Thread: Ford 8730

Ford 8730

Hello I have a ford 8730 and she could do with a couple more ponys
    could any one tell me how to turn the pump up ???

many thanks Dec

Re: Ford 8730

Quote Originally Posted by Declar666 View Post
    Hello I have a ford 8730 and she could do with a couple more ponys
    could any one tell me how to turn the pump up ???

many thanks Dec

Before you do, run through these items-

Check that there are no leaks from any of the exhaust manifold gaskets or the manifold to turbo gasket, similarly, check there are zero leaks from the turbo compressor pipe to inlet manifold joining hoses .

Check the tappets are set correctly.

If the injectors have done more than 1500-2000hrs since last being serviced, get them checked/serviced.

Replace both inner and outer air filters unless under 1000hrs old

At this point, if all above is ok/done and there is little or no black smoke from the exhaust, there should be a 1/2" locknut with a 5/16"unf threaded stud with a screwdriver slot between the injector pipe connections and the large hex plug usually found on the top of these injection pumps (its usually found under a dome cover and may have a lead security seal) To do it properly you really need a dynometer, but at your own risk you can simply loosen the lock nut and screw out the slotted adjuster a couple of degrees at a time. Check the amount of smoke after each adjustment. They were not the cleanest of motors when running right but they shouldn't pour it out. Too much black smoke will simply be your money going up the pipe and it won't do the engine much good either.

Finally 30 series were notorious for their power sapping funk gearbox. your next step could be to fling the gearbox away and slap a TW crash box in there, more efficient by a long way
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Ford 8730

Hi

Iím looking at buying ford 8730 power shift with around 6500hrs for under 15k very tidy do I stay away or would it be a good investment? Itís the gearboxís the scare me a little .

Thanks