Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Biomass Boiler

Re: New Biomass Boiler

What happened Rog,

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    What happened Rog,
    nothing but if there was a few prills left in the bag you could have a problem

what temperature do you run your dragon at roger ours was set at 65 not sure if this is high enough ,only problem we have got at the moment is quite a lot of smoke for about 2 mins after loading once everything is up to temp very little smoke worried NIMBY neighbour will complain out taking photos already.

Watford frosty what model have you?
    Our B20 goes out and back at 70 oc through accumalator tank and big circuit.
    Will get smoke- what you burning?
    All smoke on start up, hot it gets x
    Clearer it goes.
    How far away is neighbour, and did you get planning or retto fit?

Quote Originally Posted by watfordfrosty View Post
    what temperature do you run your dragon at roger ours was set at 65 not sure if this is high enough ,only problem we have got at the moment is quite a lot of smoke for about 2 mins after loading once everything is up to temp very little smoke worried NIMBY neighbour will complain out taking photos already.
    It all depends on the wood you are burning, how often you load, the heat you are taking off the system and maybe the size of your accumulator tank. The fan on our Dragon cuts out at 80 so I would say go higher ? Yours may be different ?
    ours varies, we run anywhere between 60 & 80, the meters show highs in the 90s
    sometimes a property will only take 2 or 3 deg from the main, sometimes it can be coming in at 70 then going back at 50, no real logic to it
    if your neighbour is a problem, load it before he gets up, or after he's gone to bed
    When we first started the smoke went straight towards our neighbours, so I called them & apologised & explained we were having teething troubles, don't worry we will get it right, let me know if its a problem etc. They haven't complained. I did get PP for the flue & boiler shed, so it wasn't unexpected
    Also fortunately the wind turned, smoked us out instead, but if the east wind is blowing its usually v cold so you don't mind & the windows are closed. We had a lot of damp/wet /condensation coming out in the first week

burning clean pallets at the moment I can get as many as I need for free, I have baled 10 tonne of miscanthus in 6 foot hestons to try they weigh about 400kg each,it will be interesting to see how they burn and for how long I will also be baling some rape straw to try,but while pallets are free they have got to be the best option ,I expect we will get a call from the environmental health soon the neighbour will love to complain,might pre-emp with a call to council

just been out and filled it up turned water up to 80 and flue fan down to 5 keep tinkering till we get it right

Some fit better fans, but all depends on location, and site.
    You must mean you cut fan stat. Back by 5 oc is it?
    Pallets burn clean, also rape straw when hot.
    But when start up billows out for a while?

ours has got two,, fans one on the burner, and one on the flue, the flue fan controls the smoke coming out the chimney, forces it up into the air, it seems the higher the setting the more smoke ,but for a shorter length of time, if that makes sense

Never heard of a fan on the flue?
    Is that on back bottom flue part?
    Who, what, why, did ,recommend that???

Quote Originally Posted by watfordfrosty View Post
    ours has got two,, fans one on the burner, and one on the flue, the flue fan controls the smoke coming out the chimney, forces it up into the air, it seems the higher the setting the more smoke ,but for a shorter length of time, if that makes sense
    sounds like you need to talk to Glen Farrow, we could be steering you in the wrong direction.
    the wind has a big effect on the draw, it makes the smoke chuff & snort sometimes

We are inprocess (at long last after burner sittin in yard over a yr) of havin a central boiler fitted to heat 4 houses.. Runs on solid wood though not chip... Should be up and running this coming week.. Lot digging of gardens up etc to put pipe work in ground. Will up load photos also when its done..
    This boiler has its own built in tank with no buffer tank.. Have a big shed full bone dry softwood split and ready to throw in..

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    We are inprocess (at long last after burner sittin in yard over a yr) of havin a central boiler fitted to heat 4 houses.. Runs on solid wood though not chip... Should be up and running this coming week.. Lot digging of gardens up etc to put pipe work in ground. Will up load photos also when its done..
    This boiler has its own built in tank with no buffer tank.. Have a big shed full bone dry softwood split and ready to throw in..
    What make is that one???

well ive finally got all my quotes and theres a big difference between them. ive got eco green selling the pat lee boiler wanting 31k inc installation, dragon heat with liam hyslop from renewable heat installers installing it wanting 66k and glen farrow wanting 45k inc installation. really dissapointed that the dragon is the dearest because i felt it was the better machine but i dont think its 35k better then the pat lee. only big difference in the 2 is pat lee is 6mm steel and dragon 10mm. All installation quotes inc us doing the trench work and them doing everything else. what should i go for?

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    What make is that one???
    Central boiler... From AmericaAmerica

Central boiler... From AmericaAmerica
    How often are you expecting to need to fuel it Nick? It looks an interesting alternative to the Dragon etc but I guess the wood used will need a bit more processing than those designed for bales etc.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    How often are you expecting to need to fuel it Nick? It looks an interesting alternative to the Dragon etc but I guess the wood used will need a bit more processing than those designed for bales etc.
    Once day in summer. Prob twice in winter.. Also not sure how the soft wood is gonna work out yet.. We do around a 1000 load firewood in a season so we have all the gear.. Splitters, log processors etc... Although all the wood we have split is softwood destined for the big fire in the yard..(only sell hardwood logs) so it's cost us nothing only labour.. And roughly I reckon its cost 1000 ish to split enough for a yr.. They only split it when they have nothing to do... Odd hour here and there.. Odd day etc..
    if softwood burns out to quick, which we are told it shouldn't do we will buy in artic loads hardwood.. Collected with our own lorry so cost to a min..or may be mix of both.. Prob need some hardwood in winter when temps in minus figs to keep temp up to 70-80 degrees..
    eithervway its not gonna cost a 3rd of heating oil then there the rhi on top... Gonna cost around 40k supplied and installed..installation etc is far greater than cost boiler at 15000..
    Some bigger country houses are running 2 boilers together to get up to temp..
    Ours is a 90 kw boiler..

Once day in summer. Prob twice in winter.. Also not sure how the soft wood is gonna work out yet.. We do around a 1000 load firewood in a season so we have all the gear.. Splitters, log processors etc... Although all the wood we have split is softwood destined for the big fire in the yard..(only sell hardwood logs) so it's cost us nothing only labour.. And roughly I reckon its cost 1000 ish to split enough for a yr.. They only split it when they have nothing to do... Odd hour here and there.. Odd day etc..
    if softwood burns out to quick, which we are told it shouldn't do we will buy in artic loads hardwood.. Collected with our own lorry so cost to a min..or may be mix of both.. Prob need some hardwood in winter when temps in minus figs to keep temp up to 70-80 degrees..
    eithervway its not gonna cost a 3rd of heating oil then there the rhi on top... Gonna cost around 40k supplied and installed..installation etc is far greater than cost boiler at 15000..
    Some bigger country houses are running 2 boilers together to get up to temp..
    Ours is a 90 kw boiler..
    Thanks Nick, it sounds very interesting and you certainly have an advantage having all of the gear on site for processing already. Out of interest how much is an artic load of hardwood, how many tonnes would be on it and is that processed in any way when it arrives?

Thanks Nick, it sounds very interesting and you certainly have an advantage having all of the gear on site for processing already. Out of interest how much is an artic load of hardwood, how many tonnes would be on it and is that processed in any way when it arrives?
    Take loads to daventry quite regularly at 1350 load... Around 25-26 ton..
    thats in cordwood form.. Usually 3 bays 3m.. Can process it either into standard logs or 650 mm billets..

Take loads to daventry quite regularly at 1350 load... Around 25-26 ton..
    thats in cordwood form.. Usually 3 bays 3m.. Can process it either into standard logs or 650 mm billets..
    We haven't got the boiler power to burn it yet but I will bookmark the thread, it may be of interest in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    well ive finall got all my quotes and theres a big difference between them. ive got eco green selling the pat lee boiler wanting 31k inc installation, dragon heat with liam hyslop from renewable heat installers installing it wanting 66k and glen farrow wanting 45k inc installation. really dissapointed that the dragon is the dearest because i felt it was the better machine but i dont think its 35k better then the pat lee. only big difference in the 2 is pat lee is 6mm steel and dragon 10mm. All installation quotes inc us doing the trench work and them doing everything else. what should i go for?
    Thats not the expensive dragon, but the expensive dragon installer, maybe?
    Plenty about to fit them, get other quotes off plumbers?

We haven't got the boiler power to burn it yet but I will bookmark the thread, it may be of interest in the future
    How long would that last in a dragon I wonder???

We thought about some sort straw burner but why put good straw in burner at anything from 40-70 ton when our wood is for free...
    It just gets burnt in yard and creates lot ash that we have to pay to get rid of...
    the plumber is charging 12000 to install.. All pipe work, heat exchangers, metres pump fittings etc are another 13500..
    The burner at 15000 was the easy bit..
    mate I bought it from has 2 installed.
    one at his house, and one at his brick yard that heats his offices and blows warm air into a shed for drying bricks...
    works well for him and he buys all his wood off me then pays someone top money to process into 900 mm billets.

900mm?

Quote Originally Posted by treblesykes View Post
    900mm?
    Just under a metre yeah.. Burner takes them that length.. If we are splitting with chain saws and log splitter do them 900, if going through processor have to be 650 mm as that's as long as it'll cut...

You or anyone else is more than welcome to come have look once its up and running...

Quote Originally Posted by rogerm View Post
    We're really pleased with our Dragon, but it did get us scratching our heads "who to get in to do what"
    once we'd worked that out it was straight forward

in the cold we've not had to light the fire & even had to open windows to let heat out of one house !
    I am looking to install a heating system, I wouldn't be too far away(near Banbury) could I come and see yours when the autumn planting is done & we're less busy ?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by farmerA View Post
    I am looking to install a heating system, I wouldn't be too far away(near Banbury) could I come and see yours when the autumn planting is done & we're less busy ?
    Thanks in advance
    Sure, no problem. Quite a few folk have been for a look.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerA View Post
    Thanks in advance
    as you can't receive PMs, ring Dragon Heat, they will call me or give you my no