Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concrete railway sleepers

bassetts

Concrete railway sleepers

Hi,I'm looking at laying a track of about 200 metres out of Concrete railway sleepers.Would this be a good idea?.If so where can i find them and what would be the cost of them
    If anybody has try this PLEASE let me know

Many Thanks
    Bassetts

JohnDeere8530

Re: Concrete railway sleepers

try underneath railway track, best done at night !

walrus

Quote Originally Posted by bassetts View Post
    Hi,I'm looking at laying a track of about 200 metres out of Concrete railway sleepers.Would this be a good idea?.If so where can i find them and what would be the cost of them
    If anybody has try this PLEASE let me know

Many Thanks
    Bassetts
    Once carted silage at a farm where the man had done this and it was ruff as f*ck couldnt get over 10mph over the years they had settled down some lower than others was soooo glad to get away from that farm :lolk:

kipper

Think you need to PM Cat V12,

bassetts

Quote Originally Posted by kipper View Post
    Think you need to PM Cat V12,
    I think cat v12 is no longer a member? I try searching but no results

kipper

think one of his mates is on here.
    Have you looked on the old site, i think there is pitchers of a job he did.
    Have a look in the building topic.

essex_pete

Sounds like a lot of faffing about. Would it not be easier to membrane and roll in crushed concrete (although tbh I don't know whether the availability of crushed has changed)

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by essex_pete View Post
    Sounds like a lot of faffing about. Would it not be easier to membrane and roll in crushed concrete (although tbh I don't know whether the availability of crushed has changed)
    whats the cost of membrane and can amount of crushed stone be reduced using it

Steevo

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    whats the cost of membrane and can amount of crushed stone be reduced using it
    4m x 50m geotextile costs approx 100 a roll. Bound to reduce stone requirements to some extent as it stops the stone getting pushed down into soft soil. Also makes it a lot easier to reinstate the site if you ever decided to remove the track.

bassetts

Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    4m x 50m geotextile costs approx 100 a roll. Bound to reduce stone requirements to some extent as it stops the stone getting pushed down into soft soil. Also makes it a lot easier to reinstate the site if you ever decided to remove the track.
    Thanks steevoo,That sound a good idea.
    Bassetts

nick

i done some work recently for a chap who had a yard layed out in concrete sleepers.levels were all over the place.would not reccomend it
    nick..............

bassetts

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    i done some work recently for a chap who had a yard layed out in concrete sleepers.levels were all over the place.would not reccomend it
    nick..............
    Thanks Nick

Red Bull

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Once carted silage at a farm where the man had done this and it was ruff as f*ck couldnt get over 10mph over the years they had settled down some lower than others was soooo glad to get away from that farm :lolk:
    I've been told the trick is to first lay 2 rows of parallel sleepers in the direction of the track then lay the sleepers across these. This should stop individual sleepers sinking in more than the next.

bassetts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    I've been told the trick is to first lay 2 rows of parallel sleepers in the direction of the track then lay the sleepers across these. This should stop individual sleepers sinking in more than the next.
    Thanks Mate sounds good.

JD Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDeere8530 View Post
    try underneath railway track, best done at night !
    Spread a few leaves on the line first to stop the trains first though....

Milkloss

Old topic I know but was wondering how this one played out?

Joules

It wasn't clear whether just for traffic or for cattle. I wouldn't do it for traffic as over time they will start to rock and get water underneath and gradually sink in. Seem one a mate uses all winter to take muck out and it's a right mess although only put in a couple of years ago. Cow tracks they are brilliant but we never run anything bigger than a quad bike up them.

reggie75

one of our customers had a load put down as cow tracks,east to lay and settle.as said there a bit rough to drive on but its only paddock accses.from memory i think they were only 3.50 each delliverd,this was 4 year ago tho

vinnie123

we work on a farm with thirty year old sleeper track and it is the bollocks, dont know how it was laid though. dont think price has changed much from 4 year ago

Joules

Our track went in 14 months ago 3.50/sleeper delivered, cost will depend on how far they need to transport them. Plenty advertised in farming classifieds.

giles1

We use them for feed passage,shed floor(cattle),and hard standing for muck/slurry outside shed.Feed passage went in in the 70s and the rest in the 80s.Put one side of shed where cattle stand at feed passage sleepers laid on 2 lines of sleepers, other side laid on bare ground,no difference.Both sides regularly scraped.Great and was something like 30% cost of concrete,if you dont like it ,move it.They are worth more now than we paid for them too, unlike concrete.Should add preparation is key,try and knock out or cut any bolts sticking out and make sure ground is level or put sleepers under first.On sand or gravel, ours have never moved.Would do my drive tomorrow with them if I had a few '000 to spare.If they do move ,a crowbar and shovel of gravel soon sorts it.
    We also use them as strainers,not the easiest of things to work with,but never had to replace one yet.....

Dry Rot

Didn't they used to lay roads on sheep fleeces? They are meant to stop a road sinking in a bog. Just a thought.

h200gt

Anyone used them between H sections to make a concrete wall?

Need to make a bay to hold manure and thought of sinking in H sections and sliding them in between.

happy hillbily

Quote Originally Posted by h200gt View Post
    Anyone used them between H sections to make a concrete wall?

Need to make a bay to hold manure and thought of sinking in H sections and sliding them in between.
    Quite a few people around here done so, works similar to a weeping wall,
    Make sure ALL the sleepers ere the same, one guy i knew, bought two lots, layed the H iron after getting the first lot, second lot woodent fit as they were larger, a lot of faffing about to cut them.
    I used them for a wall on a small shed in the yard, Had to cut 4" off either end to make them fit, still saw wouldent cut half way through, I had to cut all the way around the sleeper, and hen break it up with a sledge hammer, and then finaly cut the center bit, had to use abrasive disks due to the reinforcing bar inside, and the list goes on!!! next time i will be using pannels!!!

Scotty25

If laid correctly sleepers create a fantastic surface. You first need to lay a compacted sub-base of granular material e.g. Type 1, Crushed Concrete or perhaps Road Planings. The sleepers should then be placed on top. Provided the sub-base is compacted correctly and laid on firm ground you shouldnt get any problems. Any gaps between the sleepers once laid can then be filled with Road Planings to create a smooth surface.

besty

Totally agree with Scotty25 above. Ive been on numerous farm walks and seen various different cow tracks. Ive seen one farm where they literally just sat the sleepers on grass down the side of a field... They had all sunk to different levels and looked very untidy. Some had also started to chip and as a result the farm had to invest in a brush for the quad bike.

Then i went to another farm that had laid over a mile of concrete sleeper tracks... They had gone the whole hog and dug out the top soil and turf, laid a hard base underneath and then sat the sleepers on top again. Some parts of the track had been down for 10 years, some down for 1 month.... all looked immaculate and no sleepers had moved.

To get it right for a cow track i think the secret is to make the effort to get a good solid base underneath if you want your investment to last any decent time with minimal fuss.

I went down the route of large wood chip cow tracks. This works very well for us.

Scotty25

One of those cases where if a jobs worth doing it's worth doing properly

BAC

[YOUTUBE]AaYfrcfVLA4[/YOUTUBE]

you won't find much better!

SPACE COWBOY

smooth operator

v12cat

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    [YOUTUBE]AaYfrcfVLA4[/YOUTUBE]

you won't find much better!
    Looking at that reminds me I need to get some more bucket teeth. They don't look like that any more!!