Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: Digging a large pond

  1. #1
    MrNoo
    Guest

    Digging a large pond

    Not sure if this is the correct place for it but! I have been asked if I would consider digging out a large pond for carp fishing, the guy involved is sound (he rents one of our sheds on the farm and produces carp bait) so I am just asking if anyone has done this? What planning (if any?) any grants available for such a scheme? I have a field that would be suitable, it lies wet is full of blackgrass and you can`t get near it in winter. Size wise he was asking for an acre or two.
    The pond would then be rented by a small syndicate of 10, rent to be paid quarterly, with an added bonus of a bit of duck flighting for me!

  2. #2
    Agri Design
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Hi MrNoo

    Planning permission would be required for this sort of project.

    David

  3. #3
    tree mover
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    I read a book written by an artist that bought an old quarry- and made lakes where it was deep and lacking soil- and planted trees where there was sufficent soil.

    The simple things I took from the book was- to create a pond- it doesnt have to be deep. It help if it has deep parts- but it doesnt have to be bottomless! Second. instead of having to cart stuff, you can create islands, and with clever design- you can still get long sections of water- even with a couple of islands.

    As far as regulations etc are concerned- I have no idea. But I did hear at numerous conferences that the waterway people- and EPA have said that our biggest problems today- is a lack of sufficient areas to take water after heavy rainfall- as at present- rivers and other watercourses are overloaded. Therefore an introduction of additional water resources would be extremely beneficial. So - once they pay out enough in compensation- they will realise that paying for ponds, lakes etc would be cost effective and beneficial.

  4. #4
    Scotty25
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Strip the topsoil off the entire site before you begin. Then you can spread the spoil over the entire area and then re-topsoil. If your a good machine driver you wouldnt even know you had bin there. Apart from the lake that is

  5. #5
    Steve_Collett
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    If you dig a lake for iether agricultural purposes or your own pleasure no planning is required.
    If you dig a commercial fishing pit it does need permission but who is to know if it is done on a freindly basis
    Landscape it nicely and put at least one island plant a few trees and everyone will claim you to be an enviromental hero just dont mention carp
    You do not need big ones as they grow very rapidly but beware of cormorants they cna clean it out very quickly

  6. #6
    applesquasher
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    As said above re permission.
    You won't get permission if it is on a flood plain, the EA website has maps of where is deemed to be a flood plain.

  7. #7
    Mayo
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Best to contact the EA, a good lake will be best if designed properly. No point in having a lake in a flood plain since the fish will all be washed away!

    Keep the water deep, and if you have an island, your ducks will be safer from Charlie Fox.

    Agree with taking the top soil off first, then use it to landscape the remaining area.

    Can take years to get a lake to 'naturalise' might be worth planting/suppling a few starter species to get the process kick started.

  8. #8
    MrNoo
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Thanks all, all coments noted! It`s not on a flood plain so should be fine and he has his own carp so looks like I best get the 360 out come summer time and dig a big ole for him!

  9. #9
    duckboy
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNoo View Post
    Thanks all, all coments noted! It`s not on a flood plain so should be fine and he has his own carp so looks like I best get the 360 out come summer time and dig a big ole for him!
    is that for cotswold baits?

  10. #10
    MrNoo
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    No Duckboy, it`s for this chap http://www.baitworks.co.uk/

  11. #11
    Boff
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    I am just mid stage through the "pond process" and it is a blo*dy nightmare. The environment agency won't let me divert a stream about 20 metres off course and they hate course fishing (carp) because they say it pollutes the watercourse. The council archealogical people don't like the idea of shifting a hedgebank that will otherwise be in the middle of the pond, and the planning authority well I am not even going to start on about those b*****ds.
    But I must say I am winning on all fronts but very slowly because I have employed an expert ( at great expense:cry.
    My best advice is to dig the pond and argue later whats done is done especially if it is not too big and out of view. But if you want to do it legally then get someone who knows their stuff. Pm me if you want a contact
    Boff

  12. #12
    MR G
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by Boff View Post
    I am just mid stage through the "pond process" and it is a blo*dy nightmare. The environment agency won't let me divert a stream about 20 metres off course and they hate course fishing (carp) because they say it pollutes the watercourse. The council archealogical people don't like the idea of shifting a hedgebank that will otherwise be in the middle of the pond, and the planning authority well I am not even going to start on about those b*****ds.
    But I must say I am winning on all fronts but very slowly because I have employed an expert ( at great expense:cry.
    My best advice is to dig the pond and argue later whats done is done especially if it is not too big and out of view. But if you want to do it legally then get someone who knows their stuff. Pm me if you want a contact
    Boff
    will u post some pics?

  13. #13
    Boff
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    I will when I get all my consents through and the diggers roll!
    Boff

  14. #14
    MR G
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by Boff View Post
    I will when I get all my consents through and the diggers roll!
    Boff
    looking forward to it

  15. #15
    applesquasher
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    I dug a pond a few years back without applying for anything.
    Nobody has said owt about it.

    The first year the water turned a bit green, as you would expect.
    Then followed a couple more years of more blanket weed you can imagine. I foolishly thought that pulling it out would help. It grew quicker than I could shift it, and so gave up after hauling tons of it.
    I did the putting barley straw into it trick, which isn't a miracle cure, but it was certainly worth doing.
    I then introduced some pond weeds, which thrived. This was in the hope they would use up the nutrients needed by the blanket weed. The blanket weed disappeared, mostly smothered by the pondweed which now swamped the pond instead.
    I put some lillies in too, which were slow to get going, but eventually thrived also.
    I then introduced some grass carp in an attempt to control all these weeds. These were about 2-3". The pond weed, blanket weed and the lillies are all gone now, and the grass carp are approx 3-3.5lbs.

    In amongst all that lot some roach went in there. They bred like summat not right, there are millions of them now. As an experiment I threw in a sliced Tesco loaf and timed how long it lasted. 12 minutes before it had all been eaten! They are like pirahnas.

    The pond was populated by wildlife from the very moment it was filled. Greater diving beetles being my favourite. They are enormous (about the size of a 2p piece). Sticklebacks were there straight away, and multiplied rapidly.
    At one point the water was crystal clear and filled with vast clouds of water fleas.
    Sadly the water is pretty muddy looking now, due to the fish activity in there, but the fish seem happy enough.
    The pond is a real magnet for wildlife, I even had geese on there a week ago which was a first. A kingfisher is often there. I have only seen a few in my time, so to have one move in was a real treat. Frogs love the place, etc.

    It is about 50yds x 20 yds in size, all done completely illegally so don't tell anyone. I'm not bothered if anyone finds out about the pond, but I'm fearful they might find out about the newts that live there.

  16. #16
    Bog Man
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    We have an old disused sandpit and I made a pond in it a few years ago. There is an Island in it and I got some flaggers out of a stream. I also dropped a sally tree at the edge and it has become a roosting tree for small birds .It gives me great pleasure when I am walking down to work in the morning to hear birds singing in the tree .It is full of frogs in February. we lost count after sixty . As a result of the frogs antics in February it is now full of tadpoles .A heron also gives the pond a visit. It dries out in a dry summer but comes to life again in winter .Its about 80 foot across and about 2foot deep.

  17. #17
    Steve_Collett
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    I would strongly recommend not asking for any permission as it will get you tied up in red tape there will be need for surveys which can cost thousands but if you need to divert a stream you may have to get permission just do notr mention carp or fishing
    It is a complete illusion that lakes and ponds are any use at all for holding water during heavy rain fall if the lake has an outlet which most lakes have to have for obvious reasons any rain will go straight into the overflow if you have good well drained land, rain falling on that will be held like a sponge and run out slowly the whole argument about extra lakes and bogland is an urban myth

  18. #18
    Boff
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    An interesting article from the CLA mag spring 2009 on pond creation and all the problems you can incur. I hope it isn't copyrighted!
    Boff

  19. #19
    JCB 2170
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    A pond I have been involved with, has been delayed for 3 years due to planning pemission. If the archeologists get involved, you will find it can take a long time and cost a lot of money.. and thats before you even start digging the pond out.

  20. #20
    yeldarb
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    My neighbours dug a 1 acre pond and filled it with carp and then sat back and waited for the punters to roll in hasnt happened Im afraid . As already mentioned by Steve, Cormerants, although we are 70 miles from the coast, they can clean out your fish in the blink of an eye.

  21. #21
    duckboy
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by yeldarb View Post
    My neighbours dug a 1 acre pond and filled it with carp and then sat back and waited for the punters to roll in hasnt happened Im afraid . As already mentioned by Steve, Cormerants, although we are 70 miles from the coast, they can clean out your fish in the blink of an eye.
    this happens all to often. you need to decide what you target market is and develop the fishery specificly for them. you cannot create a fishery that will apeal to all fishermen, so dont try, pick your market and please them. there are way to many 'puddles' or 'holes in the groud' fisherys like the one described out there.

    remember you need to create an ambience around your fishery, get someone invloved in the designing of your fishery who understands your target market.

    think carefully and long term when developing your fishery, remember 'less is more' when it comes to pegging.

    marketing is the most important but least thougt about aspect of farm diversification, and frankly we farmers are very poor at it. get advice!

  22. #22
    WillB
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by duckboy View Post
    this happens all to often. you need to decide what you target market is and develop the fishery specificly for them. you cannot create a fishery that will apeal to all fishermen, so dont try, pick your market and please them. there are way to many 'puddles' or 'holes in the groud' fisherys like the one described out there.

    remember you need to create an ambience around your fishery, get someone invloved in the designing of your fishery who understands your target market.

    think carefully and long term when developing your fishery, remember 'less is more' when it comes to pegging.

    marketing is the most important but least thougt about aspect of farm diversification, and frankly we farmers are very poor at it. get advice!
    I manage a lot of fishing lakes in my day job. Former gravel pits mainly.

    Best way is to let it to get an angling society to pay a licence fee on a season by season basis. Range from 3k up to 10k.

  23. #23
    Steve_Collett
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    When I put in a reservoir in South Norfolk we were overwhelmed with people wanting to fish it and some were talking a lot of money especially when they heard that the small carp we had put in had got to 27 pounds that was after about 6 years

  24. #24
    applesquasher
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    I had some lovely big carp in my pond, I'm damned sure the east european students I have in the summer are eating them!

  25. #25
    herd333
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    How big a flow of water do you need to keep a pond fit for fish?Surface area 1 acre,depth ave 2ft.

  26. #26
    Steve_Collett
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    you dont need a water flow for most fish it is just a matter of stocking density and Oxygen requirements of the fish. If the pond is only 2 feet deep you will run a severe risk in the summer of de oxygenation as the water will get very warm it will also suffer very sverely from heron and cormorants

  27. #27
    herd333
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Collett View Post
    you dont need a water flow for most fish it is just a matter of stocking density and Oxygen requirements of the fish. If the pond is only 2 feet deep you will run a severe risk in the summer of de oxygenation as the water will get very warm it will also suffer very sverely from heron and cormorants
    Would 4 feet deep make a big difference?

  28. #28
    duckboy
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by herd333 View Post
    Would 4 feet deep make a big difference?
    about twice as much!

    depths ranging between 4-6 feet would be ideal.

  29. #29
    crofter
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Quote Originally Posted by herd333 View Post
    Would 4 feet deep make a big difference?
    No. Cormorants can dive tens of metres deep. Lower stocking density will make more difference than deeper water - the birds might not notice them!

  30. #30
    Northernstar
    Guest

    Re: Digging a large pond

    Again it depends on whether or not you are interferring with an natural water course, if you are not, then presumably you'll be digging a large hole in the ground, you would need planning permission, if you intend to remove the soil off your farm, you need a building warrant,

    Depending on your location, best advice from the New Forestry, who do this sort of thing all the time.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •