Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1425

Thread: Robot Milking - (All)

Re: Robot Milking - (All)

As soon as I started feeding half out in morning and half out in afternoon it started working again but on a really wet day the wagon is pouring water out in feed passage because its packed in so tight and that makes junos wheels skid but as long as I feed grass out fast then water doesn't pool so its not too bad

Just had the latest software upgrade (v3.1 or 2?) ...... visibly the arm & attachment is much faster and there is less drop off of the cluster as they are now working as pairs so if there is no milk flow on a quarter for example, only one other cup will de-attach rather than the whole lot. Can also see the robot screen off the main computer but can't make any alterations as yet. Seems excellent progress .. now waiting for the glitches to show

ALL robot users are invited to a meeting on the second day at the NEC to discuss the formation of an Association of Robotic Milkers.... "ARM"

RABDF have funding for assisting the formation of collaboration groups for farmers to get together and work jointly. A free lunch (if you register) is on from 12.30 in Concourse Suite 30 at the NEC (3rd July)

There are several interesting opportunities this group can bring, knowledge sharing and an annual robot conference being a couple of them that appeal

One which is important is that there is a lot of marketing material designed at farmers to show robots milking and how they work which is understandably produced by the manufacturers to impress farmers, but the same marketing if seen and used by campaign groups could be presented to the general public in a negative way - "mechanical robot extracts milk from cows" - what would the public think?

To be one step ahead we as farmers need our own association to represent us if negative publicity is used against farmers with robots

Being able to be part of a simple association will enable this.

To register your interest you can login and register here: http://www.rabdfcollaboration.com/robotic-group

If you are unable to attend / going on the first day BUT want to be involved put in the "notes box" at the bottom of the registration form stating that you are not able to go to the meeting, but you want your details to be registered for becoming members of the association - Lucy will pick that up

It would be great to have a meet up with as many of the forum users at the NEC next week and a free lunch is always welcome!

Looking forward to seeing some of you there
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Will be there thankyou

Unfortunately we wont be there but have taken your advice YF & registered our details for future events. Good luck at the lauch

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Rick View Post
    Just had the latest software upgrade (v3.1 or 2?) ...... visibly the arm & attachment is much faster and there is less drop off of the cluster as they are now working as pairs so if there is no milk flow on a quarter for example, only one other cup will de-attach rather than the whole lot. Can also see the robot screen off the main computer but can't make any alterations as yet. Seems excellent progress .. now waiting for the glitches to show
    Sounds like a good improvement, its always annoying when it pulls the front cups off to reattach one of the rears. Do the pairs work as front and back or left and right? Does it spray teats after a failed attachment? Can never understand why it doesn't.

Have they done away with the infuriating blast of air into the M4Use buckets that happens about a minute after the milk has separated? Just end up with a bucket full of frothy colostrum. Annoying when you are waiting to feed a new calf late at night.

Can you succeed a milking now without succeeding then stopping the milking? When we first started, you could "Succeed" then "Continue" , but after a software update that no longer worked.

It will be handy to view the robot screen, especially when you get an "unknown alarm", would be even better if you could cancel certain alarms, such as "Time out user interaction" or empty M4Use buckets if the attachment had failed and there is only 0.5kg each bucket. We had 1 low uddered cow calve last week, she would only attach in 1 of the robots, but kept going in the other robot and "filling" all the buckets with less than a kilo of milk. Put her on supervised milking for a few days in the end. Another idea would be a tick box to allow the milk from the same cow in the same bucket if it was within a set time or less than a kilo already in the bucket.
    Calving several at the moment and its annoying if the buckets are filled with small amounts and then the milk from another fresh calver goes down the sewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Farmer View Post
    To register your interest you can login and register here: http://www.rabdfcollaboration.com/robotic-group
    I did that but have not received any acknowledgement.

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    I did that but have not received any acknowledgement.

Hi you wont get an acknowledgement but your details have been logged and if you attending or just wanting your name adding to the group for follow up info and any future events etc

Hi you wont get an acknowledgement but your details have been logged and if you attending or just wanting your name adding to the group for follow up info and any future events etc
    Actually, fair play to Lucy Mellor but she emailed to let me know my details had been logged. She did say that she was very overworked with setting up for Livestock though!

A good meeting.Hope some good can of it.

good to see some of you there and really positive meeting, thoughts at the moment are to arrange a national conference in September

I think ive found the perfect solution to keeping cows feet clean, treating them for DD and at the same time keeping robot floor clean!!!
    http://www.bovibooster.com/Gallery.html

What does everyone think? il find out a price

good to see some of you there and really positive meeting, thoughts at the moment are to arrange a national conference in September
    I've just spotted this York and have registered my interest for future events. A lot of robots in this corner of the country as I'm sure you aware, so would be grateful if that was borne in mind. Great idea and thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    I think ive found the perfect solution to keeping cows feet clean, treating them for DD and at the same time keeping robot floor clean!!!

This company is a bit closer to home and been doing them a while .

http://www.targetsolutions.biz/

They do only do the back of the back feet mind so not a complete replacement for proper footbathing

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post

I have seen something similar fitted to an A3 machine, as far as I know you have to be VERY careful over the selection of chemicals as you are effectively using them IN the milk production area, so cross contamination MAY be an issue.

What about these instead?

http://www.vink-elst.nl/hoofcare_spray_mat.html

yeh I like the mat but I can see it being covered in shit most of the day until you volume washed it off because I know it doesn't take long for my plastic footbath on exit to fill up. At least the other one is cleaning robot floor at same time so would save on time volume washing floor down

I had one fitted a few years ago. The guy who does it is very professional and straight. In the interest of openness though, I have to be honest and say it didn't work for me. Went back to the footpath.

DairyFarmer111 are you referring to the mat or the foot sprayer?

Sprayer. Neat idea. Not writing it off. It just didn't work for me.

so that I know whether to look into it further can you explain what it was that didn't work about it? Did it help with digi or not at all?

Would not an auto footbath at the exit to the bot be a better job? As I understand it, you Scots & English can get generous grants on such items whilst we Welsh farmers get nowt .......... unless you're a new entrant or want to go through Glastir

When we moved from bathing it was ok for a while. It did keep the heels fairly clean. Started to notice that I was treating front feet heels for digi or blistering. Then I began to notice I was jagging an increasing number of cows for foul. That was it really. Back to the bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballygreenan View Post
    I have seen something similar fitted to an A3 machine, as far as I know you have to be VERY careful over the selection of chemicals as you are effectively using them IN the milk production area, so cross contamination MAY be an issue.

What about these instead?

http://www.vink-elst.nl/hoofcare_spray_mat.html
    What kina money does that yoke work out at?

We put a foot sprayer that DP Agri made for us on the exit of the robot The cows pass a sensor that sets the pump off and sprays the feet as the cow walks out.
    After nearly 3 years in robots feet are best they have been. Yes we still get digi but not as bad as when we were footbathing every 3 days through the parlour.
    It does depend on the chemical we use some work better than others.
    As above I'd be wary what chemicals to spray while the cow is in the robot.
    If using a mat or footbath it would be better about 3 or 4 metre away from the robot, first thing the cow does is have a crap as it leaves the robot.

Just fitted one of these on the exit of the robot

http://www.cowcaresystems.com/auto-flush-walkway/

Not managed to get it working properly yet so just doing it manually until they can sort it but still will have same effect , finding the cows mess a lot less in this than when I used to try a plastic bath on exit, don't know why but long may it continue . One problem is the cows having to walk over the pump housing meaning low slung udders drag over it which could be an issue with either muck getting on teats or chemical burning teats but no problems yet with this so fingers crossed. Looking at the pictures on the website it looks like it could be made with the pump to the side which looks a better job

Was about to post a more detailed new thread on what I have in mind, but before doing so thought I would dip my toe in the water with an initial question on here:
    Has anyone installed a robot in a shipping container so as to make it mobile; a modern day milking bale ?

thanks, Delilah

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Was about to post a more detailed new thread on what I have in mind, but before doing so thought I would dip my toe in the water with an initial question on here:
    Has anyone installed a robot in a shipping container so as to make it mobile; a modern day milking bale ?

thanks, Delilah
    I see where you're coming from but there are a couple of issues that spring immediately to mind.

1) Robots use a lot of water and this needs to go somewhere that drains fast
    2) you will need a mains water feed & mains power (and a back up ideally) so it immediately ceases to be portable.
    3) dairy regs insist on a washable floor etc. Might be difficult in a container?

I am sure that there are other issues that will come to mind in due course

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

thanks, Delilah
    Yes...

And its for sale, PM if interested ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

After spending 3 years reading about peoples compressor disasters, its finally happened to me! The scroll went in my atlas copco and my 150 litre 2HP farm compressor would only manage 2 robots so hired a 150 litre 4HP in the end which is managing whilst we wait for the new scroll to come costing 2800 Its done 32 months on 3 robots so I don't know if that's good or bad. Anyone else got a better kind of compressor? Im buying the compressor im hiring which is new for 600 which isn't bad considering cost of atlas copco ones but it doesn't have a drier so cant use it for long really.