Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digging a large pond

chillaton

Re: Digging a large pond

I recollect that any pond over 500m gals?? needs an engineers cert.
    reasons are obvious.
    also, not only remove top soil but dig a deep trench around to cut any unknown land drains which may drain your water.

nick

over last 20 years we have dug about 12 ponds/lakes on our farm right beside the local stream.never had planning.area has been lanscaped and stocked with fiss.cormorants are a problem and otters as well,also mink.tried to let a pond a few weeks ago and when told about stream the man said it would encourage otters and he did not want it.the area concerned now needs some serious management and alot of trees and bushes will be removed this winter time as its all getting very overgrown
    nick..............

Steve_Collett

Quote Originally Posted by chillaton View Post
    I recollect that any pond over 500m gals?? needs an engineers cert.
    reasons are obvious.
    also, not only remove top soil but dig a deep trench around to cut any unknown land drains which may drain your water.
    crumbs that is a fair pond at 20 feet deep it would cover about 100 acres!
    the figure is I think 8 million gallons if it is embanked

Mayo

If you get Cormorants shoot them. Bloody things.

Deeper the better, makes the lake/pond more resistant to weed and temperature changes.

Be very careful to keep all farming operations away- nitrates in ponds are bad news.

And don't go spraying near the bloody thing either.

A good whiff of a flyspray would wipe out your fish!

Forage Trader

can anyone confirm that planning is needed for agricultal use

Big Vern

Forage,
    if you are looking to dig an irrigation lake, dirty water settlement type lake then you will need planning, we did

lamplighter2

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoo View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct place for it but! I have been asked if I would consider digging out a large pond for carp fishing, the guy involved is sound (he rents one of our sheds on the farm and produces carp bait) so I am just asking if anyone has done this? What planning (if any?) any grants available for such a scheme? I have a field that would be suitable, it lies wet is full of blackgrass and you can`t get near it in winter. Size wise he was asking for an acre or two.
    The pond would then be rented by a small syndicate of 10, rent to be paid quarterly, with an added bonus of a bit of duck flighting for me!
    your best bet get hold of Sparsholt college. ask for the aquaculture department. do loads of stuff like this even have there own pond which they dug and now fish by students. see you are in cotswolds. take a day out 19th of may have there countryside open day you will be able to ask then. good day out. 15 miles from salisbury. 5 from Winchester

lamplighter2

Quote Originally Posted by MrNoo View Post
    Thanks all, all coments noted! It`s not on a flood plain so should be fine and he has his own carp so looks like I best get the 360 out come summer time and dig a big ole for him!
    in my other post get some advice from sparsholt. eg carp you need a licence to transfer carp due to a virus which came in from the continent. gets on the line nets the lot. last thing you want is it being traced back to a lake you have