Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Results 361 to 388 of 388

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

  1. #361
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    cork
    Posts
    3

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Hello.
    Lately I'm having trouble changing up gear from 4 up to 5. The lever pops back out of 5 and I have to juggle it a few time to get it to stay in. I've checked the linkages are fine and when I looked in the top of the box there seems to be a lot of play between the cogs.
    Is it a complete strip down of the box to sort it ?

  2. #362
    Junior Member FordFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Posts
    5

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Evening fellas, im looking to up the tyre size on my 7840.... she currently has 380/85 r28 on the front and 18.4 r38 on the rear! i was thinking of going to 520/85 r38 and wondered if the ratio would be ok? cheers

  3. #363
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Our 8340 has 520 70 38 and 420 70 28 combination. It still suffers from wind up on a hard surface.

  4. #364
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    NH 7840 engine oil pressure.
    Every so often oil pressure bargraph drops to zero, and STOP flashes on the dashboard. Only started doing it recently, and after about 10 seconds, all returns to normal, with bargraph up to 6/7 bars. Today it continued with low pressure warning for about 30 seconds before returning to normal. Starting to get concerned. I assume it's the oil pressure sender at fault. Hope it's nothing more serious. Any thoughts ?

    TIA.

  5. #365
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    NH 7840 engine oil pressure.
    Every so often oil pressure bargraph drops to zero, and STOP flashes on the dashboard. Only started doing it recently, and after about 10 seconds, all returns to normal, with bargraph up to 6/7 bars. Today it continued with low pressure warning for about 30 seconds before returning to normal. Starting to get concerned. I assume it's the oil pressure sender at fault. Hope it's nothing more serious. Any thoughts ?

    TIA.
    10 series used to do that when there was a bad connection between the sender and loom connectors. I expect the 40series is the same having the pricey sender for the bargraph and a simple pressure switch for the warning light. Check the connector near the sender and also look for a fractured wire making and breaking
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  6. #366
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    10 series used to do that when there was a bad connection between the sender and loom connectors. I expect the 40series is the same having the pricey sender for the bargraph and a simple pressure switch for the warning light. Check the connector near the sender and also look for a fractured wire making and breaking
    Thanks for that.....I'll look into it.

  7. #367
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    west wales
    Posts
    414

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Yup......chaffed wires by the bulkhead. Thanks for your help FF.

  8. #368
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Hello all, I'm looking for some help on my 7740 and it seems to be a popular unit with y'all across the pond.

    I've got 2 SLE's with 16x16's with the "quad mod". Both of them have burned up synchros and clutches, and I've been completely through both of them. Over the past two years I've been fighting nagging issues with hard shifts and poor feathering. I've gone through calibration steps several times with each, and I've seen improvement in some areas. Now, however, I've got one tractor that wouldn't feather in 1st, 3rd, 5th or 7th, so obvious conclusion is to go through spring pressure calibration of C3/C4 clutches, but the calibration steps kept bringing up C1/C2 instead. Now, after going through the wiring harnesses, repairing a few broken wires and cleaning up connections, now I can't get it to go into calibration mode at all. Holding both powershift buttons at start up doesn't seem to work like it should. I've traced wires, I've checked connections and continuity, but I'm stuck.

    I can make it enter a calibration mode with a switch in the diagnostic port in the dash, toggling through the HH-H9 menus, but still having zero luck making spring pressure calibrations.

    Anyone come across an issue like this? My service manual offers troubleshooting for every possible scenario, except when the computer doesn't act like it should...

  9. #369
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    south west
    Posts
    27

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    are you sure youve got the right calibration info for a quad mod 16/16 as its different to the earlier ones ,

  10. #370
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Irl
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Howdy all.

    Have a 7840 with the manual box, synchro box. We are having problems selecting reverse in our 7840 Ford at home. It goes into forward and neutral, but it wont go into reverse. Have adjusted it etc etc but nothing.
    It will just go in and roll maybe 5mm the odd time in reverse and nothing again, but it is not engaging properly at all when it does roll slightly.

    Anybody have a few pointers on what maybe is causing it? Cheers

  11. #371
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Enniskillen co.fermanagh
    Posts
    11

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Have a 92 8340 sle , 9k hours been trying to calibrate gearbox but I can only get it to calibrate c3 and c4 what exactly do I need todo to calibrate c1 c2 , ??? Thanks

  12. #372
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Are talking about the calibration without the extra plug in switch? If you are then IIRR start the calibration process with the 2 range levers forward. Press both buttons on the middle lever and start the engine. Release buttons and push the shuttle lever forward. You should see 'cal' on dash. run the tractor close to 1200rpm (incidentally the transmission needs to be warm). Press one of the shift buttons for one clutch then follow with the other. To get to the other 2 clutches you will need to pull back the far range lever to neutral and repeat. I hope I have this right, I could check later. ( It may be the 1-4/5-8 shifting lever to neutral)

  13. #373
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Enniskillen co.fermanagh
    Posts
    11

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Are talking about the calibration without the extra plug in switch? If you are then IIRR start the calibration process with the 2 range levers forward. Press both buttons on the middle lever and start the engine. Release buttons and push the shuttle lever forward. You should see 'cal' on dash. run the tractor close to 1200rpm (incidentally the transmission needs to be warm). Press one of the shift buttons for one clutch then follow with the other. To get to the other 2 clutches you will need to pull back the far range lever to neutral and repeat. I hope I have this right, I could check later. ( It may be the 1-4/5-8 shifting lever to neutral)
    Yeah without plug in switch , have tried with farm range lever in neutral position (tortoise and hair one ) I think it's u25 error appears ,

  14. #374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    367

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Had a 92 8240 for a number of years and should know about the calibration nonsense but seem to forget somewhat......However, although the manual suggests C1/2 can be calibrated the same way as 3 and 4 only with the high/low lever in neutral,I never did get it to work. C1/2 automatically calibrates whilst in use and I think can only be manually calibrated with the plug in switch.
    I do remember code u25 coming up and it means high/low lever not in high range which is where I didn't want it to be anyway!! Cursed thing.......Went red after that....

  15. #375
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Enniskillen co.fermanagh
    Posts
    11

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    Had a 92 8240 for a number of years and should know about the calibration nonsense but seem to forget somewhat......However, although the manual suggests C1/2 can be calibrated the same way as 3 and 4 only with the high/low lever in neutral,I never did get it to work. C1/2 automatically calibrates whilst in use and I think can only be manually calibrated with the plug in switch.
    I do remember code u25 coming up and it means high/low lever not in high range which is where I didn't want it to be anyway!! Cursed thing.......Went red after that....
    yeah exactly what I mean , glad it's not only me then , don't have big issues with jumpy gears just nice to have them smooth as possible , not quite sure I'd have the heart to go red though haha

  16. #376
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Namibia
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
    Towards the end of the 40 series they offered SLE specials , these were basic spec i.e analogue dash mechanical lift but sle transmission we sold alot of these they were a cheaper option.

    The charge pump has a brass drive shaft with an o-ring on it which wears and let oil bypass losing pressure , the shaft it quite expensive and the o-ring isn't supplied seprately.
    Hi Stormin.
    I appologise for contacting you directly but we have a problem with our tractor Ford 8340 sle and need help please. My brother in law cannot find anybody to fix this machine in Namibia. After spending hours on internet I see you come highly recommended and would like your e mail address so that my brother in law can contact you directly with his problem {he is not a fan of internet} My e mail address is: sds@iway.na
    Thanking you sincerly for your help and support

    Kind regards

    Dieter Lehnerdt {Chevybuster}

  17. #377
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    367

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Hi Chevy, After having a look and it seems Stormin hasn't been on this forum since September 2014.

  18. #378
    Junior Member Limousin96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Hi everybody, I'm having trouble with my 8340 overheating. Shes a 95 model, blue cab grey chassis, with sle.
    She first overheated at the end of last harvest due to numpty-boy here letting the radiator block with grass. She had new radiator cap because the old rubber had cracked and a new thermostat. Also added new coolant.
    I thought this had solved it until i put the baler on again this year. Starting from cold, shell bale about 100 bales before she begins to overheat and boils over. I did wonder whether system needs bleeding ( if so how do you do it), otherwise anyone else got any other ideas.
    Cheers

  19. #379
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,103

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Limousin96 View Post
    Hi everybody, I'm having trouble with my 8340 overheating. Shes a 95 model, blue cab grey chassis, with sle.
    She first overheated at the end of last harvest due to numpty-boy here letting the radiator block with grass. She had new radiator cap because the old rubber had cracked and a new thermostat. Also added new coolant.
    I thought this had solved it until i put the baler on again this year. Starting from cold, shell bale about 100 bales before she begins to overheat and boils over. I did wonder whether system needs bleeding ( if so how do you do it), otherwise anyone else got any other ideas.
    Cheers
    Stating the obvious but have you pulled out the aircon and oil cooling exchangers in front of the rad?

  20. #380
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Co Down
    Posts
    367

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    And the radiator actually removed from the tractor to clean it properly? It might be blocked internally too.

  21. #381
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Wild West
    Posts
    33

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Morning all,

    Just picked up a 1998 8340 for my parents and drove it home on Saturday. All went well for the first few hours but I stopped to fill with diesel and when I went to drive on again the transmission oil pressure light came on and wouldn't go out. I stopped for about 3/4 hour and it went out and I drove on again. However I stopped for a call of nature a few hours further on (left the engine running this time) and light was on when I got back it. Had to leave it about an hour and a half at that stage and was just about to abandon it in a farmyard when it went out again and I drove on home. An odd time at traffic light and roundabout it would come on again but went out when I drove on. I was on the big 6 cylinder page on Facebook while I was stopped the second time and found out the bypass valve for the transmission oil cooler seems to be gone as there is no oil going through the cooler. Also checked all the filters and they are tight. Anyhow I started it last night and light is staying on with everything cold. Its fitted with a loader and when you come to the end of travel it gets whiney. Oil level is actually a bit above the full mark. I'll order a bypass valve but I'm thinking that's not going to put the light out. Anybody have this problem before or know where to go next?

  22. #382
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by humding View Post
    Morning all,

    Just picked up a 1998 8340 for my parents and drove it home on Saturday. All went well for the first few hours but I stopped to fill with diesel and when I went to drive on again the transmission oil pressure light came on and wouldn't go out. I stopped for about 3/4 hour and it went out and I drove on again. However I stopped for a call of nature a few hours further on (left the engine running this time) and light was on when I got back it. Had to leave it about an hour and a half at that stage and was just about to abandon it in a farmyard when it went out again and I drove on home. An odd time at traffic light and roundabout it would come on again but went out when I drove on. I was on the big 6 cylinder page on Facebook while I was stopped the second time and found out the bypass valve for the transmission oil cooler seems to be gone as there is no oil going through the cooler. Also checked all the filters and they are tight. Anyhow I started it last night and light is staying on with everything cold. Its fitted with a loader and when you come to the end of travel it gets whiney. Oil level is actually a bit above the full mark. I'll order a bypass valve but I'm thinking that's not going to put the light out. Anybody have this problem before or know where to go next?

    We had and early pre-quad mod have the wax-stat valve drop out while destoning- it cooked the whole machine making every oring eventually leak.

    If your sure the trans cooler is cold and theres no oil circulating thru it then the valve IIRC is on the RH side of the gearbox about in line with the bellhousing/cab steps.

    If its still the same it was like the inner bit of a standard engine waxstat modified to do the oil cooler bypass.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  23. #383
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Missouri U.S.A
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Hello, I have a 1994 7840 SLE. I have been loosing brake fluid out of the reservoir, but do not have a external leak anywhere. Tractor stops well as always but, if I leave my foot on the pedal it will fade. Is it possible to bypass the trailer brake valve so that I am only sending fluid to the tractors brakes? Would like to do a process of elimination as I do not want to tear the axle housings off and rebuild the brakes only to still have the same problem and it wind up being something in the trailer brake valve.

  24. #384
    Senior Member Footsfitter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Basingstoke, Hants
    Posts
    2,396

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Barfarms View Post
    Hello, I have a 1994 7840 SLE. I have been loosing brake fluid out of the reservoir, but do not have a external leak anywhere. Tractor stops well as always but, if I leave my foot on the pedal it will fade. Is it possible to bypass the trailer brake valve so that I am only sending fluid to the tractors brakes? Would like to do a process of elimination as I do not want to tear the axle housings off and rebuild the brakes only to still have the same problem and it wind up being something in the trailer brake valve.
    Brake fluid will go to each axle trumpet housing and there will be another supply to the trailer brake valve, if no external leaks there then it is highly likely that you have an internal seal on one or both pistons in the axle housing. The pedal dropping under pressure will be an indication of this, you may find that unlocking the pedals and trying one at a time will point to the one leaking although it would be prudent to reseal both sides.

    Looks like you have to get in and reseal it.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

  25. #385
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Hi, I have read through the posts on the clutch pack calibrations but no on e mentions how to do the "Trim" after the "Cal" is done. I have a 1999 ts100 sle. It is very jumpy between gears 2/3 and 6/7 and I am told it is "trim" that will take it out of it. I have Been working the tractor for hours so temperatures should be high enough but after cal I have tried to get it to do the Trim and only get U24. Any ideas anyone?

  26. #386
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Good morning guys, i have just bought an 8340 SLE blue roof and i'm looking for an operators manual.
    Could anyone help me?

  27. #387
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    5

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Having trouble with my 8340, '98 SLE model. this morning went to start the tractor and it fired up for a second and shut down and then just cranked over but wouldn't start again. I checked all fuses and none were blown. Tried it again and it started and I was able to use it for a few hours working just fine. Now this evening it won't start again, well it fires up for a second then shuts down and just cranks and cranks. Tested batteries and cleaned cables and even put a jumper wire on the shut off solenoid and still won't start.

    The real confusing part is yesterday I noticed it reset tractor hours on the display and the speed reading is showing faster than it used to. Also when trying to start it it displays fuel level and hours first as default instead of oil pressure and engine rpms.

    Any ideas? Is there a computer or diagnosis port on these tractors?
    Thanks.

  28. #388
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    1

    Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

    Quote Originally Posted by humding View Post
    Morning all,

    Just picked up a 1998 8340 for my parents and drove it home on Saturday. All went well for the first few hours but I stopped to fill with diesel and when I went to drive on again the transmission oil pressure light came on and wouldn't go out. I stopped for about 3/4 hour and it went out and I drove on again. However I stopped for a call of nature a few hours further on (left the engine running this time) and light was on when I got back it. Had to leave it about an hour and a half at that stage and was just about to abandon it in a farmyard when it went out again and I drove on home. An odd time at traffic light and roundabout it would come on again but went out when I drove on. I was on the big 6 cylinder page on Facebook while I was stopped the second time and found out the bypass valve for the transmission oil cooler seems to be gone as there is no oil going through the cooler. Also checked all the filters and they are tight. Anyhow I started it last night and light is staying on with everything cold. Its fitted with a loader and when you come to the end of travel it gets whiney. Oil level is actually a bit above the full mark. I'll order a bypass valve but I'm thinking that's not going to put the light out. Anybody have this problem before or know where to go next?
    My 7840 has developed the exact same problem. Did you sort yours out? Thanks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •