Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: direct drilling photo gallery?

doorknob

Re: direct drilling photo gallary?

Quote Originally Posted by s.chiles View Post
    You should have kept the vetch, ideally suited to dd as it doesn't need to throw it's cotyledons above the ground to germinate. Attached is a field of dd'ed vetch grown with mustard for seed production.Not too easy to combine though as each plant grows 2 meters long.
    Direct cutting vetch? WoW!!, unheard of "here". Did you desicate it, or does it dry to that point naturally in your area? "Here" we swathe the vetch a few days prior to combining. But then we also swathe our grass for seed so........ That is very interesting as I've never in my life saw vetch being direct cut with the combine. Thanks.

What is your average yeild? Was the mustard planted for a trellising effect or is it any specific ratio to the vetch?

s.chiles

Doorknob,
    That's right I use the mustard to hold the vetch up, unsuccessfully as yet. This year I have halved the vetch seeds and doubled the mustard. Vetch doesn't stop growing here either so we have to dessicate it. Not only does it produce some useful fertiliser but I find it smothers out most weeds as well, so quite a useful break crop. I try to grow cover crops that I'm also getting paid for.
    Regards, Simon.
    PS Another problem I have is that the worm casts and vetch seeds are about the same size and density. The combine can have half a tank of vetch and the other half worm casts. I suppose it means I've got my DD'ing right. Seed has to be cleaned by an X-Ray scanner that blows the individual worm casts out (expensive).

Top Cat

Some Claydon crops
    DD canadian spring wheat sown 16/03
    OSR sown August 2008
    Min tilled oxbridge barley sown 21/03 @160 kg/Ha
    Fuego beans sown 9/03 @ 200 kg/Ha
    DD westminster barley sown 25/03 - the yellow wheelings are from a slurry tanker last autumn.
    Overall quite happy - especially considering the mess the farm was in in september.

Top Cat

A couple of winter wheat ones. The better one is Cordiale after OSR - had a horsch FX through to fill in ruts and kill slugs. The other is DD viscount end of october after beans - was not sure whether to use roundup or CMPP a month ago - but it looks like I will get the seed back now.

frlabeur

hello claydon users...

http://picasaweb.google.fr/frlabeur/...ydonFinMars09#

Some photos of wheat, rapeseed and barley seeded with claydon drill from France.

Col

Alchemy after vining peas
    Oakley after spuds
    Maplus on the Headland
    Maplus in foreground, Marcant behind

Cow1

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Oakley after spuds
    Maplus on the Headland
    Very good pics. Jeff should pay you for PR!

WillScale

I do notice more groundsel in DD. Its not a particular problem but it likes the conditions.

good pics. Can we have some of slug ridden wheat after chopped oat straw or something just to make some of us feel better?

Col

Quote Originally Posted by WillScale View Post
    I do notice more groundsel in DD. Its not a particular problem but it likes the conditions.

good pics. Can we have some of slug ridden wheat after chopped oat straw or something just to make some of us feel better?
    With pleasure, I'm just lucky that the best fields on the place are next to the house and I was having a bit of a poach about tonight. There is a field of oats that has 5 acres missing from frost heave, didn't roll it in time. And 2 acres of wheat missing from another field, funnily enough the bit after long term game crop has no damage, the area that had rape on it is ok'ish but the bit where the rape had been eaten last year has 0/nil/nada/zero wheat on it, all grazed off. BUT the osr was a second rape crop, don't look at me like that I wasn't here then
    The Alchemy is half a field and the other half was after OSR but we ploughed it as there were hellish tracks after harvest. That part had terrible Mn defcn. so we sprayed it and rolled it but there are still parts that are horrible, I suspect it needs a good dose lime
    Most of the rest of the crops are not top bad, the Oakley actually took ages to come through as it was drilled a bit too deep, easy to do with the Claydon Most of the oats are OK, some of the rape was eaten by rabbits and the rape that is not in the pictures was sown a few days later and it seems to have made a huge difference in the crop, we're only talking from the end of August to the beginning of September so not a huge diff though.
    All in all I'm quite chuffed with the way it's gone for the first year but onwards and upwards from here and we have another 600 acres to do this autumn and on heavier land as well, anything for a challenge
    The groundsel just looks bad until you get some Harmony on it and the crop gets above it, I've also used Starane but the SU seems to make the biggest diff, I needed it anyway for some other stuff in that field. It's a weakness of Stomp seemingly.

giubraz1

Oakley after spuds
    Maplus on the Headland
    Good on you Col, that's why this Forum is all about Pictures, and what a crop!!

static_discharge

The groundsel just looks bad until you get some Harmony on it and the crop gets above it, I've also used Starane but the SU seems to make the biggest diff, I needed it anyway for some other stuff in that field. It's a weakness of Stomp seemingly.
    Always worse in fields where Crystal / Stomp used. Now we are down to one autumn herbicide, I have resorted to earlier field walking, and am pulling it out. Or was until it started raining. Noticably worse in bits of field that were in maize for game cover - tardy gamekeeper?

slejpner

Good job Col. Looks super.
    But you are a mickey mouse groundsel farmer compared with some of my efforts in Bedfordshire. Still now its dead its all good worm food, and may have even helped surface soil structure.

doorknob

Awesome pictures Col. I wish our crops and scenery was that beautiful. I see your crop inspector likes the camera as well as mine does.

Col

Here are a couple of failures
    Alchemy on slightly heavier ground, drilled a bit wetter and then rolled after (a mistake I think), had 3 doses of pellets in the backend, trouble is it's a 110acre field albeit with 20 acres of barley in the middle where we were doing drainage work.
    The Oats are Dalguise, sown a week after the ones in an earlier post, after baled barley straw but the field had been in SAS from its earliest days, light gravelly soil. It had frost heave but a lot of the damage seems to have been done by beetle grubs, possibly wheat shoot beetle, I am awaiting an ID.

kpa

2 fields Quench Spring barley drilled with Claydon Vee drill after failed Winter wheat on ground better suited to growing oak trees
    30 days after drilling immediately before ring rolling.
    10 days later.

giubraz1

Quote Originally Posted by kpa View Post
    2 fields Quench Spring barley drilled with Claydon Vee drill after failed Winter wheat on ground better suited to growing oak trees
    10 days later.
    Hi Kpa nice crop picture,
    I have few questions:.
    Are these field direct drilled? I couldn't see any trash.
    How many kg of seed per ha? what is the sapcing between rows?

cheers mate

NZBob

10 days later.
    I've never rolled cereals after emergence before. Doesn't seem to do them any harm. The improvement in the second paddock is quite dramatic. I suppose the rolling releases a bit of N, does it have any other effects on the plant.

With all that soil movement the C drill looks quite good for one pass spring cereals, not so sure about the wide row spacing though.

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by NZBob View Post
    I've never rolled cereals after emergence before. Doesn't seem to do them any harm. The improvement in the second paddock is quite dramatic. I suppose the rolling releases a bit of N, does it have any other effects on the plant....
    Due to the plant being in a hollow there was a nice tilth for the seed to soil contact when sown, it was then far too wet to ring roll.

...With all that soil movement the C drill looks quite good for one pass spring cereals, not so sure about the wide row spacing though.
    Don't forget that the seed is sown in a 5" or 7" band

honest john

10 days later.
    Looks like nice crops.
    What happened to the wheat??was it sprayed off?? was it DD after what crop??
    THANKS.
    JOHN.

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by honest john View Post
    Looks like nice crops.
    What happened to the wheat??was it sprayed off?? was it DD after what crop??
    THANKS.
    JOHN.
    John
    The DD wheat after peas succumbed to every setback, slugs, rabbits coldest winter for twelve years etc. for some reason looked as though it would never come to anything so sprayed off:cry:.

Interesting the tissue test results have come in today for the barley and all are good except magnesium which is deficient.

SimonC

John
    The DD wheat after peas succumbed to every setback, slugs, rabbits coldest winter for twelve years etc. for some reason looked as though it would never come to anything so sprayed off:cry:.

Interesting the tissue test results have come in today for the barley and all are good except magnesium which is deficient.
    Keith
    All my tissue tests this spring are showing very low magnesium with everything else OK, and that's on very high mag soils (25%CEC). Not sure why, but for some reason it's not available to the plants this year

kpa

Quote Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
    Keith
    All my tissue tests this spring are showing very low magnesium with everything else OK, and that's on very high mag soils (25%CEC). Not sure why, but for some reason it's not available to the plants this year
    Simon
    We've put 10kgs Bittersalz everywhere else and they've now moved into the OK range. Although the plants are looking good ATM, barley will get it soon, now we've confirmed the need and there's a bigger target.

giubraz1

Direct Drill, using a Disc Drill Seeder NO TILL SYSTEM or ZERO TILL ( NO DISTURBANCE OF THE SOIL -NO TILTH)

These pics are from wheat after wheat and wheat after pasture, the property belongs to one of my customers that I oversee direct drill system.

Jim_Bullock

Nice pics Giubraz...can't see any mud or water in any of your photo's.. If I had conditions like yours then true No-Till would probably work for me... I have invited one of the European reps from Semeato over to the UK so they can see the sort of soils and conditions we have to deal with...

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by SimonC View Post
    Keith
    Its the same with me simon and keith.
    Copper zinc man all the others ok.
    5 kg bitter salt at GS 35
    5kg more at GS 39
    another 5kg GS 59
    Forgot to put it in at GS 32
    Plumbos mix as well which has some mag in it.
    19MM rain now helped no end.
    Best wishes JOHN.

giubraz1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Bullock View Post
    Nice pics Giubraz...can't see any mud or water in any of your photo's.. If I had conditions like yours then true No-Till would probably work for me... I have invited one of the European reps from Semeato over to the UK so they can see the sort of soils and conditions we have to deal with...
    Yeahh, the wet and cold condition in UK is a challange, I have been following your discussions regarding slags, and all of that. I understand. In fact we in the Southern Hemisfere or even in the USA, we try to evoid evaporation and preserve moisture in the soil.

Apparently that's exactly what you guys need to get rid of ( moisture), because of slags and damp soil condition, and all the troubles generated by them.

Maybe a system that envolves a disc coulter following right behind a narrow point would be a suggestion for your soils and if you prefere place a press wheel right behind to make sure soil contact will happen. like this in the photo...
    cheers mate and congratulations for all of your endevour to try and encourage conservation soils.

York

Quote Originally Posted by giubraz1 View Post
    Direct Drill, using a Disc Drill Seeder NO TILL SYSTEM or ZERO TILL ( NO DISTURBANCE OF THE SOIL -NO TILTH)

These pics are from wheat after wheat and wheat after pasture, the property belongs to one of my customers that I oversee direct drill system.
    could you just givee a little back ground info about drilling conditions and previous crop yield and status of straw?
    Looking at the first picture it just looks "untidy" for the eyes of a average European farmer and even more for a land owner, we have a high rental percentage of well over 50%, it looks just untidy.
    For me personaly it looks very nice and I prefer the last picture. :-) Will be interesting to see the yield outcome, gues the last, if conditions and potential between the fields are just a little equal, will outperform the other.
    I will ask permission of the owner of some fields that I can share pictures. Did some rely rough drilling this spring.

York-Th.

WillScale

We do have a problem with slags in the UK but thats mainly in the centre of town on a saturday night.

some of the rows of wheat on the right hand side in that first pick look a bit slow. The disc tine thing in your pic is not unlike the design of the aitchison - which you don't like?

NZBob

More like a cross slot I thought.

giubraz1

More like a cross slot I thought.
    Cross Slot??
    I respect that machine, yes it is a No-Till Drill Machine and does a respectable job.

Aitchinson?? you are joking Will. I don't know what would do more damage to your crop&Soil : the SLAGS or AITCHINSON Tine Drill.

By the way Will, show me your pictures of No-Till, I would like to make some comments.

cheers mate;