Thread: JD Gator Transmission

JD Gator Transmission

I am probably the only person not to have known this tip......
    Gator gear selector was getting more and more difficult to get in and out of gear....belt not disengaging.
    To the point of switching engine off to get it to stop.
    Beginning to think new primary clutch.....dealer prices etc.
    Bit of internetting turned up the solution.
    Age and friction was preventing the clutch from returning fully as speed was reduced.
    Get the plastic cover off the belt transmission bits......turn clutch until one of the levers that moves when revs increase. Then apply some penetrating oil / lube around the pivot points (two on each) Turn clutch until next one ...repeat until all done. Run it up to full speed a few times. Then apply some ordinary oil to same area and on the faces adjacent, again run it up to full speed a few times. Put the cover back on.......and away you go.
    Only did it yesterday ....so time for it to go wrong again...but working perfectly.
    Should work for all the centifrugal clutch systems.....Quads etc.
    Worth a try before getting into the greedy hands of your local "Squeeler"!
    As I said I am probably the last one in the world to find out ......

Re: JD Gator Transmission

Works for a week!

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: JD Gator Transmission

Thirty years in repairs has taught me that ___"When it's broke it's broke" Blue tack duck tape and prayers are attractive but seldom successful. Been there got that t shirt, if it's any consolation I spent all day yesterday tracing why a side brake wouldn't work on one side. Dismantled and rebuilt master cylinders dismantled and rebuilt balance valve, dismantled and rebuilt slave cylinder. Removed and blew through all pipes before eventually discovering one flexible hose before the master cylinder closed up internally when pressure was applied! Not as much as a crack in the rubber externally. At least I do know why the brake was bleeding up nice and solid but wouldn't stop anything