Thread: Drilling holes for gate hangings

Drilling holes for gate hangings

What do people use to drill holes for gate hangings? Our old contractor used a generator and large drill to power a 20mm auger bit through 8" posts with difficulty.
    We have a 18v cordless hitachi combi drill and sds hammer drill and wondered if these would be up to it with what drill bit or do I have to get a generator and corded drill?
    Tried the combi on the auger bit and it did not like it!

Thanks

Re: Drilling holes for gate hangings

Usually an old brace and bit even if there is power available.
    With a half decent proper wood cutting drill/auger thing it's not a long job.

Quote Originally Posted by countryclem View Post
    What do people use to drill holes for gate hangings? Our old contractor used a generator and large drill to power a 20mm auger bit through 8" posts with difficulty.
    We have a 18v cordless hitachi combi drill and sds hammer drill and wondered if these would be up to it with what drill bit or do I have to get a generator and corded drill?
    Tried the combi on the auger bit and it did not like it!

Thanks
    Use an old Makita 18 volt with a proper flat bladed wood boring bit.
    Available up to a foot or eighteen inches long. Makes light work of the job.
    Use a few sizes to suit square sections and round threaded bits of crooks.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-fla...FRFmGwodvpAEBg

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Use an old Makita 18 volt with a proper flat bladed wood boring bit.
    Available up to a foot or eighteen inches long. Makes light work of the job.
    Use a few sizes to suit square sections and round threaded bits of crooks.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-fla...FRFmGwodvpAEBg
    +1, we use the same
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Several manufacturers of power tools make these 2 stroke drills. You should be able to hire one from one the larger tool hire companies for the {short} times you need for fencing jobs.

We used to have a drill attachment for the chainsaw

Milwaukee 18v cordless. Light and small to carry and sails through a post in seconds.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Milwaukee 18v cordless. Light and small to carry and sails through a post in seconds.
    The above is what Makita owners dream of when their batteries begin to die......just before the hole is finished!

Why drill holes anyway ? Admittedly I always use sleepers for gateposts but even if using a telegraph pole you can flatten one part. I use these fastened with big coach screws. Have been known to drill the holes larger if I thought it needed it. You can pack them to get them true and the adjustment should be on the gate, not on the hinge.
    gate crook.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Why drill holes anyway ? Admittedly I always use sleepers for gateposts but even if using a telegraph pole you can flatten one part. I use these fastened with big coach screws. Have been known to drill the holes larger if I thought it needed it. You can pack them to get them true and the adjustment should be on the gate, not on the hinge.
    gate crook.jpg
    Yes, the hooks need to be upright to start with. I've seen your type of hooks with rounded back plates for pole fixing too.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Yes, the hooks need to be upright to start with. I've seen your type of hooks with rounded back plates for pole fixing too.
    Never seen those but no reason why they wouldn't work I think. It's easy to get them upright with a bubble. That's one of my problems with the long bolt type. They can and do twist.

Never seen those but no reason why they wouldn't work I think. It's easy to get them upright with a bubble. That's one of my problems with the long bolt type. They can and do twist.
    The twisting can be overcome by using a cranked type of hinge, where the bearing face of the pin is lower than the bolt thru the post. Not a problem, obviously, with the plate and coach bolt fixings.

JV

Do you mean when driving the long bolt type in to the post? I use a large spanner or adjustable to hold the square part of the bolt and keep it correctly aligned when hammering / driving it in.
    I have seen some long bolt type with a square plate immediately behind the crook part with a nail hole drilled in them to stop future twisting.
    Always thought the benefit of two driven crooks meant it was easy to overcome any tilt or unevenness of the gate post.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Do you mean when driving the long bolt type in to the post? I use a large spanner or adjustable to hold the square part of the bolt and keep it correctly aligned when hammering / driving it in.
    I have seen some long bolt type with a square plate immediately behind the crook part with a nail hole drilled in them to stop future twisting.
    Always thought the benefit of two driven crooks meant it was easy to overcome any tilt or unevenness of the gate post.
    No, I meant that they can twist when in use, especially when some Neanderthal climbs over the gate at the toe end. And don't even mention those idiots that insist on putting one crook upside down to stop the gate being stolen. That puts all the weight on one hinge. I always drill a hole through the pins on my crooks before fitting and knock a roll pin through when I've hung the gate. Annoying if you want to take the gate off in a hurry but that's the whole idea.