Thread: Help with JD 2040s please

Help with JD 2040s please

Hi guys.

Need a little help with my tractor, as you will probably tell i know nothing about it i just use her around my small holding using it to top, spray etc. I have just fitted an alternator, fuel lift pump and found a short on a battery lead so she is now working as she should but when i removed the hood for cleaning i found the black pipe you can see in the pictures just sitting there not attached to anything so i pushed it onto where you see it now but i don't see any where the other end goes or infact if it should be where i have put it. I hope the pictures show as i am not sure how to do it.

Thank you.
    Julie.

https://s32.postimg.org/agkmc31r9/tractor_001.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/4q55geqjf/tractor_003.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/5uzktorzp/tractor_005.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/od73c2qnp/tractor_006.jpg

Re: Help with JD 2040s please

Hard plastic pipe which gets brittle and breaks Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    If I remember correctly. The pipe goes down under the cab and on to a small steel pipe on top of the gearbox. Access through a panel in the floor of the cab.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

I'll have a look on my old 3040 later.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Hard plastic pipe which gets brittle and breaks Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    If I remember correctly. The pipe goes down under the cab and on to a small steel pipe on top of the gearbox. Access through a panel in the floor of the cab.

That's the one lol it has broken in half very brittle as you say.
    Thank you so much.

Sorry, I got distracted yesterday and didn't get back to you. Yes, it's the one I thought it was. Runs across the air intake manifold and under the right hand side of the cab (as you sit in it). It goes on to a small metal pipe on top of the gearbox. Lift the rubber mat in the cab and remove the floor plate (2 small bolts I think) to access the pipe. The remains of the hard plastic one may still be attached. I replaced with a rubber hose years ago but your JD dealer would have the correct stuff. Important that the hose is oil resistant if using rubber.

Red face Re: Help with JD 2040s please

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Sorry, I got distracted yesterday and didn't get back to you. Yes, it's the one I thought it was. Runs across the air intake manifold and under the right hand side of the cab (as you sit in it). It goes on to a small metal pipe on top of the gearbox. Lift the rubber mat in the cab and remove the floor plate (2 small bolts I think) to access the pipe. The remains of the hard plastic one may still be attached. I replaced with a rubber hose years ago but your JD dealer would have the correct stuff. Important that the hose is oil resistant if using rubber.

That's ok I'm just glad i now know where it goes. Do you think a rubber pipe would do a better job as it won't tend to go brittle and break so easily. I can see the specs on the picture of you pipe so i know what to order. Thank you again, i will probably mither the life out of you guys from now on.

Julie.

The pipe you see has been on the tractor for about 8 years now and shows no sign of breaking down.

You're welcome.

Hi WR, sorry i have only just got the time to do the job can you tell me where exactly is the floor plate please so i don't have to rip all the rubber matting up.

Julie.

Do you have the SG2 cab? (round front) If so, you'll need to remove the rubber mat to reveal the removable plate in the floor. Easiest way to move the mat is to lift from the rear and pull it back bit by bit having loosened the front bits and under the foot throttle etc.

No it's the square cab 1986. It's not a full mat if you know what i mean it's done in bits. I will look where you have indicated. Thank you.

These are the only plates i can see, left hand side of the seat and one under the right hand panel for electrics etc. It looks like the floor need sorting too it's full of rust and very thin in places.

https://s32.postimg.org/qt7s2975h/tractor_floor_001.jpg
    https://s32.postimg.org/72wo94an9/tractor_floor_002.jpg
    https://s31.postimg.org/hhh97ognf/tractor_floor_003.jpg

Different layout to the flat floored SG2 cabbed tractors, but the pipe on mine is between the steering wheel base and seat, directly on top of the gearbox.
    Have you found the other piece of the plastic pipe at all which leads in and under the cab?

Well after angle grinding rusty bolts off and lots of swearing i finally managed the job
    I found where the pipe went, it's in the bottom of the large right hand dash board panel i also removed the small plate as in one of the pictures just to give me more light. The job was a sod to do and if i wasn't a small women with tiny hands it would have been impossible to get to it.
    Just thought i would let you know and thank you for all your help. It may also help some one in the future
    Wait for the next instalment

Julie.

Glad you found it. Knew it was in there somewhere