Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Direct Drilling and Fuel Consumption..

lordbonville

Re: Direct Drilling and Fuel Consumption..

What Archimedes said

The ruminant

Quote Originally Posted by lordbonville View Post
    What Archimedes said
    "Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

Archimedes (and Graham too?)

lordbonville

I just meant "Eureka"

The ruminant

I just meant "Eureka"
    I know

graham edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't think they are. What Lordbonville is saying is that when the road regs change and we see 30,000kg legal limit then a 130hp tractor is not big enough and you need at least 200hp if not 250hp to maintain a forward speed on the not so flat road found all over the UK.

With junctions and traffic lights its start stop, start stop and to get going again you need power.
    & what I am saying is that the new regulations are not in and are NOT expected SOON,nor do we know what they will say.
    My opinion is that a 175-200HP farm tractor ought to be weighing around 5-6 tonnes and used with as light a trailer as possible......in order that UK farmers can be legal.
    I am not finding this view to be understood ,let alone actioned ......but you guys out there Know better,it seems????. G

graham edwards

I give in.

Your arrogance is evident as you miss every point I make with your polarised and mistaken view that C.Ag and DD are the only factors relevant to the future of UK Ag; and that your fictional machine will be the only way forward.

You mistakenly believe that farmers direct drill in the autumn or haul things and that nothing else ever gets done on a farm using a tractor.

Your one dimensional approach to designing a new tractor will leave the next generation of trantors similar flop to the last.

Your desire to twist every point that another poster makes into a cause for DD is misguided to say the least. For that reason...

I AM OUT!
    & have given in.g

graham edwards

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't think they are. What Lordbonville is saying is that when the road regs change and we see 30,000kg legal limit then a 130hp tractor is not big enough and you need at least 200hp if not 250hp to maintain a forward speed on the not so flat road found all over the UK.

With junctions and traffic lights its start stop, start stop and to get going again you need power.
    It was Colin Chapman,some time ago that recognised the importance of the power to weight ratio to getting up speed in the racing-car world.
    Power to weight ratios are important to those farmers who wish to travel fast with their tractor-trailer combinations and be legal.
    The 200hp points of posters may well be correct for the tractors that NOW exist but to ignore the weight is to be very foolish indeed.
    It is NOT ONLY the load that is carried on the outward journey but also the fuel-used on the empty journey that matters.
    The trailer is best if lightest,the tractor needs to be lighter not ONLY to be legal but ALSO because fuel-costs are growing rapidly as part of the total costs of farming.
    This is not rocket science just realism.Graham

anpoterrier

Quote Originally Posted by graham edwards View Post
    & what I am saying is that the new regulations are not in and are NOT expected SOON,nor do we know what they will say.
    My opinion is that a 175-200HP farm tractor ought to be weighing around 5-6 tonnes and used with as light a trailer as possible......in order that UK farmers can be legal.
    I am not finding this view to be understood ,let alone actioned ......but you guys out there Know better,it seems????. G
    valtra t203 6400kg 204hp lighter without vario gearbox thank you

Clive

Weight also = strength

something that's rather important for a tractor

knockie

A light weight haulage tractor would only be of use if you could transfer some of the trailers weight to the correct position on the tractor not the drawbar like this lad! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz68W...eature=related
    Hope the new Trantor has side brakes!!
    I'm a believer in useing trucks for farm haulage keeping the tractors in the field.
    Ta.
    SD.

REB1952

Is this the like what Graham is thinking of? Easy to adjust the water ballast to suit application, capable of high speed (full suspension and brakes) and a 5th wheel so you could get some proper weight transfer so it can handle serious loads. It might not be as ridiculous as it looks