Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Biomass Boiler

New Biomass Boiler

We are undertaking the process off fitting a new biomass boiler I was going to get my son to keep a photo diary of its installation ,if i can figure out how to post photos would anyone be interested in seeing them from start to finish?

Re: New Biomass Boiler

Yes definitely and what are you fitting?

Yes it would be very interesting

What make?

Yes please! Things are moving quickly up at your end of the village then, you'll have the warmest house in the village though!
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

we looked at both Glen Farrow and Dragon,in the end we went with the Farrow because the offer in house plumbing and electrics

Quote Originally Posted by watfordfrosty View Post
    we looked at both Glen Farrow and Dragon,in the end we went with the Farrow because the offer in house plumbing and electrics
    Even more interesting now then as Rogerm already has a Dragon thread. How long between ordering and completion of install do you think?

Chap down here been 4yrs trying to get his dragon system set up.
    We were 18 months, and another chap was about 1yr.
    Its just getting all the stuff, and good person to get their heads around it all, and save up to pay for it all, as Not cheap.
    All the plumbing etc, can cost same and more than the boiler, accumalator costs???

ordered 2 weeks ago arriving monday engineers here today friday plumbing in houses,hope to have it running in two weeks, they have allready started the RHI application,as i said i liked the Dragon and rogerms system but was put off by having to sort out all the sub contactors as we allready have three or four other projects on the go

ordered 2 weeks ago arriving monday engineers here today friday plumbing in houses,hope to have it running in two weeks, they have allready started the RHI application,as i said i liked the Dragon and rogerms system but was put off by having to sort out all the sub contactors as we allready have three or four other projects on the go
    You must have plenty of money to throw at it then?
    Who's doing your IMR then?

We're really pleased with our Dragon, but it did get us scratching our heads "who to get in to do what"
    once we'd worked that out it was straight forward

in the cold we've not had to light the fire & even had to open windows to let heat out of one house !

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    You must have plenty of money to throw at it then?
    Who's doing your IMR then?
    sorry for ignorance whats IMR
    as for money very little in price between the two whether dragons have got more expensive or Farrow more competitive i dont know chatting to rogerm the install costs for the dragon were not out off line with the Farrow i could probably saved by lining up seperate sub-contractors but in the long run i am not sure if the hassle is worth it wanted it up and running and claiming the RHI as soon as possible before someone in government changes the rules

as for money very little in price between the two whether dragons have got more expensive or Farrow more competitive i dont know chatting to rogerm the install costs for the dragon were not out off line with the Farrow i could probably saved by lining up seperate sub-contractors but in the long run i am not sure if the hassle is worth it wanted it up and running and claiming the RHI as soon as possible before someone in government changes the rules
    Sorry IMR- inderpendant meter report, I guess the firm you have will do the lot?
    Yes get in fast as all change in summer with the rhi apparantly?

I can't remember what figure I told you now
    sent you a pm

Im after roughly a 160kw boiler and its a very tough choice between the DNRG from eco green energy centre and dragon heat. Heard good things about the DNRG including installation but mainly bad things when it comes to installing the dragon
    Can anyone else out there shed some light on the 2 of them?

If you go for a Dragon b20 that is a single pass burn 150kw round bale or what ever you can get in /burn biomass boiler,Accumalator tank, and flues, flexenergy insulated external pipe sections required ,35 idmm copper,28idmm copper, heat meter,heat exchangers, associated works/commission/certified plumbers(not mcs as over 45kw) labour to heat 4 cottages,and house , do lot of diging, installation concrete base, tidy up/make good after as I have and did ,I got away with around 25-28k Total , But was over 2 yrs?
    Thing is everyone likes to double/treble up on you.
    The materials are dearer enough even if you get/deal direct yourselves.
    So why give it to others?
    Because of the posibilities that money can be re-couped from the rhi, this blinkers people into the frame of mind'' all ok as we will get it all back'' with is not the point?

Rhi done myself, and IMR extra.

I didnt think the dragon b range were eligible for rhi due to emmisions and only the d range were.

Quote Originally Posted by super4 View Post
    I didnt think the dragon b range were eligible for rhi due to emmisions and only the d range were.
    New emmissions, rhi alterations have not come in yet.
    Whats accredited is accredited.

Quote Originally Posted by super4 View Post
    get a D20 we have one, although its rated at 185 kW, the relevant thing is the fuel & frequency of loading
    our requirements could have been satisfied by a smaller boiler, but we went large so that we could load the boiler with pallet tines
    a D20 burning dry wood is 85-90% efficient

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Im after roughly a 160kw boiler and its a very tough choice between the DNRG from eco green energy centre and dragon heat. Heard good things about the DNRG including installation but mainly bad things when it comes to installing the dragon
    Can anyone else out there shed some light on the 2 of them?
    Dragons are simple to install, you need a good plumber who can handle big pipes (2") and also won't rip you off
    We used our milking machine engineer to do the big pipe plumbing & he made a smashing job
    An open vented system is very simple

B20 here, same efficency as above, 150kw rated, but that variable to how much you put in, and how often.
    Can get mega watt in a day if you want?
    Lot less cost, and easier to clean than a D20?

Just had a quote back from glenfarrow which for the 125 boiler, 6000 litre tank and flue etc at 18k is on par with everything else but the installation which doesnt include any exterior insulated pipes or digging is 27k They seem a good bunch though and the salesman used to be a plumber and is always on other end of the phone which is useful. Going to get a full quote from eco green energy centre and see how they compare. Been waiting 2 weeks for dragon heat to send someone to do a full quote....... no surprise there!

does anyone know if the boiler can be put against tax?

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    does anyone know if the boiler can be put against tax?
    Yes it can, if you are claiming RHI, it is a non-domestic scheme which can be as simple as a farmhouse and a small farm building that needs heating or hot water, or it could be 2 houses, making it multi domestic
    RHI payments will be business income so taxable

About time for an update and some pictures of frosty's set up perhaps? Slightly concerned that he's dropped it on his foot unloading it or something as he's not been on this thread for a while

sorry fox finding it very difficult to upload pics off phone through host not computer savvy enough,things are progressing well,the boiler was comissioned today and is up and running son collected a artic load of 5 foot hestons off miscanthus bales today to use as a buffer till harvest we will bale rape straw to feed along with any pallets we can aquire locally,looked like we were appointing a new pope lots of black smoke running ok now just need to see how often the beast needs feeding turn up the radiators and get the RHI application approved

Spotted a HUGE dark billowing fog from your direction earlier!! Turned out to be a cloud though . Glad you are up and running, sounds like it has gone in very quickly which has to be a good thing.

you must come and have a look and show me how to upload pics

if anyone locally wants to see it running send me a PM

There is a sticky under computers and IT for uploading from a PC, not sure how to do it from a phone though. I'd certainly like to pop up in a while and have a look, it's a project on the cards here for next year if we get the current one completed.

Never be tempted to chuck an empty Nitram bag on