Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MASSEY FERGUSON 135 ( MF 20 INDUSTRIAL ) FULL RESTO .

Re: MASSEY FERGUSON 135 ( MF 20 INDUSTRIAL ) FULL RESTO .

Quote Originally Posted by robbie956xl View Post
    Welcome back with your latest resto project. Hope your brother recovers well. It has been a pleasure to keep up with the various projects that you have shared on this forum. Must say, you have a wonderful landscape view from your workshop door. A lovely place to live and work I imagine.
    thanks Robbie , yeah he is doing ok now , cant horse himself for a while but he ok for all the light stuff , its a nice part of the world alright but there comes a fair draft up that valley and straight in the door of the shed that would perish you some days lol .

the owner called today to see the progress first hand and he is delighted so far , he dropped off a load more useful bits and he also dropped the rubber dust boots that seal the handbrake cables to the backing plates , very hard to source these little blighter but a nice addition to the restoration .

hi again , today we were tightening up the pick up hitch and i started to clean the back end and gearbox , few pics .

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon3 View Post
    the owner called today to see the progress first hand and he is delighted so far , he dropped off a load more useful bits and he also dropped the rubber dust boots that seal the handbrake cables to the backing plates , very hard to source these little blighter but a nice addition to the restoration .

That looks exactly like what AGCO supplied for where the Multi-power rod went thru the bell-housing on a 135 recently
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

update time again guys and today i was cleaning up some of the parts of the pick up hitch and re boring out some of the freshly welded holes , hopefully thgis will really take most of the play the was in the p.u.h .

and after a good session with the wire brush .

so its update time again guys , we put in a full 12 hour shift in the workshop yesterday , long day but we got plenty done and we are making good progress despite a few minor set backs , anyway first thing was to get the rest of the tractor stripped down ready for another good soaking in jizer and a final wash .

as you can see in some of the pictures we have pulled the shafts for the brake pedals and i have new brass bushings to go in there along with a new set of pedals should leave her as good as new , you will also see in another picture that the safety start switch has been damaged at some stage , i have a new one to go in as well .

now when the tractor arrived to us i noticed that the sensor for the temperature gauge had been snapped off in the thermostat housing , we tried to remove this with pliers etc but it was stuck fast so there was nothing for it but the dismantle it and get in out on the bench .

i had to splash out on a new vice as the " others " made bits of the old one trying to sledge something while it was in the vice !!! not recommended , anyway i got a new 10" Jefferson industrial swivel vice with quick release slide , it is a fair brute of a thing and the biggest , strongest one i could get from mackeys so hopefully they wont manage to smash this one !!!

while the brother was washing i got stuck in to dismantling the doors off the Duncan cab . they need a bit fetling but the overall shape is good and original Duncan cab doors are very hard to get intact , i got all the glass removed and got the locks off ready for a bit of cutting and welding .

and finally washed off including all the parts .

time to start wire brushing now !!!

the tractor is now split so that we could get access to the shaft that runs to the clutch pedal and activates the release bearing , i could not take any pictures as the battery went on the phone , i will take some tomorrow , one of the shafts is badly worn so i will either get a new one made or order a new one from QTP and again i have a set of new brass bushings to go into her and a new clutch pedal to leave her like new again , we had a close look at the clutch itself and it is in very good condition so it should have plenty of life left in it .
    that's it for now guys but i will have another update tomorrow evening , thanks for looking .

update time again guys , so the tractor is split and i took some pictures as promised , you can see the wear on the clutch shaft so ive been trying to track down a new one and if that fails i can get one made .

we got some new parts delivered up on Saturday evening including an original Lucas horn button and some real nice " proper type " hose clips and the sought after brass bush that holds the elusive rubber boot onto the brake cable on the rear hubs , ive been informed that this has come from America and was the only one in stock anywhere !!!!

so we will be a few days waiting on the parts so that we can put the tractor back together so i decided to get stuck into the Duncan cab and get it stripped down ready for wire brushing and shot blasting .

there is some heavy pitting here and there in the areas where the water might lie but overall she is very solid and a great base to work from , i cleaned some of it off with the 9" grinder and wire brush and it came up surprisingly well , you will notice in one of the pictures that she has an original " rod " operated wiper motor , it would be nice to source one of these and keep the thing as original as possible , the owner has been on to someone that still has spares for Duncan cabs so fingers crossed .

so its another update guys , today was spent wire brushing in earnest , lots of little parts to be done individually , on a side note im using a full face mask and i changed the filters yesterday after a month and the amount of stuff that had gathered in the old one was frightening .

for those that are interested we only use " knotted " wire brushes from Jefferson , we have tried numerous different makes over the years and they all tend to shred themselves after very little use and you end up with a belly full of shards of wire ( got one embedded in my hand one day , such a job to get him out ) , you can work the Jefferson ones right down to the nib with out a bother .

so i tackled the " little " parts .

while the brother got stuck into the back end of the tractor .

hello all , im back after a wee hiatus , myself and the wife were ten years married last weekend and she whisked me away for a night to the farnham estate in cavan , the brother has been slaving away on his own while i was absent so i dont have a lot of pictures to share but we have mostly been cleaning flat out and ive tried my hand at a bit of sand blasting yesterday too , this turned out to be a fecking nightmare because i got fairly coarse grit silicone based sand and it wouldn't go through the fecking nozzle on the blaster so i had to modify one from an old air connection , it worked alright but was a bit heavy on the sand so it didn't have the desired effect i was looking for , anyway you live and learn i guess , i will be better prepared the next time ,

anyway the first few pictures show the new clutch pedal/shafts ( we had to get the longer of the two made as it was not available from stock ) and brass bushings fitted and the tractor back together .

and my foray at sand blasting !!!

ive ordered a few different size tips to control the sand better and i will have another lash at it soon , i really wanted to get into all the corners and impossible to reach areas on the cab especially where i cant get with the wire brush !

and finally for today we have nearly finished the wire brushing on the tractor itself so we threw the wheels back together and got her ready to be rolled out for one final quick wash and De-greasing on Saturday !!

evening all , just another wee update from today , i was wire brushing the cab and the brother was at a few of the smaller bits including the tank , its slow monotonous work but what can ya do , has to be done !!!

Looks like it's shaping up to be another first class job. Must admit I wouldn't have the patience to restore a Duncan cab though as I always thought they were one of the ugliest things ever made. Still better than getting wet though I suppose and sat inside you're the only one who can't see it.
    Out of interest how do you redrill the holes in bits like the stabiliser brackets after you have built them up with weld?

we also pulled the PTO shaft out , i got a new screw on cover for it but the threads are a bit damaged so we thought it best to pull it out and clean them up . ive a new oil seal and large o ring ordered to replace before we put it back .