Thread: Massey 3645 problems

Massey 3645 problems

Hi all - I have recently bought a Massey 3645 and as always (despite what you are led to believe!) there are some issues. To be honest with a 20 year old tractor i expect them but I am having trouble with the forward / reverse shuttle. Often it will not engage so you lift off the clutch and nothing happens. I think it is just a linkage problem because if i shift it manually (under the cab) then it seems to work fine. I have tried adjusting the linkage and it is a little better but still not quite right. There seems to be quite alot of play in the shaft that the linkage attaches to - is there anything i can do about that? There is also significant play in the 1-4 gear linkage making selecting the gears difficult. The level that slides over the shaft is moving alot and the small "grub" bolt that holds it on no longer tightens down properly to hold it on the shaft - i was thinking about putting a couple of tacks on this with the welder? Finally the clutch is very sharp - there is no progression really on it - more like a switch. The clutch pedeal is also really light which surprised me - i also have a 3120 and this is really quite heavy - is this clutch just worn out? The tractor is a 1994 dynashift.

Any help much appreciated!!

Re: Massey 3645 problems

The square headed grub screw should tighten the lever onto shaft, is the thread on the lump or the bolt gone? Welding should be a last resort!!

Does it have a dry clutch? Last of 36 range had the 61series wet clutch
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

The square headed bolt is there and threads etc intact but the hole on the shaft / bottom of bolt is badly worn. I have tried to re-profile the end of the bolt and it is better but still not holding adequately. The other problem is the sleeve in the bracket and the shaft also have some wear so it is not tight on the shaft. I appreciate that welding is not ideal but I thought that a couple of careful tacks on the end would allow me to grind it back if I ever needed to get it off.

How do I tell if it's a wet or dry clutch? Will the dealer they'll me from the serial number or is there an easier way to tell?

I would say from your description of the light clutch pedal and very jumpy that you have the wet clutch. I drove a 3655 from new and that had a wet clutch and was an pain in the backside, it was either on or off. Quite dangerous trying to hitch something up, at the time the dealers answer was that's just the way they are!
    With regards your gear linkages there is also a nylon ball that the sticks swivel on as they pass through the cab floor. Might be worth replacing them to take up some of the slop.

Thanks for that will look at the nylon balls - agree it is dangerous and not pleasant to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomsonagri View Post
    I would say from your description of the light clutch pedal and very jumpy that you have the wet clutch. I drove a 3655 from new and that had a wet clutch and was an pain in the backside, it was either on or off. Quite dangerous trying to hitch something up, at the time the dealers answer was that's just the way they are!
    With regards your gear linkages there is also a nylon ball that the sticks swivel on as they pass through the cab floor. Might be worth replacing them to take up some of the slop.
    I know the 62 series had a box of electrics that controlled the inching with the clutch. Possibly the 61's as well. When it fails fine control is impossible. Clutch works fine but no gradual uptake , either in or out!
    Square headed bolt sounds very like one we had on an 8130.....would never stay tight lever wobbled all over the place. Tighten it up and back to good crisp gear change......never long before it reverted though. Pig to get at behind the lever.

I have assertained that it does have the wet clutch - any ideas on starting points to try to rectify the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Square headed bolt sounds very like one we had on an 8130.....would never stay tight lever wobbled all over the place. Tighten it up and back to good crisp gear change......never long before it reverted though.
    Maybe try a bit of blue Locktite (the medium grade, not the red permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Maybe try a bit of blue Locktite (the medium grade, not the red permanent?
    or a good old fashioned hole thru the square head and lockwire
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

It could be there is an accumulator for the clutch and it has lost its charge making the clutch jumpy. I know the later 8100 series does.

Already has a tie wire but still is coming loose.

Is the accumulator serviceable? What is it charged with?

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
    Already has a tie wire but still is coming loose.

Is the accumulator serviceable? What is it charged with?
    Usually a sphere with a "bag" inside thats charged with Nitrogen to the pressure required through a valve, opposite to that will be the threaded bit to connect to the pipework. Oil compresses the "bag" & gas so its like a "spring"- as oil is used (or leaks!) in the system the gas pushes out oil maintaining pressure until the sphere is empty.

Most hydraulic engineers will be able to test and re-charge the gas, but some of the small ones may be uneconomic to do
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

I think the sharp clutch is almost certainly caused by the accumulator. I think you will find it under the cab on the right hand side connected to a valve block just forward of the gear linkage. As your tractor is dynashift there may be a second one for that and it may be difficult to tell them apart, I believe the clutch one is mounted vertically, the dynashift one at an angle. I'd be tempted to get a new one from MF unless you have someone local who can recharge it to the correct pressure, it is possible the diaphragm has split inside.

The clutch possibly feels lighter than the 3120 as being a dynashift it is a newer design.

Many thanks - i have a local company who have said they think they can look at it for me but i will also price up a new one. The 3120 is also dynashift but that i think has a traditional dry clutch which probably explains the weight of pedal.

Hi All - just thought i would let you know that I got to the bottom of my issues with the forward reverse on my 3645 finally after a year sitting idle!

I was led to believe that it was a clutch issue - far from convinced i agreed to do the clutch and had a local ex MF engineer do the work. Needless to say it wasn't the clutch so split the traxctor again and removed the dynashift pack which contains the forward reverse selector. Once this was out it the problem was obvious - the selector fork was so badly work that it was riding over the selector ring - new selector and back together and works now like a dream! Only issue now is that i have lost the AB range selector and its stuck in low range but investigating this issue now.

Whilst it was in bits i also changed the shafts and worn linkage on the gear selectors on the side cover and thats now slick with no play. So finally got 150HP (ish) on tap for total of 9k with new clutch so not bad really - just a little time to sort it!