Page 48 of 48 FirstFirst ... 38464748
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1425

Thread: Robot Milking - (All)

Re: Robot Milking - (All)

Quote Originally Posted by yin ewe View Post
    Mueller I think
    He must have emence water pressure or they have cut corners in the wash to do a proper cycle in 15 mins

Re: Robot Milking - (All).

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    We are about to put in another 2 robots & think that we can get away with myself, my son, my wife for the pre-breakfast morning stint and maybe a part time worker so we can get off farm. I would expect that once the milk price picks up, the part time will become full time.
    All land work (bar fertilising) is contracted out and it's likely that even fertilising will go out to a third party.

The real pain is if you get in to a run of continuous alarms and have sleep disturbed especially if the alarm is stupid like a cow not leaving the box and standing there just out of reach of the stinger.
    Had the same problem a while back I got a bit of cable and joined it to the shocker and run it through a bit of plastic pipe above and let it dangle near the front gate never get it now

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Cant wait for this to arrive in the post. Best thing lely have made in along time!

This has to be the biggest step forward in robotic milking in the 7 years since mine was built . Flies have been playing hell with the cows for the last couple of weeks and not one single alarm , no more coming home to untangle cups , put pipes back on or fix a split pipe , fantastic , well done Lely.
    Also the update for the twin tubes in the arm is now back released and so looking forward to getting that although with the new guards, changing twin tubes will become a very rare and probably planned procedure , not something you struggle doing at two in the morning due to flies causing a cow to rip one in half as has been the case pre these gaurds .
    Just need manual attach now please Lely

Yep, get manual attach sorted on Lely and the VMS may well be confined to the scrap heap!

Quote Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
    Yep, get manual attach sorted on Lely and the VMS may well be confined to the scrap heap!
    spent the last couple of days looking at robots up and down the country and the lely defiantly could benift from manual attach

Quote Originally Posted by hell4leather View Post
    spent the last couple of days looking at robots up and down the country and the lely defiantly could benift from manual attach
    No they wouldn't. All you are doing is trying to replicate a parlour routine whereas the whole point of VMS is that the machine does that for you. It is bloody frustrating at times but once the cow is robot cool and the machine has learnt its udder, it's a piece of piss.

On which point, we started with bots 3 & 4 on Thursday and with Lely's new Jersey box and Jersey mods, I must say the new camera position works much better than our mods on bots 1 & 2 with attachment now virtually flawless in terms of speed and sucking on. Had 24 hours of hassle though whilst the cows "failed" until the computer worked itself out .. now it's the other machines alarming because the pressure is off them and there are not enough cows going through (we were at 5% free time earlier this week now 24%).

No they wouldn't. All you are doing is trying to replicate a parlour routine whereas the whole point of VMS is that the machine does that for you. It is bloody frustrating at times but once the cow is robot cool and the machine has learnt its udder, it's a piece of piss.

As you rightly say it's frustrating , but however frustrating it is for you it is twice as much for the cow hence they get fidgety meaning it takes the robot longer to learn the udder on some heifers and thus replicates a parlour routine, we all know it's the attaching that upsets heifers once connected they normally calm down, similarly with a cow with a damaged teat or soreness from mastitis . As you rightly say once it knows teat position it connects no problem and that's fine 95% of the time but how much better if you could just guide the cups on to those 5% of cows and thus speed up the learning process for machine and beast alike . How much more relaxed would I be on holiday knowing that no matter who calves while I'm away the relief worker can get them milked come what will , rather than Him getting twice as frustrated as you yourself admit to getting because he doesn't have the day in day out experience needing to help the robot learn difficult udders .
    Not having manual attach doesn't help lely get a single extra customer however not having it has cost them thousands of sales , if you don't want to use manual you don't have to so there is no harm in fitting it . I wonder how many owners of the other brands that do have manual attach and teach don't actually use it for fear of replicating a parlour routine ? 1%? , 0.1% ?, 0.001%? I bet infact every last one of them use it at some point helping to improve welfare when they do

Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    As you rightly say it's frustrating , but however frustrating it is for you it is twice as much for the cow hence they get fidgety meaning it takes the robot longer to learn the udder on some heifers and thus replicates a parlour routine, we all know it's the attaching that upsets heifers once connected they normally calm down, similarly with a cow with a damaged teat or soreness from mastitis . As you rightly say once it knows teat position it connects no problem and that's fine 95% of the time but how much better if you could just guide the cups on to those 5% of cows and thus speed up the learning process for machine and beast alike . How much more relaxed would I be on holiday knowing that no matter who calves while I'm away the relief worker can get them milked come what will , rather than Him getting twice as frustrated as you yourself admit to getting because he doesn't have the day in day out experience needing to help the robot learn difficult udders .
    Not having manual attach doesn't help lely get a single extra customer however not having it has cost them thousands of sales , if you don't want to use manual you don't have to so there is no harm in fitting it . I wonder how many owners of the other brands that do have manual attach and teach don't actually use it for fear of replicating a parlour routine ? 1%? , 0.1% ?, 0.001%? I bet infact every last one of them use it at some point helping to improve welfare when they do
    Think we'll have to agree to disagree.

The last thing I would want to do is have my hand/arm caught in the frame of the box or against the arm with a kicking animal. We do grab and guide the cups occasionally with a new heifer but currently in course of training another 160 heifers between now & Christmas, I feel manual would expose ourselves to unnecessary risk

Think we'll have to agree to disagree.

The last thing I would want to do is have my hand/arm caught in the frame of the box or against the arm with a kicking animal. We do grab and guide the cups occasionally with a new heifer but currently in course of training another 160 heifers between now & Christmas, I feel manual would expose ourselves to unnecessary risk
    Totally agree with not wanting to get trapped by the arm , the problem is your way our rather everybody's way due to lack of manual attach is the dangerous way , as you say currently you occasionally grab the cups or guide teats , this then puts you in a prone position with the arm moving at will , one slip of a foot by the cow of the weigh bridge on an a3 an the arm flies backwards trapping you , been there, done that, got the t shirt . Even with camera positioning if a heifer moves so does the arm , very dangerous . However all it would take with a proper manual attach , is for you to guide the arm in via the arrows , the arm could then be made to stay still while you attach the cups or only follow the cow for a few inches or what ever they write into the software for safety purposes , then once you are clear and cups attached you okay it on the xlink to follow the cow as per usual , way safer than what we all do currently , or even you could guide the cup right onto the teat from the safety of the xlink which would also help the robot to learn location of out of sight teats due to swollen milk vein or high rear teats . All this would only take a software update and improve the safety and welfare of thousands of cows and farmers worldwide . The 5% of lely farmers who do not wish to have this function can simply choose not to use it or even opt out of the software update if they so choose , however I wouldn't mind every last one of us , yourself included would take the option and use it from time to time , making the robot far more an automatic system than it currently is , my holidays could then be when ever I choose , not when there happens to be no heifers going to calve of difficult udder cows . The whole point of robots is to reduce labour , but without manual attach you almost have to have a 2nd labour unit on farm a lot just to learn all attachment tricks so you can have holiday or sickness leave , in which case you may as well have a milking parlour.

On behalf of my son Andrew I am looking for a contact,he is studying at a French agriculture based college where he has to do a "stage", or work expierience next Spring and his preference would be a farm in the South West of England with robots. He will be 17 years old and has already completed 3 "stages", on French robot farms, 2 with Lely's and 1 DeLaval plus a Lely here at home.

One condition that the college requires is that the farm is involved in direct sales in some form.

Andrew is already an expierienced tractor driver he won the local ploughing match last year and came 4th in the regional final at 15 years old. Needless to say that he is fluent in both French and English, the reason he is not posting this for himself is that he is away on a harvest job until early August.

I hope I am allowed to post on here as it is robot related?

Phil

Just discovered that all of our robots are harbouring MICE and to make it worse, they have chosen the wiring looms as the ideal place to munch away quietly at stolen nuts ... and when they get bored of that, a nice tasty bit of wiring.
    We wondered why the vacuum pressure was reading 128.3 rather than 44!

Now the problem is how to control them and stop them coming back. Have mothballs on order as I am told that camphor is a good deterrent and we have baited with blocks but any other ideas welcome

And for fellow roboteers, it may be an idea to pull the covers off the looms and have a peek.

Just discovered that all of our robots are harbouring MICE and to make it worse, they have chosen the wiring looms as the ideal place to munch away quietly at stolen nuts ... and when they get bored of that, a nice tasty bit of wiring.
    We wondered why the vacuum pressure was reading 128.3 rather than 44!

Now the problem is how to control them and stop them coming back. Have mothballs on order as I am told that camphor is a good deterrent and we have baited with blocks but any other ideas welcome

And for fellow roboteers, it may be an idea to pull the covers off the looms and have a peek.
    HA!

your not the only one this has happened to!

have had many a discussion about warranty repairs and vermin damage over the years!

some people seem to think its the installation engineers responsibility to vermin proof the farm...!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Farmer View Post
    HA!

your not the only one this has happened to!

have had many a discussion about warranty repairs and vermin damage over the years!

some people seem to think its the installation engineers responsibility to vermin proof the farm...!
    Hi Tim

Yes I'm sure there have been many cases hence my post although I'm not sure how dairy regs etc would be with bait blocks scattered in the machines?
    Never really thought about it before but once we found mice in one machine, we found them in all of them! They seem to like nesting/feeding in the horizontal loom but climb the vertical one to access the "roof" of the bots where they can breed in peace.
    Anyway, the mothballs came today so we'll plant them and see what happens and report back.

Cheers, BR

I've had rats nesting in the digger. They used to run out every time I started up. Looked inside & there was straw & litter so I cleaned it out & squirted some diesel around. Don't suppose smell of diesel would do much for the milk though!

I have registered a calving on my A4 to the wrong cow, can anybody tell me how I can cancel the information that I have entered?

thanks in anticipation.

Phil