Thread: Do I need planning to build a wall on existing building?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do I need planning to build a wall on existing building?

Hi, I have recently purchased an agricultural storage barn , it's a steel framed building with breeze block walls on 3 sides. I want build a wall at the front and hang doors so that building is secure to keep my tractor etc in as land out in the sticks!! Do I need permission? Barn was built under official planning in the 70's

Re: Do I need planning to build a wall on existing building?

If you asked planning they would probably say apply anyway to be safe, and the fee is ...
    Provided no change of use from Agricultural storage you should be OK especially if the building is not going to become more intrusive in someone's view.

I don't see any issue if it's already closed in on three sides

Personally, I'd just go ahead and do it but that's not telling you what to do.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

It largely depends on two things but other things come into play.

1. Do you have PDR (Permitted Development Rights) That is achieved by having more than 5 hectares of land at your disposal.

If you have this then you can just just go ahead and do it anyway.

2. Do you have any neighbours who have nothing better to do than try to make trouble ? If so I would go to them and explain the situation. That you want to protect your assets, draw them a pretty drawing of what the doors will look like, blah di blah. I'm sure that you have had a visit from our "travelling friends" haven' t you ? And that you want to make sure that they are not enticed into the area, blah di blah. Remember, some of these old biddies have been set up with a pc by Grandsons and they like nothing better than to find the local council planning web site and fire objections off left right and centre. Invariably the spouse has died and they are lacking something in their lives.

The above is not the way I was brought up but Internet Forums and planning bring out the worst in people.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    It largely depends on two things but other things come into play.

1. Do you have PDR (Permitted Development Rights) That is achieved by having more than 5 hectares of land at your disposal.

If you have this then you can just just go ahead and do it anyway.

2. Do you have any neighbours who have nothing better to do than try to make trouble ? If so I would go to them and explain the situation. That you want to protect your assets, draw them a pretty drawing of what the doors will look like, blah di blah. I'm sure that you have had a visit from our "travelling friends" haven' t you ? And that you want to make sure that they are not enticed into the area, blah di blah. Remember, some of these old biddies have been set up with a pc by Grandsons and they like nothing better than to find the local council planning web site and fire objections off left right and centre. Invariably the spouse has died and they are lacking something in their lives.

The above is not the way I was brought up but Internet Forums and planning bring out the worst in people.

thanks guys, I looked into it with council. as I've only got 2.5 acres I would need planning although they said it wouldn't be a problem. didn't really want to do this but have just met the neighbour and he seems (although friendly enough) a bit like trouble if you know what I mean 🙄

Now you have told us how much land it sits on it would be useful to know how big the shed is before giving any more advice. The problem might arise if it's a big shed and you are going to put a huge wall and nice shiny new doors up. Just because the planners say that there shouldn't be a problem doesn't mean that there won't be.

Your parish council or any councillor (district or county) can send it to the local Planning Committee for a decision and they can refuse it if they have been "got at" by a councillor. The planning committee is made up of councillors so it's not necessarily an un-biased decision. It will also be sent to committee if there are 5 or more objections from members of the public. I know I am painting the worst case scenario here but if the committee refuse it then the next step is an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. That doesn't cost you anything unless you employ someone to do it for you and it is very gratifying to rub any objectors's nose in it.

On balance I would be extremely surprised if you had a problem with all of this, I am only telling you what could happen. The fact that you have approached the planners means that you are now obliged to seek planning permission. If you just went ahead and did it and someone got silly about it they would probably make you apply anyway and if you didn't then it's an enforcement notice. You can still appeal that but it gets messy.