine thermostat as far too many spurious offerings are not right in my experience. Look at the ones with discs here and appreciate the right opening temperature and "it fits the hole" may not be the correct spec.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...car+thermostat

Cheers for the advice, sounds like a good idea to change the thermostat if its not going to cost much, then can rule that out for sure.

I've never heard of an antifreeze tester till now but might get one of them as well to give a bit of an idea of how much antifreeze is in the tractors.

Cheers for the advice, sounds like a good idea to change the thermostat if its not going to cost much, then can rule that out for sure.

I've never heard of an antifreeze tester till now but might get one of them as well to give a bit of an idea of how much antifreeze is in the tractors.
    Popular brand on "this side of the pond" is made by / for Prestone (not sure what chemical company makes the Prestone brand of anti-freeze).