Thread: Concrete....Cement

Concrete....Cement

Needing to put a slope on some existing concrete.....Cattle pens.
    How thin can I go?
    Two inches with a cement type mix rather than a concrete mix?
    Exploring possibilities.

Re: Concrete....Cement

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Needing to put a slope on some existing concrete.....Cattle pens.
    How thin can I go?
    Two inches with a cement type mix rather than a concrete mix?
    Exploring possibilities.
    I've never had experience with cattle pens, but if you are not using reinforcing (why would you, on existing concrete?) I think 2 in would be the minimum. I presume by "cement mix" you mean a screed of sand & cement, no aggregate. Ok if you want a smooth finish, but a sniff of 12mm aggregate would be more likely to provide a non-slip surface, at least for a while.

From my experience, the most important factor is for the new surface to bond to the old, especially if the screed is 2 ins or less. When we put a screed of sand/cement on the house floor to level it up for tiles, I was strongly advised to "sparrow peck" the existing surface to ensure a key. Used a cheap SDS hammer drill to create the roughened surface & it seems to have worked. If the surface of the pens is already rough, maybe a power wash would be adequate. Or maybe consider a concrete bonding agent.

More than you ever wanted to know

JV

it might work at 2 inches but through practice 4 inch would be better as 2 inch will start to lift & break off imho

Quote Originally Posted by flywheel View Post
    it might work at 2 inches but through practice 4 inch would be better as 2 inch will start to lift & break off imho
    Thinking about 3 down to 2 over 20 ft

Is the areas going to subjected to any freeze-thaw? significant temperature differences for the two layers (bottom layer at ground temperature and top layer receiving heat? - thinking of expansion-contraction causing the bond between the two being compromised)

What size stone were you planning on using?

What does your concrete supplier recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Is the areas going to subjected to any freeze-thaw? significant temperature differences for the two layers (bottom layer at ground temperature and top layer receiving heat? - thinking of expansion-contraction causing the bond between the two being compromised)

What size stone were you planning on using?

What does your concrete supplier recommend?
    Stone size will need to be small because of the shallow depth. No more than 10mm.
    Part of the reason for the cement thought.
    Not spoken to supplier yet, know what the answer will be......too thin, not possible.
    Did some mods a few years ago along side of feed passage.....6 inches down to nothing onto existing concrete, was advised at the time that it would chip and break away.....but nothing happened yet.

Where are you getting your concrete from barrel mixed lorry or batch mixing lorry ?.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBed View Post
    Where are you getting your concrete from barrel mixed lorry or batch mixing lorry ?.
    Good question...... Either is going to produce a large area, upping the amount of work for levelling tamping etc. Access is another problem, suppose some gates and sections could come off.
    Batch mixer could be dropping into handler bucket....same as barrel, secret of easy concrete laying is getting just the right amount dropped in just the right place, once you start moving any amount of excess around the site it gets difficult.

I'm pretty sure your original idea will be OK, but with a few conditions:

i) If the original concrete is cracked anywhere, use thin battens so that the screed also has a join there.

ii) Clean the original concrete off well with a pressure washer, and prime the surface with a good grade of PVA or similar.

iii) Add some properly specified PVA to the screed mix: follow the maker's instructions, but a 1% admix makes a huge difference.

iv) Use a good, washed, sharp sand for the mix.

v) Do it in cool weather without any chance of frost, and cover the new screed with polythene and some form of insulation on top - straw will do.

vi) Don't fiddle with it, or put any heavy loads on it for at least 30 days.

Could you get fibre strands into the mix? Would that help with strength?