Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Results 1,321 to 1,342 of 1342

Thread: Robot Project

Re: Robot Project

Is it feasible to milk cows in a Robot for just the first 100 days ?
    I have 150 cows and am struggling with a bad back. I am desperate to stay milking at least until Kids are old enough to have the chance of it. Vet thinks Robots are all or nothing but I can't make that kind of investment at the moment as I have bought quite a bit of land. Have stopped rearing young stock so have a spare 105 x 70 building spare to house the group and the Robot.
    Are Robots all or nothing or would putting just the freshest cows in it work ?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiNFU View Post
    I have 150 cows and am struggling with a bad back. I am desperate to stay milking at least until Kids are old enough to have the chance of it. Vet thinks Robots are all or nothing but I can't make that kind of investment at the moment as I have bought quite a bit of land. Have stopped rearing young stock so have a spare 105 x 70 building spare to house the group and the Robot.
    Are Robots all or nothing or would putting just the freshest cows in it work ?
    As I have never had a parlour, i'm probably not best placed to answer but I think it would be the worst of both worlds if you were to adopt a pick 'n' mix approach as cows do get trained to a robot very quickly. Then they get used to being able to milk themselves when they feel like it. This de-stresses them as they are not being herded twice a day but to then revert to putting them in a collecting yard again would likely upset them. You can buy robots on the never never and they do have a good resale value. The alternative would be to get a herd manager in & carry on milking as you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    As I have never had a parlour, i'm probably not best placed to answer but I think it would be the worst of both worlds if you were to adopt a pick 'n' mix approach as cows do get trained to a robot very quickly. Then they get used to being able to milk themselves when they feel like it. This de-stresses them as they are not being herded twice a day but to then revert to putting them in a collecting yard again would likely upset them. You can buy robots on the never never and they do have a good resale value. The alternative would be to get a herd manager in & carry on milking as you are?
    I'm afraid herd manager is out. It would drive me round the bend and where as staff need time off Robot's although they may break down are there 365.
    As for the never never how much roughly are 3 Robots excluding works ? What sort of terms are they offering ie how long do you put them over ? Rates ?
    I realise I can find this all out from Lely etc but want to be serious if and when I do call them. Anybody running a Gea Robot ?

I think Neil O did this before he 'went solo'

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    If Neil did it I'd think it must be good but then you spoilt it ! Or was the going solo bit separate Neil ?

I'm afraid herd manager is out. It would drive me round the bend and where as staff need time off Robot's although they may break down are there 365.
    As for the never never how much roughly are 3 Robots excluding works ? What sort of terms are they offering ie how long do you put them over ? Rates ?
    I realise I can find this all out from Lely etc but want to be serious if and when I do call them. Anybody running a Gea Robot ?

With two Delaval robot engineers living close to you , they would be worth a look . I can arrange it if you like . Pm me !
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post
    With two Delaval robot engineers living close to you , they would be worth a look . I can arrange it if you like . Pm me !
    Pm sent
    Ta

A neighbour of mine does this with around 100 cows. He has a lely in and milks the fresh calved cows through it (around 55 I think) then milks the rest in the parlour. His milking time has been reduced from 3 1/2 hours to just over 1 hour. Also means that he is using the robot to its full potential as he is averaging 2000l per day all year round. The big disadvantage he sees is that the cows can drop in yield quite dramatically when he moves them to the parlour.

Perhaps a visit to Walford collage (Shropshire) would be a good start. they have one Fullwood Merlin along side a new parlour also.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Perhaps a visit to Walford collage (Shropshire) would be a good start. they have one Fullwood Merlin along side a new parlour also.
    Think I've come to the conclusion it is all or nothing now so will concentrate on seeing if Robots are any good to us.
    Is the Merlin a viable alternative to Lely ?

My thinking would be either spend a bit extending current parlour to speed up milking , or go second hand on the robots for now meaning you could have two for the same budget , two a3's made 37k a few days ago , very capable robots ,very little difference in output between an A3 and A4 and certainly will attach just as well as it's the same arm . Probably have to pay a fair bit more than 37k each to get second hand from lely mind but then one day if you wanted new you could trade them in . Or if wanting to go even cheaper second hand merlin or A2's ,not quite the output of the later ones but tremendous bang for your buck .

We did indeed, with 2 Lely A2's going in in Nov 2006 ( that seems a long time ago now). In effect, we found some cows (mostly PI Holsteins) that just flew on the system, and ended up staying there until nearly dry. Others where pushed out to the parlour herd when room was tight in the robots and space had to be found.

We were in a situation where we had staff and a parlour, and not the finances or layout to put enough robots in for the lot. The plan was to put more robots in if it worked as hoped, which I would have certainly done. If you are a smaller operation, you will end up doing stupid hours, running a parlour and the robots. The initial training will take much longer, as you will be training a few fresh calvers each week for a year or more. You could end up with the worst of all worlds.

The plus side is that, once a cow is trained, they will jump straight back in later on and hit the ground running. We had half a dozen cows that had been bought from a (badly run & financially squeezed) robot herd and hadn't seen bots for 4 years. We put them in once, programmed teat coordinates, and never touched them again.

If I was to go back into milking again, I would only consider it with high yielding cows on robots (which I was seriously considering for another FBT tender, before getting this place).

I 'went solo' purely for family politics reasons, certainly not for any failings of robots. Sometimes the sh*t just ain't worth taking any longer.

Chips, as usual, is talking a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post

We did indeed, with 2 Lely A2's going in in Nov 2006 ( that seems a long time ago now). In effect, we found some cows (mostly PI Holsteins) that just flew on the system, and ended up staying there until nearly dry. Others where pushed out to the parlour herd when room was tight in the robots and space had to be found.

We were in a situation where we had staff and a parlour, and not the finances or layout to put enough robots in for the lot. The plan was to put more robots in if it worked as hoped, which I would have certainly done. If you are a smaller operation, you will end up doing stupid hours, running a parlour and the robots. The initial training will take much longer, as you will be training a few fresh calvers each week for a year or more. You could end up with the worst of all worlds.

The plus side is that, once a cow is trained, they will jump straight back in later on and hit the ground running. We had half a dozen cows that had been bought from a (badly run & financially squeezed) robot herd and hadn't seen bots for 4 years. We put them in once, programmed teat coordinates, and never touched them again.

If I was to go back into milking again, I would only consider it with high yielding cows on robots (which I was seriously considering for another FBT tender, before getting this place).

I 'went solo' purely for family politics reasons, certainly not for any failings of robots. Sometimes the sh*t just ain't worth taking any longer.

Chips, as usual, is talking a lot of sense.
    Thanks Neil.
    Got Lely coming out next week. Decided it's all or nothing so it's all bots or no cows.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    My thinking would be either spend a bit extending current parlour to speed up milking , or go second hand on the robots for now meaning you could have two for the same budget , two a3's made 37k a few days ago , very capable robots ,very little difference in output between an A3 and A4 and certainly will attach just as well as it's the same arm . Probably have to pay a fair bit more than 37k each to get second hand from lely mind but then one day if you wanted new you could trade them in . Or if wanting to go even cheaper second hand merlin or A2's ,not quite the output of the later ones but tremendous bang for your buck .
    Got plenty of room to extend parlour made sure of that when it went in but I just cant do it any more. I have battled a bad back and being told by medics I can't work since I was 16 I'm now 40 and in danger of coming to a halt. I was rushed into hospital in mid Jan and am struggling to get going again. I've just watched the wife go out to milk with Dad who is on the pension and it is soul destroying. It was 5.30am and they were going out to do my work. I take tablets now to get me going and then get up and make kids sandwiches and get them off to school. I realise Robots require work but I feel a lot of it is work I can do. I can analyse the data and make adjustments. I can do the jobs that would need doing but have come to the conclusion I can't and do not want to risk buggering myself milking twice a day any more. I have 5 kids and want to keep milking for another 10 years to at least give them the option.
    With the 2nd hand kit can you have the activity monitors and the cell counting either added or was it available when they were made ? Is there a big difference between the A3's and latest models ?

Got plenty of room to extend parlour made sure of that when it went in but I just cant do it any more. I have battled a bad back and being told by medics I can't work since I was 16 I'm now 40 and in danger of coming to a halt. I was rushed into hospital in mid Jan and am struggling to get going again. I've just watched the wife go out to milk with Dad who is on the pension and it is soul destroying. It was 5.30am and they were going out to do my work. I take tablets now to get me going and then get up and make kids sandwiches and get them off to school. I realise Robots require work but I feel a lot of it is work I can do. I can analyse the data and make adjustments. I can do the jobs that would need doing but have come to the conclusion I can't and do not want to risk buggering myself milking twice a day any more. I have 5 kids and want to keep milking for another 10 years to at least give them the option.
    With the 2nd hand kit can you have the activity monitors and the cell counting either added or was it available when they were made ? Is there a big difference between the A3's and latest models ?
    The big difference is in how the cow enters the box. With the A4, Lely introduced the "iflow" concept (& the "jflow") where the cow enters the box straight rather than on the turn. The idea was to try & reduce white line disease. Also, A4s have a 3D camera & a separate Central Unit so it is more compact. Plus you get the option of "operator" or "manager" package but at the end of the day, they will both milk cows (as will all the competitor machinery).
    Robots are modular so it is not difficult to add stuff & often the bots are updated whenever a tech comes calling or software is done remotely. You will need an internet connection in the barn & a telephone line (or SIM) for the CRS box. Personally, I am relieved to have SIM as our telephone line is not reliable.

Lely offer something called Total Solutions. It's their HP scheme but also includes all the stuff you'll need in terms of chemical. It is not especially cheap (a bank loan would be much cheaper) but it is repaid over 7 years.
    For 150 cows, you are going to need 2 machines.
    IF you are not in a desperate rush, Lely offer a significant discount if you give them 6 months notice (& pay 20% up front). This is very worthwhile.
    AND if you have the time, go & see as many robot farms of all colours as you can ........ and most importantly, ask the farmers. I was helped tremendously when researching for here.

The biggest advantage in my mind in the a4 over the a3 is reduced cost if going for two robots as it shares the engine room ,I guess the flip side there is you get a fault in the engine room both robots are down where as the A3's and 2's would only knock the one robot out , hardly ever going to be relevant mind . the other one maybe is that the a4 has an electric motor instead of air ram for the forwards and backwards of the arm ,I hope this would reduce the amount of compressed air required by quite a bit because there is no way of getting around the cost of compressed air , our compressor does 8hrs/day for one robot .
    The i flow thing may help but does take up more room per robot ,we get crazy high visits with the old system ,4 refusals on top of 3 plus milkings during the housed period so I don't think there is anything wrong with the old system there and we get little white line problems , however where the A4 would be better is in speed of cows leaving the robot as the feed trough is retracted at the end of milking and this is where there would be a small increase in output per box . A3's come with a weigh bridge as standard and stainless steel frame , these are now extra on the a4 . The a4 has a much simpler twin tube arrangement but this is available as an update to the a3 soon , heat time is already on most A3's bar the earliest ones but could be updated at a cost as ould most things like pura steam and cell counts reading . I don't have scc's reader and have never sampled the cows once in over 5 years as the info given by the mqc is plenty in my opinion, if a cow has mastitis it will always be on the mqc list and I think cdt's are a far better guide to a quarters health than an scc .
    If you have a wife who is willing to help and a father still around robots will be an absolute breeze and forget the parlour if you have poor health, you only live once , I manage as a one man band , do most of my field work and I think I have a better work / life balance than a lot of farmers with family,staff and contractors doing everything , as they say live life Lely or what ever make takes your fancy

Anyone on this thread anymore

Ideally it needs to be incorporated in to "Robot Milking - All" thread as there are enough of us now to have one thread to advice, chat, etc?

Perhaps there ought to be a Lely tech thread, a Fullwood tech thread, De Laval etc as well as a general one?

Good idea, would be less confusing to follow then

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    Good idea, would be less confusing to follow then
    But how would you merge these 46 pages without making it confusing??

But how would you merge these 46 pages without making it confusing??

The only way the forum can 'merge' 2 topics together results in posts in 'date of posting order'.
    The individual posts do still keep their original topic headings but are slotted together, in date order.
    Does that work do you think?
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

Nope

Ain't broke ......

IMHO of course