Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Robot Milking - (All)

mawleymoos

Re: Robot Milking - (All)

hi ya all! I am just wondering the best way to dry of cows giving 33ltrs of milk? as we are pulling the calving index back to try to keep a more energetic herd,we are now drying cows of giving more milk:cry:! the 6 cows drying of tomorrow have averaged 11722ltrs in 305 days! we had to get the vet to pd this one to make sure, so I havn't had chance to drop her food till today! should we be reducing milkings? or will that cause more problems? all I am thinking of doing is to double D.C. tube in the morning, put some teat film on and feeding straw and water for a few days! will this be enough or how should we have done it?

Foregoneconclusion

Quote Originally Posted by mawleymoos View Post
    hi ya all! I am just wondering the best way to dry of cows giving 33ltrs of milk? as we are pulling the calving index back to try to keep a more energetic herd,we are now drying cows of giving more milk:cry:! the 6 cows drying of tomorrow have averaged 11722ltrs in 305 days! we had to get the vet to pd this one to make sure, so I havn't had chance to drop her food till today! should we be reducing milkings? or will that cause more problems? all I am thinking of doing is to double D.C. tube in the morning, put some teat film on and feeding straw and water for a few days! will this be enough or how should we have done it?
    Wow.. good luck. Surely reducing milkings, restricting feed to straw and water over a week will reduce the 33 lts to a more manageable level. Dont waste DC tubes on her yet- little point in going for a double dose surely. Get milk prodn down week 1 then remove her from bot environment so she has no sight ofr sound of it. Then DC and Orbeseal while keeping her on straw. . What do you reckon...

mawleymoos

Quote Originally Posted by Foregoneconclusion View Post
    Wow.. good luck. Surely reducing milkings, restricting feed to straw and water over a week will reduce the 33 lts to a more manageable level. Dont waste DC tubes on her yet- little point in going for a double dose surely. Get milk prodn down week 1 then remove her from bot environment so she has no sight ofr sound of it. Then DC and Orbeseal while keeping her on straw. . What do you reckon...
    I am a bit worried about reducing milkings and leaving her in the herd! I am worried, if she comes into bot at usual time and does't get milked, will she be more likely to take mastitis or do I need to do it gradually? I once reduced a 66 ltr cow from 6 milkings a day to 4 (as advised) and she took mastitis and lost a 1/4:cry:! once bitten!!!! I have tubed her today and moved her away but not sure whether it will work! it has worked for 26-27 ltr cows in the past!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by mawleymoos View Post
    I once reduced a 66 ltr cow from 6 milkings a day to 4 (as advised) and she took mastitis and lost a 1/4:cry:!
    Why was she being milked 6 times a day? The maximum recommended is 3.5-4 times. More than that, and there might be teat end damage. she would also be spending too much time in the robots!!

mawleymoos

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Why was she being milked 6 times a day? The maximum recommended is 3.5-4 times. More than that, and there might be teat end damage. she would also be spending too much time in the robots!!
    that was in the early days before we had the discussion at fullwoods about milking too many times a day!

nichmark

You need to have the cow on a reduced plane of nutrition for a few days prior to drying off ideally. Tubing a cow and then putting it on straw means it still has stomachs full of energy and protein that will end up producing milk. Try to have on straw 24 hours prior to drying off and then just straw for 24 hours after and then introduce onto something after that to stop her digestive system bunging up. I know of cows that have been kept on straw for 3-4 days post dry off and because they have been pushing that hard to try crap they have pushed calf bed out or aborted the calf.

mawleymoos

Quote Originally Posted by nichmark View Post
    You need to have the cow on a reduced plane of nutrition for a few days prior to drying off ideally. Tubing a cow and then putting it on straw means it still has stomachs full of energy and protein that will end up producing milk. Try to have on straw 24 hours prior to drying off and then just straw for 24 hours after and then introduce onto something after that to stop her digestive system bunging up. I know of cows that have been kept on straw for 3-4 days post dry off and because they have been pushing that hard to try crap they have pushed calf bed out or aborted the calf.
    thanks! it would sound sensible to take her out of the bot group 12-24 hrs before tubing, which will reduce milkings and give her straw before tubing to knock her of her milk! i'll try this next time!

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I disagree. If a cow is giving that sort of yield, then she should be free to go in as often as she likes, more or less. I had the 50 kg+ group set for 5x, and the 60kg+ (odd ones) at 6x. In reality, they rarely go in more than 4.5x, but I wouldn't want to turn a cow away that had 13kg of milk on board.

On the OP, if I have a cow giving that sort of milk approaching drying off, I would leave her in the robots, but cut the concs right down for the last week or two. This effectively reduces the protein & energy going in and reduces production pretty quickly, without a massive change to the diet. I often find that most of those types of cows (pure Holstein?) will suddenly drop right off on their own as they approach drying off. We have one that will keep on banging out 40kg until 3 months off calving, then suddenly drop to 20kg over the space of a week. Does it every year, clever lass! Of course animals being animals, they don't all conform to any rule though.

chips

Ours automatically drops concentrate x amount days pre a pd positive calving date

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by chips View Post
    Ours automatically drops concentrate x amount days pre a pd positive calving date
    I prefer to keep control of feed levels, but ours too are set to drop to 2x a day at 70 days pre-calving date, if they haven't decided to do that by themselves by then.

Newholland

A question for anybody who knows:

Our local firm says vacume on demand with a variable speed vacume pump is only possible on 3 phase and thats why they have to have 3 phase only for their robots, yet Lely told me in Holland that their single phase robot has a variable speed vacume pump no problems.....who is telling the truth?

Thanks.

mawleymoos

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    I prefer to keep control of feed levels, but ours too are set to drop to 2x a day at 70 days pre-calving date, if they haven't decided to do that by themselves by then.
    do you leave it till the last week or 10 days to drop to 2x day milkings? do you have any other problems like mastitis or have to fetch them when you change there routine? I agree with you, it seems a shame(unless your bot is at full capacity) to turn away a cow with milk on, and reduce a feed by restricting no.of milkings on your top yielders! P.S. we seem to have got away with our sudden approach to drying off our last bunch! the next bunch to dry of in a couple of weeks include a cow giving 38.5ltrs at the moment! so I might start winding her down if she doesn't do it herself:cry:!

mawleymoos

Quote Originally Posted by Newholland View Post

Our local firm says vacume on demand with a variable speed vacume pump is only possible on 3 phase and thats why they have to have 3 phase only for their robots, yet Lely told me in Holland that their single phase robot has a variable speed vacume pump no problems.....who is telling the truth?

Thanks.
    I guess your looking at a de-laval! I don't know much about them, but do they have there vac pump in the bot, or in a seperate room? also can 1 pump run a multiple system? I am looking at a variable pump at the moment but not sure of the savings yet! do lely offer a variable speed pump or is there any savings as the pump is only running when it needs to?

Yorkshire Farmer

Thanks.
    Lely - obviously...
    majority of robots in some parts of the UK are single phase as there just isnt 3 phase available! - single phase is not a problem, Lely's done variable speed pumps on robots for 6 or 7 years now & have always done single phase.
    The Lely robots is produced the same for the world market, and as such they all come out suitable to wire up for single or 3 phase or whatever it is in... USA, Oz Japan Koera etc etc.. the machine has its own on board distribution through an invertor, which happily receives power in whatever feed is supplied to it, and changing it to what it needs for different parts of the robot, motors to circuit boards. Has to be kept simple for mass production.

variable speed one is much cheaper on electric to run. They're almost silent and they come one per robot so each unit it totally independant. The units supplied by lely are over engineered and quite big, but then they can just run at "tickover" and are not wearing out by any means!

pendragon

Thanks.
    Variable speed / Vacuum on demand is not a problem on single phase.
    You need as a minimum efficiency 2 motors, efficiency 1 is better. But you need 3 phase motors to do variable speed on single phase.

Minimum rotor speeds of 700-800 is required on vane pumps to get the vanes to fly out, dry lobe or hook and claw pumps can run at much lower speeds giving a much better energy saving.

Newholland

Thanks for that.

Think somebody should maybe start out as an independant robot consultant and be able to go in to a farm and advise exactly which colour robot is best suited to their particular situation/area....... Spending a fortune on installing 3 phase and then becoming aware that dealer told a small fib and that we could have got away with out 3 phase it is frustrating!

upnorth

Thanks for that.

Think somebody should maybe start out as an independant robot consultant and be able to go in to a farm and advise exactly which colour robot is best suited to their particular situation/area....... Spending a fortune on installing 3 phase and then becoming aware that dealer told a small fib and that we could have got away with out 3 phase it is frustrating!
    You just need to ask on BFF

frigaste

Just about ready for Elly to arrive.

fraggle13

Quote Originally Posted by frigaste View Post
    Just about ready for Elly to arrive.

Looking good,

wish I was getting on with building work, rather than messing about with AHW grant applications

frigaste

put plastic wall clading on robot clean room

Patcoa

Very nice job!!

When's the baby due?

frigaste

Quote Originally Posted by Patcoa View Post
    Very nice job!!

When's the baby due?
    Should be delivered in the next week or two, up and running by 21st June

Patcoa

Best of luck with it!

sethstarkadder

Hey Frigaste hope it's all going to plan, has your baby arrived yet? Got any more pics to update us? Just started preparatory works for ours this week (bit of a lull between spring planting and silaging) so we can move the cows out of most of the collecting yard when we start building the 2 robot rooms at the end of july.

frigaste

Robot been delayed, should be delivered this week. Will put some photos on when she arrives.

Patcoa

Hi.
    I was wondering if you guys think it would be possible to run a heifer rearing operation along side the milking herd with a robot?
    I mean calve say 5/6 heifers every month, train em in and then sell em.
    There should be plenty of demand with more and more people putting in robots and they would milk ok in an ordinary parlour too wouldn't they?
    What do yee think?

Yorkshire Farmer

The best heifers I have bought in have come from farms with robots, so someone else has got them trained and running before I have them!

works well for me, but dont have to pay a premium for them if your thinking you will be able to?

some conventional parlour men frown a bit on robot milked cows so there may be a limited market for them, especailly in your area - until there are more robots!

Patcoa

some conventional parlour men frown a bit on robot milked cows

Why would that be? I would have thought they'd be quiter or is it a case of the robot getting blamed for the bad ones?

fraggle13

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Farmer View Post
    some conventional parlour men frown a bit on robot milked cows so there may be a limited market for them, especailly in your area - until there are more robots!
    You'll have to have a trip over the water and sell a few bots around Cork then Tim..

At least the farmers over there might not be pee-ing about finishing AHW grant apps at silly o'clock in the morning for their robots

Patcoa

You'll have to have a trip over the water and sell a few bots around Cork then Tim

He won't have to. We've a new Lely center here in Cork since the start of the year, 20 miles away from me so i'll be going to them IF i buy a robot.
    Can't see Tim jumping on a Ryanair flight at 2 in the morning to do a breakdown call for me .