Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bamford Swath Turner v/s Vicon Acrobat

Re: Bamford Swath Turner v/s Vicon Acrobat

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    You forgot to mention the joys of a lister bale elevator and stacking your sweet hay in the eaves of black tin dutch barns during the heat of the day............
    Or the joy of a week or ten days after stacking to return and pack it back to make use of the space as the stack settled....heat ....dust......followed by a further spell of the very very end of the listers capabilities.
    An Uncle had a Cook elevator. Much superior effort, chain up the middle with wooden sides fair bit longer,so height was not a problem....seem to remember height was adjusted by wire cables.....another good point was the loading end stayed on the ground......not four foot in the air like the Lister.

Ah, a nostalgia thread

We had a Lely elevator. The castor wheels were really handy for getting it in position but the loading height was a killer as well.

I have to admit my earliest experience of tedders was using a folded up centipede as a climbing frame, as a kid

We did have a neighbour who swore by his Dickie and Cock-pheasant, though. Till '85 when he had to admit defeat and come for a loan of our Gemini
    He bought himself one the following year

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Or the joy of a week or ten days after stacking to return and pack it back to make use of the space as the stack settled....heat ....dust......followed by a further spell of the very very end of the listers capabilities.
    An Uncle had a Cook elevator. Much superior effort, chain up the middle with wooden sides fair bit longer,so height was not a problem....seem to remember height was adjusted by wire cables.....another good point was the loading end stayed on the ground......not four foot in the air like the Lister.
    Couldn't you turn the Lister round 180 degrees and then cross the belt ? It wouldn't have got right into the top of a Dutch barn but you would have been able to load lorries I think.

Has anyone used an Allis Roto-Baler?

A farmer in next village had one in mid-60's, went to see it working, was amazed at how light the hay bales were and easy to throw up onto the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Couldn't you turn the Lister round 180 degrees and then cross the belt ? It wouldn't have got right into the top of a Dutch barn but you would have been able to load lorries I think.
    Ohh to get the loading end on the ground?
    Can remember one of our neighbours using one to load a batch drier. Belts crossed to reverse the motion, then Lister accessory fitted, metal sheeting on the under side below the bars.....the reverse motion dragged the grain up the tray.
    Earliest memories are of a Lister Blackstone "loose hay" elevator parked up in the corner of the stackyard. About 5ft wide with spiked bars crossover between chains......it folded double somehow......never saw it working. Like this but metal
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=li...i3oCFBUaQYM%3A

The Lister (the modern one) was delivered by the dealer, towed ten miles or so behind a Land Rover. Anything above 6 or 7 mph would have been death defying!

Quote Originally Posted by WIZZO View Post
    Has anyone used an Allis Roto-Baler?
    A farmer in next village had one in mid-60's, went to see it working, was amazed at how light the hay bales were and easy to throw up onto the trailer.
    Sorry Wizzo but nerdy Zaza has used one of those as well on the first farm that I worked on. If the bales were light then they weren't putting enough into them. They just wouldn't bale unless it was fit and you still had to stop while it strung and ejected the bale. And while they stacked O.K.-ish there was quite a bit of space wasted but at least you could get air through a stack. But where I was working we had 4 cowsheds and they had a feeding passage in front of the cows and you just pulled the string off and rolled it out and it was just like it was still in the swath and then you forked it into them. They loved it. We used to use bale hooks to move them. Biggest problem was that there were still quite a lot of non-livedrive tractors about. Sometimes I had to use a Power Major that wasn't live drive and that was a pain to keep knocking it out of gear to string and eject the bale and then to have to engage gear again to go forward.

Earliest memories are of a Lister Blackstone "loose hay" elevator parked up in the corner of the stackyard. About 5ft wide with spiked bars crossover between chains......it folded double somehow......never saw it working. Like this but metal
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=li...i3oCFBUaQYM%3A

The Lister (the modern one) was delivered by the dealer, towed ten miles or so behind a Land Rover. Anything above 6 or 7 mph would have been death defying!
    Quite a few of those around here for loading onto a rick from the back of a threshing drum. Blanch Stack-Hy was the favourite. But I never used one.

Oooooh. I remember acrobats on the farm when I was young. There was a trailed one in the nettles in some ground we used to rent on the other side of town and a mounted one back at the farm. We used our lister bale elevator until the neighbour reversed his matbro into it perhaps 10 years ago, we had the extension you fitted on the end with a chain drive to link it and a central chain with teeth to carry the bales. It used to be handy to tow to a hay customer's property with an awkward barn to reach until the drawbar snapped. Ours had the engine removed and a pto shaft in it's place.

We did have the loose bale elevator described on the scrap heap from when I was really little up until scrap was valuable a few years back.

My Uncle has a roto-baler rotting in next to a barn along with an ED40, and still uses a cock pheasant for tedding, and a hay rake for collecting up whatever they missed when rowing up.

I think we should get all these photos & memories of pre-historic implements transferred into "classic" section as a sticky thread.

This is for GEE - is this the Lister-Blackstone that you remember..?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
    This is for GEE - is this the Lister-Blackstone that you remember..?

I was very very small at the time but that looks very familiar, the bottom picture on the leaflet. Prior to that was the hay pole. Tall pole with an arm at the top that swung around. Pretty sure the bit that grabbed the hay is still tucked away somewhere. Have some pictures somewhere of the hay sweep on one of the first grey fergies.

I was very very small at the time but that looks very familiar, the bottom picture on the leaflet. Prior to that was the hay pole. Tall pole with an arm at the top that swung around. Pretty sure the bit that grabbed the hay is still tucked away somewhere. Have some pictures somewhere of the hay sweep on one of the first grey fergies.

We can see why you've a bad back bending over like that in the bottom picture
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

^^^Given the quantity of cement-dust the chap's probably inhaling, I imagine that his back became the least of his issues

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Yes, I mentioned earlier that sometimes I would tow that behind a baler. They were ideal if you'd got some idiot who kept trying to climb into the bale chamber while waiting to pass. When he eventually made his move you gave just a small wiggle on the steering wheel and the baler would sway gently but the turner would act like a drunken duck and it would be all over the place and the poor soul behind got a bit confused at that stage.
    Yep, I used to tow the bale sledge behind the baler and then the 6 wheeled acrobat behind that ---- Idiotic really
    There are more engines killed through lack of water than through lack of oil

I was given one of the Bamford rakes for free by a farmer down the road from me who was having a clear out of his old barns. It was in very good condition and i decided to make a few minor adjustments to it and now its by far the best rake I've ever used. I have never used it for swath turning by moving the wheels around but i decided to put a hydraulic ram on it to be able to raise and lower from the tractor, and also put an extra notch in the back wheel movement so it raked on a slightly steeper angle to make row slightly larger. It occasionally used to block up in a heavy crop on the back 1 or 2 wheels but i decided to install plastic centres instead of the old tin ones and now it slides past much easier and very rarely gets caught up! Chap i have come and small bale for me says this rake sweeps field cleaner than his rotary rake and makes just as nice a windrow!
    Main downside i have found to this rake is that it doesn't travel very nicely behind the tractor as you are going down the road. Is this just me or do others have same problem?
    Would be interested to hear any other modifications people have made to the rake?