Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: direct drilling photo gallery?

Dockers

Re: direct drilling photo gallery?

Jim, if you get some good hard frosts, you will have some good skating !!
    Blimey, good luck and happy New Year.

1062mm here, not as wet as you !

York

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    Looks like our direct drilled crops 12 months ago..a real joy...not so today (see pic)
    Before any comments are made about the failure of direct-drilling, this field has not been touched since July 28th when it was raked...but during 2012 we had 24" more rainfall than we did in 2011 (39"-2012/15"-2011)
    now for the metric people:
    15" is 381 mm
    39" is 990
    Jim, looking at this it sure doesn't look nice.
    As I have quite a number of farmers which have higher rainfall, like 1200+ mm I'm just curious what is the reason for this water on the fields? Is it lack of the water to be drained / taken away by the streams?
    I understand that there is a big difference between flat land & rolling land when it comes to water standing.
    By the way, for skating you need a little more water to have a nice ice. As now on each "bank" you will be stopped or slowed down while scatting. ;-)
    York-Th.

eliot2004

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    Looks like our direct drilled crops 12 months ago..a real joy...not so today (see pic)
    Before any comments are made about the failure of direct-drilling, this field has not been touched since July 28th when it was raked...but during 2012 we had 24" more rainfall than we did in 2011 (39"-2012/15"-2011)
    Do you think the rake (if i really understend this action) could have close the top of your soil with little part of earth ?
    and then water can't go down .

Then i think that whatever the level of rainfall, it's the number of rainny day's that make trouble .

This year have been hard to me also because of this rainny day's .

2013 will be an happy new yaer

Ritchie

Average monthly rainfall here is around 305 mm. That's why we grow grass, lol.

Ritchie

Waited until soil temperature got above 8°C but had a lot of rain last week so soil temperature
    went up over 10°C before it was dry enough to drill Fuego Spring beans

So we've got warm moist soil all they've got to do is grow
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go

Keith...
    Nice photos...when would you normally be planting spring beans in your part of Kent..? Here in SW Worcestershire to get a decent crop they would need to be in by the middle of March...OK 2013 will be a totally different year so they might just not yield your usual 5 tons/ha...
    Our winter beans planted on March 5 th (@ 150mm) have yet to emerge...most seeds have germinated and are about 25-30mm from the soil surface..(We have been able to go in with a second dose of Glyphosate to control the emerged weeds..)
    But of most interest is where did you get your soil thermometer from....I have a number... and none are accurate..?

Thanks Jim
    Hope this is not the new normal. Generally last week of March or first week of April. like to see them start quick and grow without checks, saying that it looks as though next week may be colder than this

Soil thermometer Trade Counter Direct Ltd. seems accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by kpa View Post
    Thanks Jim
    Hope this is not the new normal. Generally last week of March or first week of April. like to see them start quick and grow without checks, saying that it looks as though next week may be colder than this

Soil thermometer Trade Counter Direct Ltd. seems accurate.
    Thank-you Keith... Soil temp has been a real issue this year...Spring wheat I DD'ed on April 2nd is now further behind crops drilled two weeks later...

Planted our beans 28th Feb, went into excellent seed bed they are just surfacing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Planted our beans 28th Feb, went into excellent seed bed they are just surfacing.
    Seven weeks seems a long time to battle through to see the sunshine
    Current advice is more inline with waiting until April although I can't say I was aware of it before today
    “It was noticeable that the high plant population from early drilling was especially susceptible to Chocolate Spot, with all the high plant populations adversely affected with a subsequent reduction of yield..” In the spring sown crops, there was no real difference in yield from any drilling date between February and early April, but the yield was higher from greater plant density. These findings are reflected in the PGRO recommendations for spring sowing of winter beans. Where the variety Wizard had been included in spring trials in the past, it has reliably produced a viable crop, although the advice is to progressively increase seed rates as plants will not have the chance to branch out as much as the autumn sown crop. Dr Biddle said that on heavy land the late sown winter beans could equal the yield of a spring bean variety, although on light land it may only achieve 80% of the output.
    “Given the wet soils this season it will be more important to get soil conditions right before planting, rather than worrying too much about the date. Even if that is left through into April, you will at least still get a crop.”
    I guess the seedbed was so good they didn't want to get out of it

Folio gold has been revoked, haven't had a year yet where we could have not sprayed for mildew. No beans this year though so got till next year to sort it out.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Crop emergence from DTS

Winter Barley drilled 20-10-12 @ 185kg/ha

Headlands

Drilled on the same day, wheat drilled by the farmers own disc drill on the left, DTS on the right. Both sides were drilled onto cultivated ground that had become very sodden, slugs also became a big problem and the field was rolled as soon as condtions allowed.

Fuel usage for our demo rig which consists of a 6m DTS plus John Deere 7230R has ranged from 8ltrs/ha to 15ltrs/ha depending on drill set up, leg depth etc and soil type. All fuel figures were calculated from the meter of the tank in the yard.

Marv.
    sumo1.com

Seven months later

At least two or three weeks behind last year.

at
    Winter Barley drilled 20-10-12 @ 185kg/ha
    what was the n° grains per sq metre? We are sowing here (france) about 220/sq m 90kg/ha