Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Claydon hybrids drilling spring wheat

  1. #1
    Senior Member Badshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    441

    Claydon hybrids drilling spring wheat



    Wet weather kit


    Wet


    A share
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    223

    Re: Claydon hybrids drilling spring wheat

    Are you happy with that? It looks like the same cold wet soil that didn't give the seeds a chance last Autumn....I've put mine into light land this week with my Rapid hoping the seed will get going quickly but still wondering if it will be an October harvest. I reckon yours will be even later?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Badshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    441

    Re: Claydon hybrids drilling spring wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    Are you happy with that? It looks like the same cold wet soil that didn't give the seeds a chance last Autumn....I've put mine into light land this week with my Rapid hoping the seed will get going quickly but still wondering if it will be an October harvest. I reckon yours will be even later?

    It's not mine, but with some drying a pass with rake/rolls will see it finished off nicely enough and the seed will have been in the moisture for a week instead of the bag. Yes it is cold wet soil but it is the sort which will dry out too much and then have no germination if ripped up to dry before drilling.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    223

    Re: Claydon hybrids drilling spring wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    . Yes it is cold wet soil but it is the sort which will dry out too much and then have no germination if ripped up to dry before drilling.
    Think in this area folk realised a fair acreage would end up Spring cropped and gave up the idea of leaving stubbles.....lots of medium and longish term min till ground was ploughed and has now drilled in perfect order (although a bit late) into drying frost mould.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Badshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    441

    Re: Claydon hybrids drilling spring wheat

    Quote Originally Posted by pig fighter View Post
    Think in this area folk realised a fair acreage would end up Spring cropped and gave up the idea of leaving stubbles.....lots of medium and longish term min till ground was ploughed and has now drilled in perfect order (although a bit late) into drying frost mould.

    It is still too wet to plough, the 300+hp tractors on those drills would struggle with a 4 furrow plough and leave a mess behind them. I looked at this same ground autumn before last and it was in fantastic condition and full of worms, which it still is to be honest, it's just not the sort of ground that dries quickly when it's been as wet as it has.

    On my own farm the field that was driest when it came to drilling this spring was the only field left as stubble, and that would normally be the wettest field I have.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

  6. #6
    Senior Member Badshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    441

    Re: Claydon hybrids drilling spring wheat






    These are pics of my own heavy land, it was as wet as the other pics when I drilled it, 3-4 days drying wind and a pass with my rolls with the paddles down gently saw it finished off very nicely, mine was KV tineseeder so more disturbance than the claydons and after rolling a more conventional looking seedbed. The stuff planted a month ago is just coming up, last weeks planting is just germinating.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •