Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slurry Pit Liners

never_b_rich

Slurry Pit Liners

Putting a slurry pit in, cant justify a concrete one as its for sucklers, looking at laying a liner.
    Anyone put one in?

pellow

Re: Slurry Pit Liners

if you have enough clay content in your soil you will be able to line it with that

never_b_rich

No clay here I'M afraid. 1000ft up on a hill.
    Have seen puddling clay advertised though anyone know how much they charge?

samw90

I lined a lagoon last year 620000 gallon,felt underlay,liner and floating cover,cost 16500 in materials.

never_b_rich

Why have the floating cover?. Had a quote for supply and welding 2mm liner no felt underneath, 6/m2.

cozzie

Quote Originally Posted by samw90 View Post
    I lined a lagoon last year 620000 gallon,felt underlay,liner and floating cover,cost 16500 in materials.
    have never seen this with my own eyes, is it effective, whats the price and who supplies

samw90

Quote Originally Posted by never_b_rich View Post
    Why have the floating cover?. Had a quote for supply and welding 2mm liner no felt underneath, 6/m2.
    Because we get 1800mm of rain a year!

samw90

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    have never seen this with my own eyes, is it effective, whats the price and who supplies
    Was actually 2007 when i bought the liner/cover,its a material called nicoflex.

pellow

Because we get 1800mm of rain a year!
    thats interesting I've never heard of that before, where does the water drain too?

samw90

rain water ie:we pump it off or start it syphoning over the side down the drain.

never_b_rich

V interesting, do you have a photo of the finished lagoon ith cover on?

How do you get on with spreading the slurry is there enough liquid in it or do you have to add water when stirring?

Ritchie

Minimum thickness for H.D.P.E is now 2.5 mm if you want EA approval. And if you go ahead with 2mm and something happens, you'r in deep **IT.
    Have a look here talk to Mathew http://www.aquadam.co.uk/

Ritchie

riggy

samW90 glad its a floating cover, i thought your liner had gone t-ts up when i drove past the other day!!!!!

pellow

do you roll the floating cover back to stir up when emptying?

samw90

Quote Originally Posted by never_b_rich View Post
    V interesting, do you have a photo of the finished lagoon ith cover on?

How do you get on with spreading the slurry is there enough liquid in it or do you have to add water when stirring?
    Sorry no pics at minute will get some,there's enough liquid going in because we have a dairy herd,for beef i would divert silage clamp water.

http://www.steenbergeninternational....js-foil-basin/

samw90

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    Minimum thickness for H.D.P.E is now 2.5 mm if you want EA approval. And if you go ahead with 2mm and something happens, you'r in deep **IT.
    Have a look here talk to Mathew http://www.aquadam.co.uk/

Ritchie
    Is this hearsay? as when buying my liner I just bought equivalent product I was quoted for.

samw90

Quote Originally Posted by riggy View Post
    samW90 glad its a floating cover, i thought your liner had gone t-ts up when i drove past the other day!!!!!
    Lots of people ask when I'm going to use it !

samw90

Quote Originally Posted by pellow View Post
    do you roll the floating cover back to stir up when emptying?
    Because there is no air in the pit it doesn't seem to separate,but we do circulate the store with an umbilical pump.Old store was only stirred twice in 28 years! but we only bedded on sawdust.

cozzie

Because there is no air in the pit it doesn't seem to separate,but we do circulate the store with an umbilical pump.Old store was only stirred twice in 28 years! but we only bedded on sawdust.
    i find that hard to believe twice in 28 years, what type of store was it

samw90

Quote Originally Posted by cozzie View Post
    i find that hard to believe twice in 28 years, what type of store was it
    Because we pumped in every other day I think it stopped it from settling (circular enamel store)

Fergieman

Is this what you are looking for?

Ritchie

NOT hearsay. A.E would want you to use anything in H.D.P.E thats thicker than 2.5 mm, prefrably 5-6mm its already going on on the continent, aaaanyway the thicker it is the less prone to minor rips and tares. But there's one good thing about using it is you can repair it with a hot air gun and a patch.
    Most installers will now give a 20 year garentee.

Ritchie

Snipper

Did you apply for planing permission for these lagoons or did you go straight ahead and build them. I have applied for planing but heard nothing back only that they had received the forms.

samw90

I got planning permission cost 50 and got approval off the EA for the lagoon and liner.

Michael McGirr

Useful website if you are considering lining a slurry pit, or need cost effective storage option

www.jonesmcgirr.com

They design, supply and install 2.5mm HDPE, and yes, it does have to be 2.mm HDPE for EA approval I'm afraid. They are based in N Ireland but have installed lagoons in Scotland, England, ROI etc.

Snipper

Are there going to be grants to build these rolled out across England. I read in dairy farmer magazine that the south west developement agency were all ready handing them out at 40%.

Tim Dart

Perhaps it is worth just clearing up a little confusion. The South West Regional Development Agency is not offering grant for slurry pit liners, but can offer support for covers over slurry lagoons and tanks. There are also a number of other on farm items that can attract grant, for more information please explore the link below.

http://www.sw-ruralgateway.info/gett...agement-1.shtm

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dart View Post
    Perhaps it is worth just clearing up a little confusion. The South West Regional Development Agency is not offering grant for slurry pit liners, but can offer support for covers over slurry lagoons and tanks. There are also a number of other on farm items that can attract grant, for more information please explore the link below.

http://www.sw-ruralgateway.info/gett...agement-1.shtm
    That has to be the most backward idea ever. No grant for the lagoon, but a cover, yeah, great....

pellow

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    That has to be the most backward idea ever. No grant for the lagoon, but a cover, yeah, great....

err yeah, if the farmer needs a lagoon he pays for it and the government help by keeping rainwater out, seems pretty logical to me

Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by pellow View Post
    err yeah, if the farmer needs a lagoon he pays for it and the government help by keeping rainwater out, seems pretty logical to me
    Why not just give a grant to the farmer to help pay for the muck store? Are we in the business of actually helping farmers or just paying for ridiculous lip services?