Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Want to put a rasperry pi in my 7840 SLE digital dashboard and need some reliable 12V. Preferrably direct from the battery so I don't reboot when I have to switch off the ignition to restart the tractor after a stall (DIY GPS system). The loom is pretty tightly wound with tape and I'd like to keep it in its original condition as long as possible. An alternative location could be the right B-post where the monitor mount is. (I'd rather mount my stuff with neodyme magnets on the nice metal dashboard). Any idea where to look? I don't have any schematics on the electrical system.

The 7740 has developed a problem with the travel speed reading, used to work fine but this last month it's not been reading right. It some time reads 0 or 6 mph even going flat out. Has any one experienced this before or have an idea where to look for the problem?
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    The 7740 has developed a problem with the travel speed reading, used to work fine but this last month it's not been reading right. It some time reads 0 or 6 mph even going flat out. Has any one experienced this before or have an idea where to look for the problem?
    IRC radar is located on left side behind the engine oil filter or about. The other speed reading is on the transmission, left side, behind the diesel tank.

Thanks for that will check it out in the day light tomorrow

The radar is the ONLY reading the tractor will be using.
    If you unplug it you will have to reset the dashboard constant to the number that corresponds to the tyre size.
    So check the plugs/wiring etc for the radr, but DON'T look into it while it is plugged in and powered!!!

I had a look around the oil filter today and couldn't really see anything that looks like a radar. Does any one have a clue what It looks like because I don't is it pointing down to the deck or forward or summit. I moved of with her today and it registered up to 10.6 mph and stuck at that speed until I stopped her then when I started up again it just displayed the engine RPM and wouldn't display any mph.

I had a look around the oil filter today and couldn't really see anything that looks like a radar. Does any one have a clue what It looks like because I don't is it pointing down to the deck or forward or summit. I moved of with her today and it registered up to 10.6 mph and stuck at that speed until I stopped her then when I started up again it just displayed the engine RPM and wouldn't display any mph.
    Radar will be bolted to the bellhousing, right hand (off) side, pointing at the ground. Facing backwards at about a 45 deg angle. Appox 4 inches square and a foot long.
    Try unplugging it first and see what speed readings you get on the dash then. Speeds won't be correct (unless you alter the dash cal) but at least you will see if they are consistant.

I
    Its a black plastic box, sat at about 45 degrees pointing down, usually near front of cab near engine. it may have been taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    I
    Its a black plastic box, sat at about 45 degrees pointing down, usually near front of cab near engine. it may have been taken off.
    Yep think it's gone I've looked a. Few times now but can't see anything. Must be getting it's speed from somewhere else.

Just bought a 98 7840 SLE Special, the question is where do you bolt the the wrapper cable spools/ baler brackets on the right hand side with all that plastic (want it to be solid)? Seen someone bolt a home made bracket for something instead of the blanking plate where the knobs for the electric linkage on full SLE models go ,but does it screw into metal or plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexta man View Post
    Just bought a 98 7840 SLE Special, the question is where do you bolt the the wrapper cable spools/ baler brackets on the right hand side with all that plastic (want it to be solid)? Seen someone bolt a home made bracket for something instead of the blanking plate where the knobs for the electric linkage on full SLE models go ,but does it screw into metal or plastic?
    Wasn't there a couple of M10 threaded bolts on the little flat surface back near the RH rear corner post?? One of the models had them thru the plastic with metal spacers.

Also wasn't there some in the centre post, or was the the later 60 series

ff

Apparently due to a 2day grass demo/show the dealer is busy filling orders so the delivery of the tractor has been postponed until end of next week

I've seen a couple in breakers yards with the bits I'm missing, my question is if I got my hands on a digital dash, radar and pto speed sensor (while I'm at it collecting parts) how hard would it be to convert my one from analogue to digital/would it be possible to do (surely the castings are the same with extra mounting points or is the computer "brain box" different as well? ) ?

After 2 years of searching for a low hour 6cyl tractor in wales for a reasonable price I couldn't be fussy about something like the dash (if you're wondering why)

my question is if I got my hands on a digital dash, radar and pto speed sensor (while I'm at it collecting parts) how hard would it be to convert my one from analogue to digital/would it be possible to do (surely the castings are the same with extra mounting points or is the computer "brain box" different as well? ) ?
    Being a '98 model, it would have the later type Borletti analog/digital dash. If im not wrong, (at least on SLE models), that dash would display ground and pto speeds.
    On SLE models there is no difference in the computers despite having digital or analog/digital dash (or at least they have the same part number). AFAIK the only difference is the harness behind the dash (i think its called extension harness). All the rest of the loom is the same. The one i got ('95 SLE with VDO analog/digital dash) even its got the plugs for radar, engine and trans pressure etc, sensors used in the full digital dash.
    You dont need the radar for measuring ground speed (its for the slip control), and there is no such pto speed sensor, the dash just calculates the speed of the pto comparing the engine rpms.

Apparently due to a 2day grass demo/show the dealer is busy filling orders so the delivery of the tractor has been postponed until end of next week

I've seen a couple in breakers yards with the bits I'm missing, my question is if I got my hands on a digital dash, radar and pto speed sensor (while I'm at it collecting parts) how hard would it be to convert my one from analogue to digital/would it be possible to do (surely the castings are the same with extra mounting points or is the computer "brain box" different as well? ) ?

After 2 years of searching for a low hour 6cyl tractor in wales for a reasonable price I couldn't be fussy about something like the dash (if you're wondering why)
    Only 2 years?? I've spent 25 years looking round dealers yards In west Wales for decent tractors/telehandlers for a reasonable price.
    Why do livestock farmers treat their tractors like they hate them?.Very controversial timhaven

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    Only 2 years?? I've spent 25 years looking round dealers yards In west Wales for decent tractors/telehandlers for a reasonable price.
    Why do livestock farmers treat their tractors like they hate them?.Very controversial timhaven
    <<<<<< not all livestock farmers , but yes I agree with you and I'll add the ones that look after them (10+ year old) (90% of the time) only sell them when their so worn out their only fit for another year/export.

Quote Originally Posted by Rassiel View Post
    Being a '98 model, it would have the later type Borletti analog/digital dash. If im not wrong, (at least on SLE models), that dash would display ground and pto speeds.
    On SLE models there is no difference in the computers despite having digital or analog/digital dash (or at least they have the same part number). AFAIK the only difference is the harness behind the dash (i think its called extension harness). All the rest of the loom is the same. The one i got ('95 SLE with VDO analog/digital dash) even its got the plugs for radar, engine and trans pressure etc, sensors used in the full digital dash.
    You dont need the radar for measuring ground speed (its for the slip control), and there is no such pto speed sensor, the dash just calculates the speed of the pto comparing the engine rpms.
    So I would only need to modify part of the harness (cables for oil pressure, etc part of the loom already "warning light cables by any chance have analogue output voltage so can show exact pressure, etc"?) or i might get lucky and find out NH didn't bother with a cut down loom.

I saw the gear chart in the window and 540/1000 marked on the rev counter so I didn't bother look at the small digital screens when testing pto and gears (had quck glimpse to see which gear I was in but I didn't bother studying the other) you live and learn

[QTE=Rassiel;29485]Gearbox and EHC calibrations.
    After tweaking the shuttle cables decide to make a clutch pack calibration.
    On Quad models like mine proceed:
    Engne off, parking d hold clucth, upsdownshift, start engine and cal would appear on the instrument cluster screen.
    Release buttons. Move all levers forward (F, 5th, hi range). If you put high range u will calibrate c3 and c4 clutch packs, leave it at neutral c1 and c2.
    Set engine speed to 1200, release clutch tractor shouldnt move.
    Now hold upshift to calibrate first clutch pack, same procedure (after finish first) with downshift for calibrating the other clutch pack.
    Once you are holding the pwershift button numbers will start to increase on the screen. Minimun is 120 max is 180. When the numbers stop increasing clutch pack is calibrated.
    Mine went mid 140s for c1 and c2, mid 150 for c3 c4, so they should be at half life. .[/QUOTE]

Drove the tractor 13 ish miles home and I thought the gears were a bit harsh so I tried to calibrate it but I couldn't get Cal to display (I held down the clutch and up shifted/downshifted to no avail) where should the shuttle and range lever be when doing this? Also only when i change from 4 to 5 it crunches before it is properly in would this mean that the cable needs adjustment, its fine when going straight into 5th before starting off and changing down to 4th?

Can't see any mounting points strong enough for what I want so I'll try to bolt through to the wing somewhere .

It does have the speed screen, I can see km/m light up when turning key from stop but it goes dead after
    Last edited by Dexta man; 12-06-14 at 07:33 PM.

Sorry to be a pain on this thread but i think i worked out what causes the crunch going into 5, when I change down to 4 because of deceleration/gravity (down hill) my body is pushed forward and more of my weight is put onto the pedal pushing it more down (bottom), so I moved the seat forward and pushed the pedal right down to the bottom when shifting and it didn't crunch but 1 mm (fells like) higher and it crunches so I only need to adjust the clutch (hope that helps anyone who has the same problem). Can't wait to try the baler , hope the sun will be shinning

P.s. Thanks for the replys to my previous questions Mr.Dexta-7840 esquire

Sorry to be a pain on this thread but i think i worked out what causes the crunch going into 5, when I change down to 4 because of deceleration/gravity (down hill) my body is pushed forward and more of my weight is put onto the pedal pushing it more down (bottom), so I moved the seat forward and pushed the pedal right down to the bottom when shifting and it didn't crunch but 1 mm (fells like) higher and it crunches so I only need to adjust the clutch (hope that helps anyone who has the same problem). Can't wait to try the baler , hope the sun will be shinning

P.s. Thanks for the replys to my previous questions Mr.Dexta-7840 esquire

You could be right? but isn't a SLE the old pre-TM-pre-60series?? with a clutch pedal operating switches?? If it is its a matter of needing to adjust the bottom of travel switch?

Blimey, going back a bit now!! really need someone like rassiel or prongey to confirm

ff

Here's a picture of her today and the makeshift radio aerial that came with her (radio works by the way) gave me a good laugh (had to look twice at it), as you can see the blue needs re spraying but except for that it's a tidy machine, I even found out it has a working turnable air seat fitted .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey there!.
    As far as i know there is no way of adjusting the bite point of these clutches, or at least not in an easy way. With the service tool and entering the service menus you can modify a bit the sharpeness of the clutch, but is more about the gearchanges tham the bite point.
    As FF said, maybe you can modify somehow the clutch botton switch to act a bit earlier (putting something where its actuated by the pedal).
    To ensure that grinding is you not fully presing the clutch and not the 4-5th synchro or bad lever adjustment, try to change from 4 to 5th using the clutch button on the shuttle rather tham clutch (while moving). On mine i drilled a hole on the gear lever, fitted a switch on the back of it, and wired it to the shuttle button, so i got the clucht on both levers . Works, but its a bit slow engaging drive after you press the button.

Hey there!.
    As far as i know there is no way of adjusting the bite point of these clutches, or at least not in an easy way. With the service tool and entering the service menus you can modify a bit the sharpeness of the clutch, but is more about the gearchanges tham the bite point.
    As FF said, maybe you can modify somehow the clutch botton switch to act a bit earlier (putting something where its actuated by the pedal).
    To ensure that grinding is you not fully presing the clutch and not the 4-5th synchro or bad lever adjustment, try to change from 4 to 5th using the clutch button on the shuttle rather tham clutch (while moving). On mine i drilled a hole on the gear lever, fitted a switch on the back of it, and wired it to the shuttle button, so i got the clucht on both levers . Works, but its a bit slow engaging drive after you press the button.
    Tried today from 4 to 5 it still crunched but not as bad (just a tad), but when i tried it from 5 to 4 there was no crunch.
    Could this be the combination of the lever needing adjusting there for making the gear crunch and also the clutch needing calibration there fore making the crunch quite a bit worse ?

In other news I used it for mowing today and even dad (6cyl skeptic) was impressed when it climbed our steepest (hay ish) field with a 9ft conditioner disk mower (too overgrown for life stock so not really a hay field, it wasn't grazed as reasently and actually had a as good/better crop than the hay fields that were also fertilized. We only do 1 cut) without changing engine note, changing speed and it didn't smoke at all. Also it would start the mower with no bother

Hi, I have a 7840 sl dp 1995 and it's started to run hotter than normal, over 90 degrees. It had a new thermostat in April. The radiators are clear and the water pump was replaced 18 months ago. I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the viscous fan on the 40 series?

Dexta man, hows the grinding?. Does it grind when you are moving the lever, or it grinds after you moved the lever and you release the clutch or button?
    If its while you are moving the lever im afraid, but that points that the 5th gear synchro is worm. Otherwise cable needs adjustment.

Ford7610
    have you checked that the temperature is really raising and is not a problem from the sensor (using a thermometer, for example).
    Normally when viscous fans fail tend to stay on full engaged position. You can check to move the fan blades with both the tractor cold and hot, you should see a noticeable difference in the force needed to move it from cold (less force), to hot.
    Have you checked the coolant level-condition, and bleeded the system?

Been just mowing again today with the 7840, when I was about to finish either E29 or 28 (not 100% sure) came on ,after taking note of it I turned the tractor off, restarted it and the error was gone in the next field (nearly finished again) and error E41 came up so I took note (picture this time to be sure), turned it off and then restarted it and it was gone again. What do these mean? Should I be concerned or is it not that serious that they went off and it's the first time I've seen them?

Dexta man, hows the grinding?. Does it grind when you are moving the lever, or it grinds after you moved the lever and you release the clutch or button?
    If its while you are moving the lever im afraid, but that points that the 5th gear synchro is worm. Otherwise cable needs adjustment.

Ford7610
    have you checked that the temperature is really raising and is not a problem from the sensor (using a thermometer, for example).
    Normally when viscous fans fail tend to stay on full engaged position. You can check to move the fan blades with both the tractor cold and hot, you should see a noticeable difference in the force needed to move it from cold (less force), to hot.
    Have you checked the coolant level-condition, and bleeded the system?
    Just seen your post, its while moving , noticed that the tractor rocks when the clutch is down (stop to change from 4th to 1st) while changing the power shift gears like it's at biting point also it was warm after bailing would this contribute or is the syncro definitely worn?

I haven't checked the temperature properly but when you turn the heater on in the cab the temp gauge comes down a bit. The coolant is 50/50 water / anti freeze and is full with some in the expansion/header tank. I'm certain there's no air in there. I tried moving the fan and it was free to move but that was about an hour after being parked up. We haven't used it today, put the mower on the other tractor. I need to warm it up again and see if I can move the fan then. Thanks for the advice.

Been just mowing again today with the 7840, when I was about to finish either E29 or 28 (not 100% sure) came on ,after taking note of it I turned the tractor off, restarted it and the error was gone in the next field (nearly finished again) and error E41 came up so I took note (picture this time to be sure), turned it off and then restarted it and it was gone again. What do these mean? Should I be concerned or is it not that serious that they went off and it's the first time I've seen them?
    E28/29 don't exist for the quad mod gear box.(They do for the pre-quad). Could it have been E38 or 39?
    E38 is C4 clutch solenoid short circuit and E39 is C4 clutch solenoid open circuit.
    E41 is C3 clutch solenoid open circuit. Sounds like a bad connection somewhere.Probably in a multiplug near the battery.

Just been reading another thread and came to the decision that I need to do some thing about the PUH on the 7740. Has any one done one and has any tips, is there a kit or just strip it down drill out the hole and make new pins.

Just been reading another thread and came to the decision that I need to do some thing about the PUH on the 7740. Has any one done one and has any tips, is there a kit or just strip it down drill out the hole and make new pins.
    Wasn't there a few pages in classic tractors or tractors and machinery on how to refurbish (step by step) a 40 series pick up hitch a while back? (It'll probably show suppliers for the parts)