Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1425

Thread: Robot Milking - (All)

Re: Robot Milking - (All)

Quote Originally Posted by Bankville View Post
    Simples.... guided traffic
    Lely are claiming 3000 litres/day as well plus something like top 20 yielding robots 17 are lely . All a load of bollocks really, bit like the top speed of your car being 155mph and who polices these claims, would be far more telling to see what the average yields would be across different makes and input types

Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Lely are claiming 3000 litres/day as well plus something like top 20 yielding robots 17 are lely . All a load of bollocks really, bit like the top speed of your car being 155mph and who polices these claims, would be far more telling to see what the average yields would be across different makes and input types
    Making claims like that is very very misleading. How do they claim to do it? 50 cows milking 3 times a day averaging 60 litres and doing 20 litres a milking. certaily not the norm. For a more realistic figures fullwood have a league table. i see the best is doing 2500 litres averaging 47 litres!! and 53 in milk. well done that man whoever he is. the average over all of them without working it out doesn't look more than 1600 litres a day on average.

I wouldn't advise or do a budget on much over 2000 litres per point / box

Independent advice is needed to avoid silly sales claims

It is this kind of misleading information which proves the need to discuss plans with someone who knows what is realistic and if you / your farm is suited before spending large amounts of capital

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Farmer View Post
    I wouldn't advise or do a budget on much over 2000 litres per point / box

Independent advice is needed to avoid silly sales claims

It is this kind of misleading information which proves the need to discuss plans with someone who knows what is realistic and if you / your farm is suited before spending large amounts of capital
    That's what I tell everyone who asks how many cows per robot. We are putting 70 Jerseys through each machine a day at the moment with 10% free time and I think that is that absolute limit in terms of cow numbers yet because of the stage of most of their lactations, we are only averaging 2500 litres per day or 1250 litres per machine (very high milk solids though)

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    Making claims like that is very very misleading. How do they claim to do it? 50 cows milking 3 times a day averaging 60 litres and doing 20 litres a milking. certaily not the norm. For a more realistic figures fullwood have a league table. i see the best is doing 2500 litres averaging 47 litres!! and 53 in milk. well done that man whoever he is. the average over all of them without working it out doesn't look more than 1600 litres a day on average.
    2500 litres on a "forced" system as well.... each to their own I suppose

so what is the ideal number of milkings per day or is the ideal a certain number of kgs per milking?

2500 litres on a "forced" system as well.... each to their own I suppose

so what is the ideal number of milkings per day or is the ideal a certain number of kgs per milking?
    i don't like to see single figures on my milking list. i'm not over keen on more than 20 litres to. If its more than 20 she should have gone in before ideally. if she won't do ten litres she needs to wait a bit longer. I believe that 4 a day or every 6 hours is enough. mine can and do have upto another 4 feeds or more in the oopf though.

Its a ratio between viability of milking for the cost / wear on the machine at lower levels while being better for the cow also

Best result in terms of cell counts is 9.5 litres to 12 litres per milking

Depending on if your charged per milking / per litre on service contract can also have a bearing on if you want to milk less or more

For cow health milk them before they get to 15 litres is my preference, but allow milking access at 9 and let the software decide the priority for milking over the day depending on how the herd / group is performing (behaving)

4 times in a day is maximum requirement. All research and studies show there is no gain past 4 milkings and in some there was not much advantage over 3.5 per day - what gain you get there (between 3.5 and 4) may work negatively against capacity / costs ?
    Also there is potential for milk hygiene issues when milking a cow more than 4 times a day.

Is this a good access matrix? Im worried there going in too much!

Also there is potential for milk hygiene issues when milking a cow more than 4 times a day.
    Just curious, but why is that??

Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Is this a good access matrix? Im worried there going in too much!

Looks very high. What are they actually doing, how many fails / litres per visit / milkings
    With those settings they will nearly get milked every time they go

Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    Just curious, but why is that??
    Some robots work with a flush between each cow
    I've seen over milked herds have water in milk due to left over wash between each cow
    Often when too few cows / robot tendency is to allow more milkings but can lead to other issues
    Teats also need a rest from milking, end damage can come from over milking therefore a cell count issue potentially

Well that matrix is just for cows because there the ones im having to fetch a lot of. 10 either end of day and theres nothing wrong with the most the cows. There 7 day average is 38.7kg/day, 2.7 failures, 2.9 visits, 1.8 refusals, 13.3kg/visit including heifers! (Don't think I can get yield per visit for just the cows) One reason I thought of was the maximum amount of feed per visit was 4kg when it used to be 3 so cows wouldn't need to come as much to get there daily allowance so ive changed that but cant see any other reason why im getting so many late cows.

Well that matrix is just for cows because there the ones im having to fetch a lot of. 10 either end of day and theres nothing wrong with the most the cows. There 7 day average is 38.7kg/day, 2.7 failures, 2.9 visits, 1.8 refusals, 13.3kg/visit including heifers! (Don't think I can get yield per visit for just the cows) One reason I thought of was the maximum amount of feed per visit was 4kg when it used to be 3 so cows wouldn't need to come as much to get there daily allowance so ive changed that but cant see any other reason why im getting so many late cows.
    How many cows / box?
    Would agree amount per visit is a lot- cows will be sluggish with that amount fed (potentially) Max visit 2.5 to 3 would be better. At 4kg how fast can a cow eat / milk ? - its the low ones coming in after that will benefit as she will leave some (depends also on feed speed settings as to how much / fast it drops)

Some robots work with a flush between each cow
    I've seen over milked herds have water in milk due to left over wash between each cow
    Often when too few cows / robot tendency is to allow more milkings but can lead to other issues
    Teats also need a rest from milking, end damage can come from over milking therefore a cell count issue potentially
    Would teat end damage from over milking not be because milk out settings are not adjusted to allow for extra milking the same as a conventional parlour?

What flow rate do lely recommend removal of cups?

Would teat end damage from over milking not be because milk out settings are not adjusted to allow for extra milking the same as a conventional parlour?

What flow rate do lely recommend removal of cups?
    Depends on the system (manufacturer) and the settings you can (and cant) adjust. Some firms milk out to 0, some have their own recommendations. Each manufacturer have their own published recommendations for end of milk take off.

My point with the over milking is the exposure time the teat is subjected to during the course of 24 hours if milked more than 4 times. Each cup on time is going to lead to some amount of pre milk flow lag time, every time so the more times it occurs the chances are there is some over milking occurring at the start of milking, and yes at the end too which is where your coming from over the take off settings.

Despite the time this thread has been going and the vast ammount of information being shared, it appears one point constantly gets missed. Surely, a robot is about the maximum ammount of milk per minute/hour/day/year/ NOT the number of cows !!
    Each cow has a box time, so the objective must be to have high yielding, fast milking cows with perfedtly formed udders and teat positioning, mobile and good on thier feet.....with as FEW as possible and a small ammount of free box time.
    So, what about that cow ? Who has them ? What bull/semen is the best to provide the perfect robot cow ?
    Committing to a robot and not constant herd/cow improvement is only going half way.

Quote Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
    Despite the time this thread has been going and the vast ammount of information being shared, it appears one point constantly gets missed. Surely, a robot is about the maximum ammount of milk per minute/hour/day/year/ NOT the number of cows !!
    Each cow has a box time, so the objective must be to have high yielding, fast milking cows with perfedtly formed udders and teat positioning, mobile and good on thier feet.....with as FEW as possible and a small ammount of free box time.
    So, what about that cow ? Who has them ? What bull/semen is the best to provide the perfect robot cow ?
    Committing to a robot and not constant herd/cow improvement is only going half way.
    Totally agree; how long each cow spends in the box determines "how many cows"... but more importantly how much milk a machine can harvest for minimal amount of use / hours it clocks up / costs to run etc...

Quote Originally Posted by thesilentone View Post
    Bob on, Silentone. That's we use Genus GMS with just those criteria and are happy to use genomic bulls to "short circuit" our quest for the perfect robot ready cow.

We have used only avoncroft for past 3 years and intend to keep using them because the dutch seem to have the perfect cow in my opinion and the perfect sheds and the 2 work nicely together. You have to go to Holland to see for yourself how little lame cows there are and how long there cows last. My cows were averaging 37kg 2 week ago and I hated it because at same time the vet put 10 prids in and jabbed 8 with enzaprost so im basically trying to breed a cow that lasts long but that doesn't give stupid amounts of milk which I felt was what the dutch cows were doing. Also breeding for high milk solids now because of arla screwing us for low fats.

Is anyone zero grazing grass and using lely Juno to push it up? I'm frustrated at the moment because my Juno is getting lost all the time because it's wheels are slipping on the water from the grass i think and it struggles to push lumps of grass up. It can slip when it's not even pushing anything! It all started the day I started feeding grass so can't blame anything else but it's not struggled once pushing loads of silage up all winter.

Is anyone zero grazing grass and using lely Juno to push it up? I'm frustrated at the moment because my Juno is getting lost all the time because it's wheels are slipping on the water from the grass i think and it struggles to push lumps of grass up. It can slip when it's not even pushing anything! It all started the day I started feeding grass so can't blame anything else but it's not struggled once pushing loads of silage up all winter.
    Have the wheels worn their tread down? I noticed that ours seem to wear down quite quickly so you end up with a bald band in effect. If there was a opportunity, you could lift it & cut cross grooves with an angle grinder? Or ask for new tyres. They like delaminating ..............

What are peoples routines when it comes to training fresh cows and heifers to the robotic system? What have you found to be tge quickest and mist successful way?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What are peoples routines when it comes to training fresh cows and heifers to the robotic system? What have you found to be tge quickest and mist successful way?
    Snatch calve & get them in to the box ASAP works for us whilst they are still "stunned" and we'll have most trained within a week to x3/day milkings. Always exceptions though with some taking to it straight away & never lifting a foot to others that do their best to destroy the bot for 14 days or more. Fortunately that latter are rare!

Does anyone know how many killowatts my 3 lely robots and ice bank will be using a day? Solar PV installer wants to know so he can work out how much il save in electricity etc
    How have you got on looking at the sums for Solar PV.?

I`m told a robot system is good because you are using a significant amount of power during the day.

Literally 2 days ago after waiting 10 week or so for planning they went and shafted me and I'm fuming because I think there's a price cut which I'm going to incur now. It's because the planners said they need some more info 2 days before the deadline and there was no way we could get it in that time so had to withdraw application then get the required info then re submit it

For those of you wondering what those twin pipe kits are like for A3's.... there great! Got 2 robots with them on now and no issues yet. It apparently is only an issue if a cow kicks in the right spot and it can bend the bracket inside but seems very unlikely to me. Trying to get a 3rd kit but not sure lely will sell anymore until they have fixed the issue

For those of you wondering what those twin pipe kits are like for A3's.... there great! Got 2 robots with them on now and no issues yet. It apparently is only an issue if a cow kicks in the right spot and it can bend the bracket inside but seems very unlikely to me. Trying to get a 3rd kit but not sure lely will sell anymore until they have fixed the issue
    Our head engineer offered me a set to be there guinea pig and try them out , but it was late at night so said I'd think about it , next time he came out I asked if I could try and he said they have been told not to put the kits on any more due to the pipes collapsing over time and reducing vacuum, which I could imagine would be one of those intermittent problems you don't know you've got until a lot of harm has been done . Seemed unlikely from looking at the kit but I didn't want to risk it either but on the flip side this is something the old twin tube system can do anyway as they kink at full stretch after a certain age

After being milking through robot a few weeks, just wondering does anyone get paranoid with all the information available on cow health?

Quote Originally Posted by Macus3 View Post
    After being milking through robot a few weeks, just wondering does anyone get paranoid with all the information available on cow health?
    It really is information overload.

We only look in detail if there is a problem to solve when it is very usefull

90% of the time we don`t look at 90% of the information

Got the answer for you Chippy if you weren't sorted ............ apparently the grass for some reason gets over the sensor and stops the juno. Don't know why that doesn't happen with silage but there you are.