Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identify the plough

nashmach

Re: Identify the plough

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    Thought it was that but was wondering on the boards, seems and alright price?

Must put up a pic, I have what I think is a ransomes board lying about unused but not sure what type of board it is.
    Price will be alright with a bit of negotiation downwards. One thing though to be wary of if you want to compete in ploughing matches is that you need according to the rules YL or Epic boards. This is scuppering me at the minute and I am a tight wad when it comes to a plough for play time

candor

Quote Originally Posted by nashmach View Post
    Price will be alright with a bit of negotiation downwards. One thing though to be wary of if you want to compete in ploughing matches is that you need according to the rules YL or Epic boards. This is scuppering me at the minute and I am a tight wad when it comes to a plough for play time
    Your prob right there, hard to know as I'm not looking to buy.

I didn't know that, you on tcn's then? You still using it to plough or do you have another?

What tractor would you put it on?

nashmach

Your prob right there, hard to know as I'm not looking to buy.

I didn't know that, you on tcn's then? You still using it to plough or do you have another?

What tractor would you put it on?
    Our TS 59 is on TCN's yes but they are nearly worn out. I don't compete yet as this plough would need to be narrowed to 10in and also the crosshaft moved and different boards. We also bought it brand new in 1963 (still have the receipt and operators manual ) so I am very reluctant to go chop it now hence why I am always on the look out for another cheap one with YL's or Epic's.

It is in the shed at the minute. Haven't used it for ten years as we gave up ploughing with it when we bought a KV MZ. It was used a few years back when we had 2 tractors and ploughs one weekend as it was a late year and to brighten its boards up again.

Would be going on a Ford 3000 Super Dexta whenever that will be fixed up properly!

Pennine Ploughing

In reply to one or two posts above,
    The plough in the picture looks like a TS59 fitted with EPIC boards not a 100% sure as pitcure is from a bit away, but i think its EPIC,
    Under society of ploughman rules, You can use any mould board that was in production befoe 1960 in the vintage class, not just YL or Epic boards.
    TS 59 is on TCN's would not ploug in the vintage class, its in the classic class,
    If you were thinking of putting it on a Ford 3000 Super Dexta then that would be in the classic class too, there for an ideal combination,
    The TCN board was never ment to plough at 10" furrow width, And the ploughmen i know plough at 11" or 12" not 10", and there is no need to cut the plough to do this,
    If you got a TS59 on YL boards, behind a Ford 3000 Super Dexta, you could not plough in the vintage class, as the tractor model is not old enough, Its a classic,
    As for TCN's yes but they are nearly worn out. plough mould boards are like shoes, there never comfortable, till there about worn out,,,,,,,,,

Track Marshall

While we're on identifying ploughs, what do people think this is?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/machinery/1278177
    Ts59 on Epic bodies, shame its not a bit nearer, im looking for one like that to go behind my super major

Exfarmer

I greww up with Epic bodies

I would never ever buy a pplough on epic`s

As for match ploughing with them
    you`re avin` a laugh

candor

Hope I'm not hi-jacking the thread but since we are on the topic I'm wondering what this mouldboard is off. It has never been used by the looks of things.

Also have a disc and leg off a bamford/kverneland. Would the disc fit many other ploughs?

mydexta

Hope I'm not hi-jacking the thread but since we are on the topic I'm wondering what this mouldboard is off. It has never been used by the looks of things.

Also have a disc and leg off a bamford/kverneland. Would the disc fit many other ploughs?
    i think it looks like either a scn or a ucn board.If it is a ucn then they can make a good job in the right hands

ploughman_1959

Why is it, a UCN was manufactured in the crucial 1960-1975 classic era but Ken Chappel and the society refuses to allow them to be used in classic ploughing classes?

mydexta

Quote Originally Posted by ploughman_1959 View Post
    Why is it, a UCN was manufactured in the crucial 1960-1975 classic era but Ken Chappel and the society refuses to allow them to be used in classic ploughing classes?

had same scenario up here a while back, lad using ucns was told they were too new.He phoned his wife who brought out the ransomes book and showed steward what it said in black in white, nothing they could say then

candor

What do any of you reckon it's worth?

mydexta

if it is a genuine ransomes ucn then i think between 70 and 90.I bought 2 brand new genuine ransomes tcn boards in october 2009 and they were 85 and there like hens teeth to find

nashmach

Quote Originally Posted by mydexta View Post
    if it is a genuine ransomes ucn then i think between 70 and 90.I bought 2 brand new genuine ransomes tcn boards in october 2009 and they were 85 and there like hens teeth to find
    Nice buy there:cry::cry:

candor

I believe it should be genuine, was used on a plough years ago, the plough is well gone at this stage. Don't think I would have a use for it. Would there be any special mark on it to indicate genuine?

I know a friend has a ts 59n but the boards look different to the one I have so wouldn't be of use to them.

Benwales

Plough could be a TS 1013 which was the same frame/legs as a robin but built with no depth wheel for the tractors with draught control, TS 59 's were also built without depth wheels in their later prodution in the form of the ts 59Z
    My Robin TS54A has no depth wheel. What is the difference between this and TS1013?

Also is there a difference between EPIC41 & EPIC41K?

TIA

ploughman_1959

Quote Originally Posted by Benwales View Post
    My Robin TS54A has no depth wheel. What is the difference between this and TS1013?

Also is there a difference between EPIC41 & EPIC41K?

TIA
    TS54A without depth wheel is Identical, just earlier1950's
    will look up epic question and report back

Benwales

TS54A without depth wheel is Identical, just earlier1950's
    will look up epic question and report back
    Many thanks. Could K stand for Krissteel?

Benwales

UCN on Robin?

Could UCN bodies (and legs) be mounted on a Ransomes Robin frame (TS54 / 1013)?

Such a combination couldn't be used for matches, but would it make a better general purpose plough for a small holding than YL or EPIC?

mydexta

Ucn bodies will bolt to robin legs no bother, but ts59 legs won't go on to a robin frame without some drilling. As for using in matches you could use it, ucns boards at 11 inch make a tidy job in the right hands, where the epics and yls are better suited to narrower widths.Yls are popular match boards up here, being used by most of the top end vintage ploughmen, however there is a lad here with epic bodies who is giving them a good run for their money,but not sure what epics they are.
    As for commercial ploughing the ucns would be better as they will plough deeper than both other bodies you mention

Benwales

Yls are popular match boards up here, being used by most of the top end vintage ploughmen, however there is a lad here with epic bodies who is giving them a good run for their money,but not sure what epics they are.
    As for commercial ploughing the ucns would be better as they will plough deeper than both other bodies you mention
    Thanks for the info.

Ref match ploughing, is UCN classic rather than vintage?

What are the approx ploughing depths for YL, EPIC & UCN?

TIA

daveb

Details for depths,widths etc for various Ransomes bodies on the last pages of this book, just click to read .
    http://issuu.com/amberlady/docs/good_ploughing_hi-q

Benwales

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Details for depths, widths etc for various Ransomes bodies on the last pages of this book, just click to read .
    http://issuu.com/amberlady/docs/good_ploughing_hi-q
    Very useful thanks. Mention of UN but which one is UNC?

daveb

Quote Originally Posted by Benwales View Post
    Very useful thanks. Mention of UN but which one is UNC?
    Think that book was before intro of UCN bodies, generally a max of about 10ins deep for UCNs, but they will plough a foot quite happily in some conditions and with wider furrow widths.