Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1425

Thread: Robot Milking - (All)

Re: Robot Milking - (All)

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    sorry for the questions what about vacuum system? same as a conventional parlour. think mine is .75kw. and does the .75 kw hydraulic motor run all the time a cows milking or just on demand??
    Vac system is similar to conventional, but works on demand ie on tickover when milking, revs harder when washing and attaching. Hydraulic system uses accumulator to hold pressure in system, so as you say runs as pressure needs rebuilding.Once attached ,arm is just holding pipes so pump is mostly off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Seasider, I don't think any of us attacked your system at all , indeed I said for zero grazing it may have a place , the question was asked and we all put our thoughts forward on why we think free access is best , you challenged this theory by saying we overfeed cows on free access to which I then responded as to why in my oppinion ,which is all I said it was, I felt it was still better to do that than have guided traffic , isn't that debate not attack ? Well that is certainly the way it was intended and I apologise if any offence was caused
    No worries chips

Now there's a coincidence: with the debate going on about cow management in the UK on BFF, on the other side of the world Murdoch's Tasmanian Country has 2 stories in its 11 April edition (pp 10 & 11) on research to get the best out of robots.

Tas. Country is now behind a paywall, but if you are prepared to jump thru the hoops, you can get a free one day look. Try this link http://themercury-au.newspaperdirect...er/viewer.aspx or search for Tasmanian Country.

Briefly, in Tas (with only 4 or maybe 5 robots, both Lely & De LAval) grazing is the norm. FutureDairy researcher Ms Tori Scott is looking at cow behaviour as the key, and concentrating on the amount of pasture allocated. Apparently, if too much grass is available, the cows won't go to the robot, but if too little, they leave the paddock early & there are queues.

The second story is on the research of FutureDairy post-grad student Alex John. His research has found that the amount of feed offered in the early evening can have a significant effect on efficiency. With voluntary movement being the norm, 3 allocations of pasture per day resulted in more efficient use of the robot, with more milkings after midnight.

Much to learn, it seems.

JV

I donít think I launched any attack - I responded to the comments:

"Why are farmers using free cow traffic so sure they know what is best for everyone else,blind loyalty?We all think we have systems that work best for ourselves but some think they know best with no experience of other systems,surely better to gain knowledge yourself than support biased propaganda?"

And in my post stated at least 3 times that there are exceptions and that I know many people who use one way / guided or whatever you want to call it and do a good job of it and manage their cows well, including seasider who then states:

"Thank you DairyFarmer111,an honest forthright opinion with respect for another's way of doing the job opposite to your own. Milking with robots is still very much in the early years,we are all still learning and will always be learning.I am so disappointed that others with the bottle to be the first to use robots and face the criticism from such a cynical industry as ours should feel the need to attack another's system even if based on their own bad experience TEN years ago!"

This feels like an attack on me. I gave due credit to all using whatever system they do. I was giving my opinion with an educated and informed point of view from THIRTEEN years of working in the industry. Not based solely on my own farms past, but on many farms throughout Europe and the rest of the world using and trying both systems TO DATE. There is no blind loyalty, nor marketing spin whatsoever. My views are my own and I went to great lengths to explain that I had a fixed view which i didnít want to accept was wrong at the time but now accept that there are many ways that can work and all do to differing degrees:

My view is that in general, people do better with free access and cows definitely so. It should be noted this is even more so as herds get bigger, and where there are multiple robots on a farm, which is where the majority of farms considering robots are now, so its appropriate for the people who are asking questions of this forum to assist them with the most relevant information.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Farmer View Post
    I donít think I launched any attack - I responded to the comments:

"Why are farmers using free cow traffic so sure they know what is best for everyone else,blind loyalty?We all think we have systems that work best for ourselves but some think they know best with no experience of other systems,surely better to gain knowledge yourself than support biased propaganda?"

And in my post stated at least 3 times that there are exceptions and that I know many people who use one way / guided or whatever you want to call it and do a good job of it and manage their cows well, including seasider who then states:

"Thank you DairyFarmer111,an honest forthright opinion with respect for another's way of doing the job opposite to your own. Milking with robots is still very much in the early years,we are all still learning and will always be learning.I am so disappointed that others with the bottle to be the first to use robots and face the criticism from such a cynical industry as ours should feel the need to attack another's system even if based on their own bad experience TEN years ago!"

This feels like an attack on me. I gave due credit to all using whatever system they do. I was giving my opinion with an educated and informed point of view from THIRTEEN years of working in the industry. Not based solely on my own farms past, but on many farms throughout Europe and the rest of the world using and trying both systems TO DATE. There is no blind loyalty, nor marketing spin whatsoever. My views are my own and I went to great lengths to explain that I had a fixed view which i didnít want to accept was wrong at the time but now accept that there are many ways that can work and all do to differing degrees:

My view is that in general, people do better with free access and cows definitely so. It should be noted this is even more so as herds get bigger, and where there are multiple robots on a farm, which is where the majority of farms considering robots are now, so its appropriate for the people who are asking questions of this forum to assist them with the most relevant information.
    Attack ,when defined in the context that I used it means " to strongly criticise " After reading all the posts following Bankvilles original question 7/4/14 I stand by its use.My comment on 11/4/14 expresses "disappointment" particularly the words used 10/4/14 ...."but it was wrong and it is wrong and there is no way I would ever go back......." Looks like us exceptions have all got it wrong after all. A farmer recently came here to have a look , upon leaving his comment was "your system challanges the conventional thinking on robots as you have approached it from a completely different angle of thought by doing so you have really given me food for thought" He is planning a 500 cow greenfield unit and wants flexabilty.Why is it wrong to challange convention ?

Article written in Progressive Dairy, with support from Delaval to help do the research, ranked as their 21 out out of 25 top read articles:

http://www.progressivedairy.com/inde...fort&Itemid=77

Youtube video showing guided cows

Note, this is exceptional and not saying they all are like this but it's easy to let the best systems have bad days

http://youtu.be/vDPDsYNYT4o

Note, this is exceptional and not saying they all are like this but it's easy to let the best systems have bad days

In fairness, we have free cow traffic with a 7m x 30m "loafing area" in front of 2 A4s and we always, no matter what time of day or night, have cows queuing to get in. They use the waiting time to lick themselves or each other, have the odd headbutt, splash water from the troughs and generally mooch but we are waiting for Welsh Government to launch the health & welfare grant so we can rubberise the whole loafing area.
    The herd average is 7 visits to the bots/day with 2.7 milkings. The real problem is keeping away those that just go around & around until they get bored ..

Article written in Progressive Dairy, with support from Delaval to help do the research, ranked as their 21 out out of 25 top read articles:

http://www.progressivedairy.com/inde...fort&Itemid=77

Have seen this before and there are many excellent points made and comments.

Gutted! Just lost a bet as I was expecting the one with cows led in the passages!

We had good discussion about guided systems at the robot seminar this week, and was pointed out about the efficiency of feeding in guided compared to free access and number of cows to fetch.
    Think more people are leaning towards a milk first setup.
    It depends on original layout of buildings and then of course if we had a greenfield site would that be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    The cow signals boys who have being doing the rounds of talks etc are the guys to ask , they have done a lot of research into it
    Interesting Cow Signal article on Free cow traffic - http://www.cowsignals.com/moo/free_c...e_new_standard
    British Farming Forum on Facebook - www.facebook.com/groups/BritishFarmingForum

What is the maximum total litres per day that can be acheived from a Lely A2?

Quote Originally Posted by Cowcrazy View Post
    What is the maximum total litres per day that can be acheived from a Lely A2?
    Ha your the man that should no!! Why have you just broken the 3000 litre mark? I've just sold 7 milking cows and 2 cull cows cos after calving 9 heifers 2 weeks ago i was sick to death of penning cows up. now there is more time all the heifers are milking them selves.

What is the maximum total litres per day that can be achieved from a Lely A2?
    Lot of variables to consider - esp milk speed

I have seen 2400 in the UK and heard of 2600 on Danish farms where breeding over years for high milk speed to maximise robot output.

Ha your the man that should no!! Why have you just broken the 3000 litre mark? I've just sold 7 milking cows and 2 cull cows cos after calving 9 heifers 2 weeks ago i was sick to death of penning cows up. now there is more time all the heifers are milking them selves.
    I can relate to that! I want to sell at least 10 next month. Havn't got near 3000 litres yet. On 2400 litres and wondered if there was any slack in the system!

How much free time have you and what's your av milk speed? 2400 is good going

I doubt there is any slack much there. When I got that high I was working longer fetching cows than I could have milked them in a parlour 3 times. For sanity sake I'm happy at 2000 litres. I'd be worried to death at having a service or breakdown. Do you milk with a portable when service time comes?

I doubt there is any slack much there. When I got that high I was working longer fetching cows than I could have milked them in a parlour 3 times. For sanity sake I'm happy at 2000 litres. I'd be worried to death at having a service or breakdown. Do you milk with a portable when service time comes?
    No I don't. My aim is two have two robots with 55 cows on each and be able to not worry as much. At this level the only way I can get my heifers through regularly enough is to pen them off which is far from ideal. But circumstances put me in this position rather than my own doing.

How much free time have you and what's your av milk speed? 2400 is good going
    Just looked 2.7 litres/minute average and freee time 9.3% which surprises me as you never see the robot without cows waiting. Before we had an update free time was around 3% I think somehow they changed how the figure was calculated.

Does the robot count time taken by the cow walking in and out of the robot as freetime?
    Subtract this time from the total freetime and it woula leave freetime very short indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggerman View Post
    Does the robot count time taken by the cow walking in and out of the robot as freetime?
    Subtract this time from the total freetime and it woula leave freetime very short indeed.
    Yes it does, I also think it includes wash time but not a 100% sure on that.

Why don't you boys put a small rotary in instead of robots seems crazy to me ?

Quote Originally Posted by big philip View Post
    or a 15 30 swing over. 110 cows job done. both cowcrazy and myself have sons heading towards school leaving age. pay a night milker £30 to do 10 o'clock night milkings 5 days a week and 2 people do one milking a day. All cows get milked 3 times a day and you can service the parlour without going into a panic attack. mine has got stickers all over it. it should have one " milking more than 60 cows can seriously damage your health" like a cigarette packet..... on the good side i,ve just had the lowest cell count report this morning that i have ever had in all my 24 years of milking cows. it's not all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by big philip View Post
    Many. many reasons but one of the chief ones is that at a stroke a robot removes a labour unit. High quality, reliable labour doesn't come cheap or that available.

Also, as Happycows says, milk quality is outstanding as I am sure that stress plays a major role in cell counts

or a 15 30 swing over. 110 cows job done. both cowcrazy and myself have sons heading towards school leaving age. pay a night milker £30 to do 10 o'clock night milkings 5 days a week and 2 people do one milking a day. All cows get milked 3 times a day and you can service the parlour without going into a panic attack. mine has got stickers all over it. it should have one " milking more than 60 cows can seriously damage your health" like a cigarette packet..... on the good side i,ve just had the lowest cell count report this morning that i have ever had in all my 24 years of milking cows. it's not all bad.
    Even with the robot at maximium capacity our cell counts have been around 70 for the last three months and a bactoscan average of 12. Imagine what they would be like with 55 cows on a robot!

Plenty of farmers getting good scc and bactoscan through a normal parlour if not better. I dont think robots really improve the quality. And if people say they do then they weren't doing the job properly prior to installing robots in my opinion.

I can relate to that! I want to sell at least 10 next month. Havn't got near 3000 litres yet. On 2400 litres and wondered if there was any slack in the system!

Delaval can do 3000 litres/day !
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write

Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post
    Delaval can do 3000 litres/day !

I would love to visit a farm and see how they achieve it.

I would love to visit a farm and see how they achieve it.
    Simples.... guided traffic