Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 414

Thread: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

  1. #1
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    I always had respect for her.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    219

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    my politics has moved to the centre and back again since the 80s but i admired her greatly free enterprise selling off the nationalised industries the right to buy all empowered much of a generation. she made todays politicians look like pigmyes. in the same way as clinton still does in america.


    respect is due


    lazy

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    157

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazy farmer View Post
    my politics has moved to the centre and back again since the 80s but i admired her greatly free enterprise selling off the nationalised industries the right to buy all empowered much of a generation. she made todays politicians look like pigmyes. in the same way as clinton still does in america.


    respect is due


    lazy
    +1 She had backbone and worked very hard for this Country and not herself. Others would be wise to acknowledge that

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    South Lincs
    Posts
    45

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    She was a dogmatic woman who gained my respect for not allowing anyone to interfere with her policies.

    A bit like Churchill, cometh the moment, cometh the man or woman in this case!

    RIP Magggie

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    46

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    I wish more people cared for this country like she did. Big Loss.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Clive Tee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    435

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Got more respect for Mrs Thatcher than every other politician added together. Like many, I didn't always agree with her, but trusted her to the hilt.

    RIP Maggie.
    Clive Tee

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    104

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    The last Prime Minister to operate for the good of the country rather than just to attract votes

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    157

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by NIAB TAG View Post
    The last Prime Minister to operate for the good of the country rather than just to attract votes
    +1

  9. #9
    Member VSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Llyn Peninsula
    Posts
    46

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Whatever you think of her politics, it i hard to deny that she was an extraordinary woman.
    Sheep Book for Smallholders

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    157

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPnew View Post
    +1
    +2

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    157

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    Whatever you think of her politics, it i hard to deny that she was an extraordinary woman.
    +1

  12. #12
    Senior Member Raggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    M1 / M6 Junction
    Posts
    219

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    There's only ever been one other person ever to enter parliament with intetions truly as honest as hers. He was called Guy Fawkes.
    Rest In Peace Mrs T. You served your country proudly.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Bald Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Anglesey
    Posts
    1,010

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Made one proud to be British.

    Wonder when we'll see a LEADER like Mrs T again?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    127

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There's only ever been one other person ever to enter parliament with intetions truly as honest as hers. He was called Guy Fawkes.
    Rest In Peace Mrs T. You served your country proudly.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazy farmer View Post
    my politics has moved to the centre and back again since the 80s but i admired her greatly free enterprise selling off the nationalised industries the right to buy all empowered much of a generation. she made todays politicians look like pigmyes. in the same way as clinton still does in america.


    respect is due


    lazy
    Good to see you have made a return!

    The thing about Thatcher is of course that she merely brought forward what would have happened anyway. Of course she has many critics, but the fact remains that any government of any colour would have done exactly the same things at some point or another.

    I do think there are a lot more good eggs in Parliament than some would make out, however.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    161

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    She saved this country from socialism thank goodness. Things were very bad in 1979 when she took over and she sorted things out. People blame her for the miners downfall, but that was Scargill's fault he wouldn't let the miners have a vote.

    RIP Maggie.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    The very west of West Wales
    Posts
    84

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Have to disagree. She did some good things- allowing people to buy their council houses, and some bad things - not allowing councils to use the money to build more houses. She shut the coal mines, and now we are running out of power, with oodles of coal still there. She privatised the utilities, who then went on to make huge profits, at our expense. She ended a lot of manufacturing, and now we have nothing to sell to help the balance of debt.
    So saying, she had more balls than the whole of todays parliament.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    128

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boar View Post
    Have to disagree. She did some good things- allowing people to buy their council houses, and some bad things - not allowing councils to use the money to build more houses. She shut the coal mines, and now we are running out of power, with oodles of coal still there. She privatised the utilities, who then went on to make huge profits, at our expense. She ended a lot of manufacturing, and now we have nothing to sell to help the balance of debt.
    So saying, she had more balls than the whole of todays parliament.

    RIP Maggie
    the mines always turn up with her name ,this is an interesting read

    http://www.thecommentator.com/articl..._and_daughters

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Fordingbridge
    Posts
    122

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boar View Post
    ...She shut the coal mines, and now we are running out of power, with oodles of coal still there......
    For me; the way she did that remains pretty bizarre. The mines weren't mothballed like they were in other countries, they were fenced in and left to rot - as a result it would be massively expensive to reopen them if we did need to once again exploit the mineral wealth which lies beneath the ground. Its almost like she never wanted to see a return of the miner.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Glamorgan
    Posts
    1,914

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Nobody messed with Maggie.
    Cameron wants to take a few more leaves out of her book.

  21. #21
    Senior Member raiderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    County Durham
    Posts
    276

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Boar View Post
    Have to disagree. She did some good things- allowing people to buy their council houses, and some bad things - not allowing councils to use the money to build more houses. She shut the coal mines, and now we are running out of power, with oodles of coal still there. She privatised the utilities, who then went on to make huge profits, at our expense. She ended a lot of manufacturing, and now we have nothing to sell to help the balance of debt.
    So saying, she had more balls than the whole of todays parliament.
    Saved from Socialism? Maybe, but introduced so much greed to society. What we need is some kind of balance. I agree Old Boar totally with your comments tho, the service industry we have currently won't get us out of the mess were in now.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    7

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by NIAB TAG View Post
    The last Prime Minister to operate for the good of the country rather than just to attract votes
    very true

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    78

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Did more harm than good imo. Primarily "I'm alright Jack, pull the ladder up." Defective morale compass. Falklands War, demise of council housing, loss of industrial production.

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    296

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by properjob View Post
    Did more harm than good imo. Primarily "I'm alright Jack, pull the ladder up." Defective morale compass. Falklands War, demise of council housing, loss of industrial production.
    +1 'the witch is dead!'

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    How did she destroy our manufacturing industry? It was doing plenty of that itself- scuppered by ineffective management or paralyzed by unions, just as the American industries went.

    Fact is the only reason our ship and aerospace industries only got the size they did is because of the WW1/2 and the cold war. We wasted billions of tax payers money on defence for decades, never got any of it back. And as for steel etc, it was all going to move to the Far East on day anyway.

    The only reason the Germans still have a coal industry was because their government subsidised it for decades at their own expense.

  26. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    10

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    +1 'the witch is dead!'
    Well Done Tim,

    Whatever your view, great insight on the day of someone's death, tells us a bit more about you.

    Nice touch!

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    160

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    +1 'the witch is dead!'
    given the polarisation of opinion at the time I don't think she had much choice it was one way or the other at the time with very little appetite for compromise. Also Scargill did the miners no favours at all from what I read.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    south east Cambs
    Posts
    352

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Obviously the odd one or two on here who probably wern't even around in the 1960's and '70's. Well, as someone who was, this country needed Margaret Thatcher to sort it out - and sort it out she did. Scargill made it plain the 'No mine should close - even if they are mining mud'. He got his commupance, and a good thing too. Margaret Thatcher finished him! As for council houses, many tens of thousands of former tenants owe the fact that they are now homeowners to Mrs Thatcher. Too many ill-informed people making stupid statements who know nothing about what it was really like before she became Prime Minister. That t**t Morrisey, for example. I hope a thousand sewer rats claw their way up his vegetarian arse and eat him slowly and painfully from the inside out. He is a total and utter shit,and i hope something really nasty happens to him - preferably next week. This country needs a leader like Margaret Thatcher now - not the wet behind the ears, limp wrists we have in all party's today. RIP, Margaret Thatcher. You will be remembered long after the political minnows are turned to dust.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    I think the country will remember her much more fondly than that Blair bloke! I'll say that. if this were the middle ages him and his wife would have been burned at the stake.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    125

    Re: R.I.P. Margeret Thatcher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    How did she destroy our manufacturing industry? It was doing plenty of that itself- scuppered by ineffective management or paralyzed by unions, just as the American industries went.

    Fact is the only reason our ship and aerospace industries only got the size they did is because of the WW1/2 and the cold war. We wasted billions of tax payers money on defence for decades, never got any of it back. And as for steel etc, it was all going to move to the Far East on day anyway.
    The only reason the Germans still have a coal industry was because their government subsidised it for decades at their own expense.
    Absolutely right.

    A friend of mine was running bulk tippers at the time and he reckoned Chinese coal was coming into Avonmouth, trucked over the Severn Bridge to Newport and Swansea for less than it could come down from the nearby mines. Scargill and the Unions scuppered the mines. Easy to blame Maggie - but I don't recall Labour doing much for industry other than making it harder to operate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •