Thread: database for working with sales contracts and loads of crop, fertilizer etc.

database for working with sales contracts and loads of crop, fertilizer etc.

Hello,

a cash cropping farm works with sales contracts, truck loads, shipping of truck loads, delivered fertilizer, which can be partly still in store.

During the years I perceive some inconveniences regarding the overview of these goods issue.

I.e. Excel is not ideal for these tasks, it is just too much data.
    How do you work with the recording of these entities?

Regards Niels Andre

Re: database for working with sales contracts and loads of crop, fertilizer etc.

Have you considered exporting your Excel data into MS Access and working with it there?

Re: database for working with sales contracts and loads of crop, fertilizer etc.

Access is probably the best solution, try googling “designing an access database”........this will give you examples of what you are after.
    Will need someone who knows how to do it.

A project for a relational database surely ?

watto

Clearly I have no idea of you coding skills but from experience you may need to bit the bullet and pay a programmer to set up the code for you

Quote Originally Posted by watto View Post
    Clearly I have no idea of you coding skills but from experience you may need to bit the bullet and pay a programmer to set up the code for you
    +1

swagger

The trick to getting a good long-term solution for this sort of application is to spend enough time and thought right at the start getting the design of the data structures correct. Once that's done, it's relatively easy to get Access to do the manipulation required for data entry, recording and reporting.
    But as this thread is now nearly two years old, I suspect the OP has moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by nielsandre View Post
    Hello,

a cash cropping farm works with sales contracts, truck loads, shipping of truck loads, delivered fertilizer, which can be partly still in store.

During the years I perceive some inconveniences regarding the overview of these goods issue.

I.e. Excel is not ideal for these tasks, it is just too much data.
    How do you work with the recording of these entities?

Regards Niels Andre
    If you are a Windows user then Microsoft's Access database would be a good place to start. It's fairly straight forward for end users to create data input / access screens and to design database tables.

You could also use Excel but if there is any complexity to the data relationships or data handling you may have to write some Excel macros that would probably mean getting a coder to do this for you.

Hi there, setting up a database is actually quite simple and intuitive. What you need is mySQL installed on your computer (there are many alternatives out there, but this one is one of the most widely supported/intuitive to set up). If it's your first time it only takes a few hours to set up and get everything you need running. Here's a good Youtube tutorial on how it works and what you can do with it. No need for a programmer, this will save you the money. Even a 60 something year old guy like me can do it, so can you.

If you have any technical questions feel free to ask me or my daughter who is working overseas as a Computer Science Professor (and free due to the Ontario's teacher strike that has been going on lately).

Cheers,
    Kev