Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: direct drilling photo gallery?

4 CROPS

Re: direct drilling photo gallery?

Quote Originally Posted by Hartwig View Post
    How did you kill the fescue and how do you control regrowth or chitted seed ??

Fescue is invading my fields here and there and is even with high rates of glyphosate not certain to kill or will regrow next year after it got brown.
    The last harvest wasn't taken for seed it was silaged instead because there wasn't enough heads to make a crop then it got 10 lt/ha glyphosate, 6 lt then 4 lt.

Between seed crops a herbicide was used to control fescue volentares which did a good job, hopefully there wont be any more. I probably should have drilled peas or something like that.

Monkthefarmer

In preperation for DD, a bit of rut filling of some wide combine wheelings.
    after wondering what to do about them, my dad came up with this!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Monkthefarmer View Post
    smart dad ! looks like it's working well

Monkthefarmer

Yes it works a treat & you get across the ground to rutted patches very quickly without too much disturbance to the soil other than where you need it.
    Been raking today too.

Badshot

Is that a home made rake too? The rut filler works well, farmers weekly competition entry next year?

Monkthefarmer

Yes it is, made it last year, ready for our first seasons DD with a new Claydon Hybrid.

Badshot

It looks a smart bit of workshop built equipment, very well built. Keep us posted how you get on with the claydon, it seems you are the sort to make it work one way or another.

kpa

Started drilling w/w with our new Weaving/Claydon hybrid.

peterraugland

what a looker :kiss:

sandersj89

Rape ,first lot drilled about 12 days ago with a new strip cat on demo with the contractor, very nice finish and interesting bit of kit. Very little soil movement and the rape was up nice and quickly.
    (All straw baled and removed in all pictures)
    This was after Parsnips then spring barley.

Then move onto more rape put in with Claydon, first two after wheat and then after barley.

All could do with a drop of water dare I say it!!

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by kpa View Post
    great looking set-up - why don't Claydon offer it like this ? a 6m is too heavy to be mounted IMO really

marco

That is just beautiful. (we need a thumbsup or loveheart smilie)

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    great looking set-up - why don't Claydon offer it like this ? a 6m is too heavy to be mounted IMO really
    I think they will if there's enough demand from Eastern Europe.

nick channer

I think they will if there's enough demand from Eastern Europe.
    they made one... with a 4m sr and 3 ton caddy hopper... it was on their website few weeks ago... i've seen it working.. we bought tractor that used to run it from farmer in royston... seeing it working is what made us buy a 4.8m fold up v-drill

Monkthefarmer

Started Drilling Rape today!

NeilO

Please feel free to shout me down, but doesn't that just make it look pretty & level? Won't the soil still be badly compacted under the loose soil pushed over the rut?

FarmerDan

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Please feel free to shout me down, but doesn't that just make it look pretty & level? Won't the soil still be badly compacted under the loose soil pushed over the rut?
    Presumably not in the rooting zone due to the Claydon's ripper tine, and I guess it doesn't make sense to cultivate the whole field to fill a few ruts when the rest of the field is good enough...

I think it's a reasonable approach to a difficult problem and he can subsoil the field when conditions are right i.e. in another autumn when the soil is dry enough.

FarmerDan

Started Drilling Rape today!
    Paul, looks like you've got the job sorted...!

Would be great to have a bit of a Shropshire stubbles stomp some time in the autumn when crops are up?

I'm afraid we won't have much to show for our direct drill investment this year, as the Kuhn isn't ideally suited to conditions but we'll still have one or two things to look at (mistakes mostly )

Monkthefarmer

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Yes, you are right. But we only have a few isolated places like this so did not want to work the whole field over for these small patches. And as Farmer Dan says, better to sort out in a dry year than one that is so wet underneath at the moment!
    We did contemplate putting a single leg subs oiler on the back at the same time, but It would be like a knife through butter, just needed to level for now!

Monkthefarmer

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerDan View Post
    Paul, looks like you've got the job sorted...!

Would be great to have a bit of a Shropshire stubbles stomp some time in the autumn when crops are up?

I'm afraid we won't have much to show for our direct drill investment this year, as the Kuhn isn't ideally suited to conditions but we'll still have one or two things to look at (mistakes mostly )
    Good idea Dan.
    We are all learning all the time, and as you say, it's not an easy year this year, for any system.

dontknowanything

Pedder's Mix 1, coming up for its two month birthday.

Normandyfarmer

Very nice cover crop !

What species have you got ? I see buckwheat, sunflowers, radish, vetch ?

When did you drill it ?

It looks thin, what was the seed rate ?

dontknowanything

Quote Originally Posted by Normandyfarmer View Post
    Very nice cover crop !

What species have you got ? I see buckwheat, sunflowers, radish, vetch ?

When did you drill it ?

It looks thin, what was the seed rate ?
    Millet, peas, linseed, oats. Drilled August 8th, 45kg/ha. I will go at a higher seedrate next time, especially where I'm going to graze it.

Willscale

First wheat of the year is now up.

Drilled 2 weeks ago exactly at about 65kg/ac and 42 tgw Alchemy. Probably should have done 75kg/ac given the cold and then rolled.

This field is pretty clean last year was WOSR and only had kerb in nov and it had 4l/ha glyphosate a month ago. Not sure what the next herbicide plan is - maybe just a mop up broadleaf in the spring and I can still use the remnants of the kerb and glyh to my advantage? We'll see.

I don't expect much weed to come through between now and the spring and look at all that lovely residue being eaten. Its a nice way of stopping raindrops hitting the soil surface so hard as well which I think sometimes make people say their land is heavy (or at least starves it of oxygen and blocks holes).

Third pic is from end of August which showed me I need to do nothing to the field.

That said it is a light field. Slugs have had some food at 4kg/ha and toying with what to do next - may not put anymore on as don't see much shredding.

shakerator

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    First wheat of the year is now up.

Drilled 2 weeks ago exactly at about 65kg/ac and 42 tgw Alchemy. Probably should have done 75kg/ac given the cold and then rolled.

This field is pretty clean last year was WOSR and only had kerb in nov and it had 4l/ha glyphosate a month ago. Not sure what the next herbicide plan is - maybe just a mop up broadleaf in the spring and I can still use the remnants of the kerb and glyh to my advantage? We'll see.

I don't expect much weed to come through between now and the spring and look at all that lovely residue being eaten. Its a nice way of stopping raindrops hitting the soil surface so hard as well which I think sometimes make people say their land is heavy (or at least starves it of oxygen and blocks holes).

Third pic is from end of August which showed me I need to do nothing to the field.

That said it is a light field. Slugs have had some food at 4kg/ha and toying with what to do next - may not put anymore on as don't see much shredding.
    what about a mossicide with your next herbicide, more moss than our local cemetry!

seriously tho what do you think to the moss? acidity?

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by shakerator View Post
    what about a mossicide with your next herbicide, more moss than our local cemetry!

seriously tho what do you think to the moss? acidity?
    I like moss. I am a touch acidic on this field and I will ph test a few areas again and possibly put some lime on later on (not ideal but weather etc.)

But really not bothered so much, when the canopy closes that moss will go.

knockie

Got the old FreeFlow into some rape stubble drilling winter barley, only traffic was combine and chaser bin following the same tracks. This is the first dd'ing we have done other than rape last year with a claydon. Got about 300 ac dd, most of the rest was mintilled in with the freeflow.

Cheers.
    SD.

strip-till-phil

Best Iv'e got as of now, straight in with SR as usual, got a lot of wheat after rape not looking too good

Neddy Flanders

Quote Originally Posted by strip-till-phil View Post
    Best Iv'e got as of now, straight in with SR as usual, got a lot of wheat after rape not looking too good

Please show the not too good bits as well. Why not so good?

Willscale

Looks pretty good that Knockie.