Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: direct drilling photo gallery?

Granite Farmer

Re: direct drilling photo gallary?

Quote Originally Posted by speccy View Post
    Not sure Will as i only got the information secondhand,I had to hold the fort while the chap went to the meeting-I will try and get some clarification.I should imagine that ploughing would be acceptable as you can plough the soil back up the slopes but thats just my opinion.
    I wouldn't even begin to imagine what goes on in the minds of the people that dream these things up.....

I agree with what you are saying too Tesla but I've got to say that as I mentioned in my previous post there is a couple of blocks of land quite close to me that are mintilled and the past three years since I moved here the steep areas at the top of the banks have been drilled every year and have failed every year-not saying thats down to any fault with any particular system as such but i'd be asking the question about wasted inputs on those areas of crop,and we are talking acres not just a patch here and there.

To be fair they are very steep,buttock clenchingly so in places but maybe in that particular situation those areas would be better being under some kind of environmental scheme as being grassed down for example would slow down if not stop the erosion?
    IMO if steep slopes are going to be cropped they should be ploughed/planted/combined etc striaght across the side or direct drilled across the side. Ploughing uphill every year should move soil back up the slope, very slowly of course.

speccy

'they' are apparently going to be looking extremely closely at erosion and what was said at the cross compliance meeting attended by my friend was that if for example you have a steep slope in your charge which is suffering from erosion due to tillage then you are going to have to put the stuff back.To be fair It wasn't just about slopes as Bare soil on tramlines was also mentioned.

Maybe thats where direct drilling will be champion,as there is minimal disturbace of soil structure as opposed to ploughing/mintill.

WillB

Quote Originally Posted by speccy View Post
    'they' are apparently going to be looking extremely closely at erosion and what was said at the cross compliance meeting attended by my friend was that if for example you have a steep slope in your charge which is suffering from erosion due to tillage then you are going to have to put the stuff back.To be fair It wasn't just about slopes as Bare soil on tramlines was also mentioned.

Maybe thats where direct drilling will be champion,as there is minimal disturbace of soil structure as opposed to ploughing/mintill.
    Not just water eroding soil. Pretty dusty driving down the A34 south of Oxford today,

Carpathian Cropper

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Bullock View Post
    Will and company....
    I think I have said several times on this forum that the more we go down the min-till route the more problems we seem to have... I stand to be damned by one and all but we are rapidly coming to the conclusion that you either direct-drill (little or no soil erosion) or if you have made a complete mess (and I mean a total balls-up due to rutting or uncontrollable weeds) then go in with the plough and start with a "clean sheet of paper". Learn from your mistakes and d-d the next time around...
    We did a total farm appraisal last friday (very depressing) and the conclusion was that all our direct drilled crops have potential with very low levels of black-grass and brome but where we messed about with shakerator and the Carrier plant numbers are much lower and the weed burden is such that we have decided to go in with glyphosate rather than Pacifica in several fields of winter wheat..this area will then go into grain maize...
    Jim

As someone who has been pilloried for saying that min till is not a step to no till. That min till is worse than a plough when used correctly. On so many occasions I have lost count. It is very pleasing to see you come to same conclusion.

York and I have spent last 4 days going to round farms and not all no till ones at that. The oft portrayed view that a plough is somewhat akin to Satan has little or no evidence in trials or fact. That ploughing and worm count numbers, plus other soil life work done is in conditions where proceeding crop impacted. Little or no work done on ploughing when it was dry.

There are no end of trials showing and posts on BFF that min till is not the answer. Be it second cereals or slug numbers or disease control or soil carrying ability. Definite decline in plant food availability and root restriction from min till.

So thanks again.

Regards.

Hoffmister

Some pics of our early DD efforts. One is of 1st wheat drilled after fallow with a mustard covercrop. It was drilled with an 8m VD Seedhawk into a very hard stoney soil. The photo was taken 04th March 09. The other 2 photos are of our new 8m Weaving Krause System machine drilling spring barley into chopped wheat stubble.
    Attachment 7393 Attachment 7394 Attachment 7395

giubraz1

Photos taken at Fazenda Cancao ( Cancao Farms)Santa Catarina State of Brazil, october 2007( spring).
    • The 2 first Pics, the Planter is sowing Corn over Black Oats stubble.
    • The other 2 pics is the corn after its germination
    Direct Drill - NO TILL SYSTEM - Stubble Retantion Management

Cheers Mate,

Greg

giubraz1. I like it. That is precisely what we are doing here but on 166 mm row spacing.
    The TDN would't have a hope. In betting parlance it would be London to a brick on that the TDN would'nt drill into that trash.
    Regards,
    Greg.

billyboy

I bet that is round-up ready maize? No worries about soil active residual herbicides working.

doorknob

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmister View Post
    Some pics of our early DD efforts. One is of 1st wheat drilled after fallow with a mustard covercrop. It was drilled with an 8m VD Seedhawk into a very hard stoney soil. The photo was taken 04th March 09. The other 2 photos are of our new 8m Weaving Krause System machine drilling spring barley into chopped wheat stubble.
    Attachment 7393 Attachment 7394 Attachment 7395
    I have a question about the wheat stubble chopping. What was your main reasoning for the chopping? Was it specifically for planting, or other?

Did you hire the seedhawk in to plant in the stones? Or do you have one?

Burkie50

Dear Giubraz: Great pics. That Semeato looks like it's really doing a nice job. Are you doing the advising?
    That's true blue no-tilling, for sure.
    Burkie

Hoffmister

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    I have a question about the wheat stubble chopping. What was your main reasoning for the chopping? Was it specifically for planting, or other?

Did you hire the seedhawk in to plant in the stones? Or do you have one?
    Doorknob. I wasn't very clear there, I meant wheat stubble with with the straw chopped and spread (well it would be if the chopper on the combine was spreading evenly). It has reminded us how important the combine residue management is.
    The Seedhawk was a prototype we had for the autumn on testing. We are trying to find the right drill for our stony soils and have not come to a conclusion yet. It will be interesting to see how the Weaving copes in the autumn.

giubraz1

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    I bet that is round-up ready maize? No worries about soil active residual herbicides working.
    nope, Round Up Ready is only alowed for soybean at this stage in Brazil, This No Till has been around since early 70's when Round Up wasn't even in the market, only Gramoxone, Reglone, Gramocil from the old ICI, Round Up joined NO TILL in Brazil mid-80's.

cheers mate

giubraz1

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    giubraz1. I like it. That is precisely what we are doing here but on 166 mm row spacing.
    The TDN would't have a hope. In betting parlance it would be London to a brick on that the TDN would'nt drill into that trash.
    Regards,
    Greg.
    hehehe... exactly what you are doing down in Tassie, We can make a good friends Greg!
    Let's post the PICS - this is what this thread is all about, isn't. PICTURES

Have a good one!

Cheers Mate!

doorknob

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmister View Post
    Doorknob. I wasn't very clear there, I meant wheat stubble with with the straw chopped and spread (well it would be if the chopper on the combine was spreading evenly). It has reminded us how important the combine residue management is.
    The Seedhawk was a prototype we had for the autumn on testing. We are trying to find the right drill for our stony soils and have not come to a conclusion yet. It will be interesting to see how the Weaving copes in the autumn.
    Awe,...ok, that makes sense. Thanks. I agree with the importance of the harvest time residue management. That is something I am learning about now too.

I have a friend in South Africa that farms soil with very similar stones, sometimes on a steep hill as well. For a lot of their crops they broadcast the seed, then cultivate it in. They use a dual hopper spreader that has one for fertilizer and one for seed. Both are metered seperately, but hit the same spinners. They do use an old John Shear(sp) drill for the canola, but removed the openers and simply drop the seed to the ground and then pull a harrow over it. Seems to work very well for their part of the world.

My part of the world has little to no rocks or stones in the fields. It is often amazing to me to watch the abilities of others to farm in so many stones.

Dockers

Hoff, remember broadcasting , better get that springtine back again. Worked very well if not to hard.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by giubraz1 View Post
    Photos taken at Fazenda Cancao ( Cancao Farms)Santa Catarina State of Brazil, october 2007( spring).
    • The 2 first Pics, the Planter is sowing Corn over Black Oats stubble.
    • The other 2 pics is the corn after its germination
    Direct Drill - NO TILL SYSTEM - Stubble Retantion Management

Cheers Mate,
    WOW great photos.If i did that here they would be booking me in to see the DOC.
    Thanks keep the photos comeing.
    JOHN.
    RTK would be a great help!!!!

Hoffmister

Quote Originally Posted by Dockers View Post
    Hoff, remember broadcasting , better get that springtine back again. Worked very well if not to hard.
    It did indeed i'd forgotten about that, not sure how it would handle the volume of trash this year though?
    Looking at that spring barley the other day maybe trash is not the issue we thought it would be???

Sam_TM

Quote Originally Posted by Pedders View Post
    how do I get the the little pics box thingy on here when posting pics ?
    Use 'Manage Attachments' - underneath the message box where you type out your reply..

Pedders

First time out with the moore
    DD Italian Ryegrass red clover and crimson clover mix into Spring Barley stubbles ...few teething problems with residue of fertiliser left in the hopper and coulters

Attachment 7683

Attachment 7684

WillScale

Last autumn pedders or recently?

Are you organic or not? Can't remember.

Pedders

yesterday will
    and we were organic , came out last year so starting second year of conventional cropping ...we didnt have clean stubbles like that when we were organic !

WillScale

next question.

why crimson clover?

Pedders

Will
    I put in crimson clover because that was the cotswold seeds mix ...was considering putting in their vetch based mixture but that was too expensive so removed the vetch but thought I'd leave the crimson in to see how it did and also to increase diversity in the mix ..apparently it lifts yield over a shorter period of time ...will be interesting to see if it does

Jim_Bullock

We are all going a bit off topic here...but never mind..We have been looking at a work done in France with cover-crops and one thing that comes through time and time again is that you need to plant a mixture of species to get the best results..trouble is that the seed is so..o expensivethat it end up being much cheaper to use the chemical/artificial alternative. I love the idea of being able to use plants to improve the availabilty of soil nutrients, improve soil structure, control pests...but it takes such a long time and costs so much that unless there is some serious financial incentive it will not happen...

s.chiles

Quote Originally Posted by Pedders View Post
    Will
    I put in crimson clover because that was the cotswold seeds mix ...was considering putting in their vetch based mixture but that was too expensive so removed the vetch but thought I'd leave the crimson in to see how it did and also to increase diversity in the mix ..apparently it lifts yield over a shorter period of time ...will be interesting to see if it does
    You should have kept the vetch, ideally suited to dd as it doesn't need to throw it's cotyledons above the ground to germinate. Attached is a field of dd'ed vetch grown with mustard for seed production.Not too easy to combine though as each plant grows 2 meters long.

Carpathian Cropper

We are all going a bit off topic here...but never mind..We have been looking at a work done in France with cover-crops and one thing that comes through time and time again is that you need to plant a mixture of species to get the best results..trouble is that the seed is so..o expensivethat it end up being much cheaper to use the chemical/artificial alternative. I love the idea of being able to use plants to improve the availabilty of soil nutrients, improve soil structure, control pests...but it takes such a long time and costs so much that unless there is some serious financial incentive it will not happen...
    I have had exactly the same chats with York. And am of your view. Visiting farms with him that use cover crops for fodder be it autumn cut or winter graze of roots I can see it works in financial terms as well as agronomic.
    But they do have a subsidy payment system that covers winter cover crops.

WillScale

I dunno though Jim. For sure certain legumes can be a bit dear but there are plenty of crops we can use from the bin for cover. another thing I've been thinking is that if we were able to purchase second quality seed that would help. seeing as its not used for production that would help. I reckon there may be a gap in the market for selling cheap non certified cover crop mixes but not sure that its legal the way I would do it?

Pedders

sorry for off topic of DD pics but the long term aim here is to use livestock (others initially but eventually our own) to offset the cost of the cover crop establishment .... the vetch seed was another 20.00 an acre that I wasnt sure I would be able to recoup hence leaving it out
    we're also in varous HLS scheme options which helps subsidise some of these crops

Col

Optic S. Barley, drilled 17 days ago, untreated at 450 viable seeds/m2. Had 300L/Ha of Ammonium Sulphate Liquid (10%N,10%S) mixed with 0.5Kg/Ha of Roundup Max and 250Kg/Ha of 16:16:16 pre sowing. Rolled after sowing. Drilled with Claydon.

Col

Gerald Winter Oats, drilled late September at the highest rate the Claydon could give us (then), IIRC it was about 350 seeds/m2. Lexus Class and Hallmark Zeon post-em. 3kg/Ha MnSO4 mid March, 300L/Ha of 10N,10S about the same time, N taken up to 120Kg/Ha with AN 6 days ago.
    In one pic you can see small AMG, I hope that is going to be shaded by the Oats but time will tell. The straw was removed from this field and the previous crop was S. Barley.