Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slurry Pit Liners

Tim Dart

Re: Slurry Pit Liners

<P>The Regional Development Agencies are not permitted to invest in slurry or manure storage. As Pellow indicates this is deemed to be standard agricultural investment.&nbsp;The days of getting exactly&nbsp;what&nbsp;farmers want out of grants are sadly gone.</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>However, with investements in lagoon covers and slurry seperators, (also a fundable item under this scheme)&nbsp;it could be possible to help reduce the amount you need to store by 30%, (you&nbsp;may be able to avoid&nbsp;the costs of expanding your store).&nbsp;Its not the panacea, but it&nbsp;is a bit more than lip service and&nbsp;I think it&nbsp;may really&nbsp;help some people who find themselves with NVZ compliance issues.</P>

Snipper

Finished lining today.

dalos

Who did you get the liner from as i am about to look into a new lined store, any hints on going about it.

Snipper

http://www.geosynthetic.co.uk/

used this company very happy with finished project.

chillaton

If you want to use a stirrer, it is worth puting concrete at the stirring points to save the liner from being sucked up or damaged by the stirrer's leg or impeller.
    If you have a large lagoon a powerful Mixit stirrer will minimize the stirring points especially if you have much crust.
    Generally, if you only stir when nearly full, then no problem, so no concrete, unless of course you have a sediment or pigs etc.

m123**

Tanlake Farm & machinery supply and install lagoon liners to the UK they are based in somerset, provide a complete one piece sheet to ensure no leakages and fit any shape hole. All materials are approved by the environment agency and have a 20 year guarantee in place and can provide floating covers as well. They also have the relevant certificates to be able to install in Scotland under the SEPA regulations.

Tel: 01404 861236 ask for Chris or
    chris@tanlake.co.uk

well reccomended.

Brains

What experience do people have with DIY concrete panel slurry stores?

We are fancying buying 4 corner panels and then some "L" shaped panels in-between half dug in the ground to support the walls. (500m^3)

When pig prices are going down and feed going up why spend any more than you have to!!

From the outset they seem that they will be robust, durable and simple to build.

People use them for everything nowadays and are assumed to be water tight in grain store walls. So why doesn’t everybody have one???

Compared to pond liners there is less risk of the membrane been punctured and if half dug into the ground there is a readymade safety barrier.

The life span of a concrete tank will surely out do any plastic membrane which the sun will rot.

I am sure I can be proved wrong, but the feedback would be interesting!!

Brains

cozzie

just had a peep the other day at the local 220 acre lagoon being constructed, not for ag use obviously. big is the word that comes to mind

chillaton

Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    What experience do people have with DIY concrete panel slurry stores?

We are fancying buying 4 corner panels and then some "L" shaped panels in-between half dug in the ground to support the walls. (500m^3)

From the outset they seem that they will be robust, durable and simple to build.

Compared to pond liners there is less risk of the membrane been punctured and if half dug into the ground there is a readymade safety barrier.

Brains
    I built mine with the toe of the L facing out and back filled onto this with clay and it worked well. It is still sound after 20 years.
    I bedded them on level concrete so they butted up square.

I built my first stirrer because of this lagoon and soon realised that square corners are bad news as the crust jams in the corners.
    Also the deeper the better. Easier to mix and less surface for rain.
    Put a pipe through the side if it is really deep to assist umbillical systems with priming/pumping.
    The bottom should be level. A sump might be useful.

A lip/wall is a problem for stirring unless you have a few higher mixing spots capable of allowing the tractor to manoeuvre and a lagoon stirrer to reach in to some depth. There is also more chance of leaks especially if hit! Opposite corners could be ideal, or all one side.

The worst crust is always at push in point so make sure you can hit this with thrust. Always start here whilst you have the most water and thus - thrust. Mix the edges before touching the middle to preserve liquid for thrust.

As a contractor/manufacturer I've stirred a few lagoons, and if you use a mixit stirrer and you will save even more time!

I have a new video of the 20ft/6m lagoon stirrer with the 130hp impeller on youtube, or click HERE

There is a tower stirrer video and specifications on my website

dalos

Has anyone installed a liner from Aquadam, if so did they do a good job or one to avoid, they seem reasonably priced compared to many others?

Lewis

Is it possable to just line the sides of a slurry lagoon.? As the pit we have currently has a clay base but sides are starting to get a little worse for wear. Its lasted 25 years so its done well!! Can anyone suggest a firm/ company that does liners? Where located on the shropshire/mid wales boarder.
    thanks