Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

essexpete

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Have an oil leak (now there is a surprise) somewhere on the back end the drips mostly come off the area around the joint between centre and rear sections. By that I mean that is where the oil is tending to run. Had a fair wash down tonight and laid underneath and wiped down. For the life of me I can't see from where it is coming. Are there particular areas where these are likely to leak externally? Sat for 1 1/2hr on road about a cupful on the tarmac.
    Thanks

agrimax

Think mine leaks from the top cover gasket and runs down.And possibly from the round side plate gasket,and from the dipstick tube fitting,and from the pump housing.Won't go on.....Doesn't look good on a wet road when hedge cutting but rarely have to top up so it can't be that bad!

JimF

Oil leaks? On an 8340? Never!

I'll get a picture while the back wheel's off this one and it's getting fixed.

Rassiel

I fixed a couple of leaks on mine, and the only one that seems hard to get is coming around the hyd pump, despite its got new gasket and most of the orings around.

Nearly

Worse news than leaks is right hand brake fail, no 'pedal' and no oil leaks onto floor. Brake reservoir has emptied itself into the back end?
    Trumpet off and strip down for seals I think. I'll 'do' the brakes too. Left hand will have to wait till winter. Oh the joys.

JimF

First two of the smaller pipes leaked, then a bigger one to spool valve.

essexpete

I think ours is leaking from more than one spot but the most is from the left side running down the case and also onto the bottom fuel tank bracket. It seems to come from high up. Could it be a leak around the top cover gasket?

Nearly

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly View Post
    Worse news than leaks is right hand brake fail, no 'pedal' and no oil leaks onto floor. Brake reservoir has emptied itself into the back end?
    Trumpet off and strip down for seals I think. I'll 'do' the brakes too. Left hand will have to wait till winter. Oh the joys.
    Could be the seals in the trailer brake valve, fingers crossed.

Anyone a link to a supplier for the front sidelight/ indicator lens and back cover on a late 8340, local stealer's computer 'says no' ?

agrimax

Malpas Online are one supplier listing them.

Nearly

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    Malpas Online are one supplier listing them.
    thanks, should have searched for fiat front lights not new holland.
    left hand 56.75, right hand (the one I want) 62.63, typical.

they're in the sparex catalogue too. getting there.

agrimax

Vapormatic cover them too.Tail light on ebay at the minute also.

essexpete

Marginally better on the leak front having discovered that the top cover studs were particularly loose.

coldy5

hello

the steering on my 8340 is after getting heavy lately. and ideas whats up

turboman

coldy, I had the same problem in my 8340, thought it was steering pump or something. I spoke to the local mechanic and got it fixed in a few seconds. The problem might be caused by the steering column being pushed down into a bearing and that is causing the tightness. Release the catch that locks the steering column , and give it a a quick firm pull upwards. It freed up the bearing and has worked fine since. Might need to give the the steering wheel abit of a knock with the hammer to "shock" it up. If this doesnt solve it, you may need to look at the hydraulic side of things to see if a filters blocked or something.

coldy5

i gave the steering wheel a good pull upwards, and it fixed it

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by coldy5 View Post
    i gave the steering wheel a good pull upwards, and it fixed it
    There is a wire in the casing for the steering collum that binds on the steering shaft. You might want to tie it back some where so it doesn't wear through and catch fire. Unless it is well insured that is.

essexpete

Hardly a day goes by with out an addition to this thread

I am now getting a an intermittent 2-3 bleeps when driving in any mode, field or road. The warning lights do not flash or come on and there are not any error codes.

The Pretender

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Hardly a day goes by with out an addition to this thread

I am now getting a an intermittent 2-3 bleeps when driving in any mode, field or road. The warning lights do not flash or come on and there are not any error codes.
    Low on brake fluid

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    Low on brake fluid
    That was what caused it last time but it does not appear to be low unless there is a sensor fault. Still it is nicer to drive than the 956 even with the beeps!

prongy

That was what caused it last time but it does not appear to be low unless there is a sensor fault. Still it is nicer to drive than the 956 even with the beeps!
    Have you cleaned around the base of the handbrake? A bit debris stopping the switch from fully disconnecting?

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by prongy View Post
    Have you cleaned around the base of the handbrake? A bit debris stopping the switch from fully disconnecting?
    I'll have a proper look but I have given the h/b a quick flick when it doing it and it does not seem to make any difference.

The Pretender

Bring it up to the mark, ours beeps when it sloshes around in the bottle.

Rme639

My fordv8340 has a oil leak , error code 46 is comeing up. Any one have a idea where i should start looking? Seems to be oil spraying battery .i took out floor n pannel but cant see any leaks

Rassiel

Quote Originally Posted by Rme639 View Post
    My fordv8340 has a oil leak , error code 46 is comeing up. Any one have a idea where i should start looking? Seems to be oil spraying battery .i took out floor n pannel but cant see any leaks
    E46 is fuse 12 blown.
    Behind the battery you will find the oil lines for oil cooling and steering. Also you will find the oil cooler bypass valve, the side cover with the solenoids.... There is some nuts around there. Move the battery and check.

essexpete

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    Bring it up to the mark, ours beeps when it sloshes around in the bottle.
    OK I'll see if that works.

maxxum 125

Evening all, anyone found a suppler of the dog cluches in the 4WD unit for an R reg 7740 which don't cost the earth? as mine have rounded off!

HES group were good for a front axel crown wheel and pinion for a cararo

thanks

JohnB_IE

Can you square them up with a grinder.

maxxum 125

have done that before/ built them up ect with the 83 but with some one else driving i feel it ought to be done right

agrimax

Built mine up with the welder and ground off square with the grinder.Working fine so far.

tiptop

can any body tell me why my hydraulic lift lever in the cab is sprung loaded and why the spring is pulling the lift lever to max lift? ive moved the draft lever but no change, its a 7840 sle but not elec links. i can see a spring on the linkage from the back but cant make out why it want to put lift lever to max all the time i have to put lift lever under the stop to stop it lifting to max all the time,