Thread: Kawasaki 4 x 4 quad

Kawasaki 4 x 4 quad

hello ,
    i have a kawasaki 4 x 4 quad and it is not starting very well and when it does start it will not keep running unless the choke is on a little , not all the way on but a bit to keep the engine racing so then when i put it into gear it lurches forward , how can i fix this please

kind regards
    paul

Re: Kawasaki 4 x 4 quad

Not a 360 by any chance?
    Had a couple.....persuaded that a new one would cure the problems of the old.
    One of the probs was poor tick over and cutting out. Not that I am really up on it.....but something comes to mind about oil level in carburettor, I may off track here but it sticks in my mind.
    Is it CVT belt drive?

If it needs some choke to keep running, it'suffering from a weak mixture.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    If it needs some choke to keep running, it'suffering from a weak mixture.
    Yep,
    But,
    After it is warmed up , say when you get off to open a gate does it putter away getting gradually slower until it eventually stops, usually just before you climb back on to give it some throttle to keep it going?
    but other than that goes fine?
    That was the one we had....dealer spent hours trying to cure it.
    one of the reasons our next Kawa was a Honda!

Quote Originally Posted by paul wrighton View Post
    hello ,
    i have a kawasaki 4 x 4 quad and it is not starting very well and when it does start it will not keep running unless the choke is on a little , not all the way on but a bit to keep the engine racing so then when i put it into gear it lurches forward , how can i fix this please

kind regards
    paul

Before starting from cold, try taking the spark plug out and squirt approx one teaspoon of fuel in, replace the plug and see if it fires up any better?
    If its no better- then you could have an ignition problem.
    If it does run briefly and then reverts to not wanting to run/idle properly you need to look at the fuel side.
    Is it gravity fed or an electric pump? if the latter is the pump running/pumping?
    Do you have a good flow of fuel into the carb??
    Can you remove the carb? could be worth getting it off and then using a carb cleaner aerosol to spray clean the whole thing- stick the extension tube in all the holes/jets etc and use an airline to blow it clean.
    Go through the carb settings- there should be an idle/tickover screw to set the idle revs. There may be a mixture adjustment but often there isn't- its more common to just find an air bleed screw to alter the mixture on some.
    Look for any air leaks- split/broken or damaged gaskets, has it an flexible connection between the carb and the engine inlet?- ie a rubber bellows type joint-any pin-prick holes?
    What sort of air cleaner is it- seen foam types that the oil has dried out- re-oiling them can seem to help with weak mixtures
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by paul wrighton View Post
    hello ,

kind regards
    paul
    i have one theres a small knob underneath the carb you can adjust the idle by turning it slightly.

As mentioned above.

My 650 is doing the same. The engine Rev is so low it cuts out a few seconds after you release the throttle. I normally put the bike in gear, pull the brake and then start, release the brake and away I go.

Just need the time to make the adjustment.

On our Yamaha we had trouble getting it to run, it turned out to be a petrol delivery valve in the carb itself that had worn. Put a new 1 in and it runs like a dream.