Thread: IH 374/434 Hitch Linkage

speedyeddy

IH 374/434 Hitch Linkage

I have been trying to source for a while now the automatic hitch linkage for a bradford build international.

I have managed to source the hook part of the hitch now need the upper part which is like a tripod assembly and features the locking hooks.

I have a parts drawing of it, but have never actually seen one.

Apparently it's nicknamed the bicycle frame!

Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance.

go diego go

Re: IH 374/434 Hitch Linkage

i actually have one brand new but not for sale but have seen them for sale on flea bay before.

speedyeddy

That's a pity!

Have you bought it recently?

go diego go

picked it up years ago for the b414 when we used to still pit silage but never ever put it on but i am keeping it with a view to restoreing the 414.

speedyeddy

Ah well, please let me know if you want to turn it into cash!!

joe soapy

used one for years, cant locate it now, anyway, was easier to use linkage arms instead, remove drop bars, put link arms in there place and connect to puh pins, hydralics are perfectly capable of carring the load, have got a scrap 434 here with 24-1 loader and power steering just waiting for a reasonable offer

applesquasher

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    used one for years, cant locate it now, anyway, was easier to use linkage arms instead, remove drop bars, put link arms in there place and connect to puh pins
    That is all we have ever done for the last 30+ years, and still do. I didn't even know there was a different method.

speedyeddy

So you just hold the weight on the arms?

No lock up?

applesquasher

Lift the trailer, shut the tap just under the front of the seat, put the lift lever "down" so the hydraulics are not pumping against the relief valve.
    As I say, we have had the 434 from new in the mid 70's (guessing) and have only ever done it like that. Still do.
    The tractor has done its fair share of trailer work too. It will have been on grain bins at some point in the distant past.
    We have got a drawbar for it, but that was rarely used as the trailers are the "doughnut" type hitch. (if that's what they are called).

The lift arms have an unused hole in them. It is built up a bit with some tube or summat (from factory). Take the arms off at the tractor end, usually spin them around so the tube is in the right place, then the tube slides over the ends of the hitch. Held on by a linch pin.
    That sounds a lot more complicated than it is, but I guess if you have got one you will see what I mean. Can take pics if you like.

speedyeddy

I see, I'm fairly sure my shut off valve leaks on both of my tractors!! Might pay to renew the seals!

I'll have a play this weekend and see how I get on!

The linkage I was after would save you having to remove the lift rods and a provide a locking device!

Many thanks for your help though

Edd

cyrush

See Att;s early and later Bradford built tractor pick up hitch assy's

The one you need is the later type.

speedyeddy

Yep that's what I need, I did get a drawing of it from a local IH dealer!

Am still looking!

Many thanks

Edd

Pryderi

Anybody got a photo or dimensions of the lift rod used on the older versions (250 and 275) as I think I've found one today!!! It's just flat bar with swivel ball ends each end and a hole mid way ish. It's also got a bracket for storing a linch pin.

Few years ago now I remember the tripod frame with the hooks going to the scrap bin at where I worked then because nobody knew what it was off!!! If only I knew!!!!

Red Fred

We've got the lift arms from the various B models we had but they are just flat bars with a hole for the pick up hook pin, and an offset tube for the top end. They don't have ball swivels.They are just like the ones in the older set up pictured. If I can find one tomorrow, I'll take a pic as it would be easy to make.
    There are a couple of pyramid frameworks in the yard too as in the other pic but I thought these were designed for the normal lift arms.
    In use we tended to just use the flat bars and lock up the hydraulics with the on/off tap. I don't think we ever used the proper safety frames, and these have been sitting under the diesel tank since they were new.

Pryderi

So this must be something else then!!! It's definately got. Som IH red paint on it and is 33 inches hole centre in length!!!

Must be some stabilizer bar off an implement or similar then. I have photos on my i-phone bus the laptop has died on me and I dont use photobucket!! Will try and upload them tommorow

Red Fred

Don't know if this will work but I took some pics of the hitch parts. One shows a pick up hitch lift rod from the B250 (I think) while alongside is the autohitch frame from a 434. The autohitch only fits my 434, not the 250, as the 250 does not have the lugs for the hooks to fit over.

cyrush

See my earlier post with photo,s of early and later types of p u hitch,

I think you have lift bars of early type with latching frame of later hitch.!!!!!!