Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Rassiel

Ford New Holland 40 series help thread

Thread for Ford New Holland 40 series owners 8240 7840 7740 6640.

Here is my tractor:

Rassiel

Re: Ford New Holland 8340 SLE help thread

Here i go.
    The first problem i found was the shuttle lever not working right.
    Found that the reverse gear sometimes didnt engage very well, crunching when u release the clutch pedal as gear wasnt at its full travel.
    So as been adviced here removed floor mat (no tools needed), remove the 10 10mm hex bolts retaining floor plate and you will find 2 cables.
    The one on left is the 4-5 gears, the right one is the shuttle cable.
    Seems the problem with the shuttle was on the cables. The bolts that hold the collar in place were a bit loose but not too much. Retightened em and became better but still had difficulty on shifting reverse. Found that only crunched when you try to engage reverse and the lever is not at its full travel and you release clutch.
    If you have problems engaging reverse you will have to adjust the lever to stay a bit more forward and allow it to give more reverse travel. Loose the collar retaining bolts, loose the collar locknut.
    If you need to make more reverse travel on the lever u will have to rotate the collar in the direction that aproaches the locking nut you have just loose. If you need forward travel (Forward on the shuttle giving trouble) you will have to rotate on the opposite direction.
    I passed from difficult reverse to no forward in a little more tham 1 turn, its a narrow adjustment.
    Try in steps of 1/6 of turn until works good on both directions.

As older it gets the adjutment will become narrower as you will have wear on the pins that hold the cable on place.
    Leave it too long crunching and expect a good bill replacing the synchro

Rassiel

Gearbox and EHC calibrations.
    After tweaking the shuttle cables decide to make a clutch pack calibration.
    On Quad models like mine proceed:
    Engine off, parking brake on, press and hold clucth, upshift and downshift, start engine and cal would appear on the instrument cluster screen.
    Release buttons. Move all levers forward (F, 5th, hi range). If you put high range u will calibrate c3 and c4 clutch packs, leave it at neutral c1 and c2.
    Set engine speed to 1200, release clutch tractor shouldnt move.
    Now hold upshift to calibrate first clutch pack, same procedure (after finish first) with downshift for calibrating the other clutch pack.
    Once you are holding the pwershift button numbers will start to increase on the screen. Minimun is 120 max is 180. When the numbers stop increasing clutch pack is calibrated.
    Mine went mid 140s for c1 and c2, mid 150 for c3 c4, so they should be at half life.
    Electronic lift AUTOCALIBRATION:
    My lift was out of calibration, dint showed less tham 23 on the lift screen being the arms at lower travel, also dint have fender controls working. An autocalibration set it back to work.
    Press in cab fast raise lower switch to lower. Turn key on but do not start engine.
    Go out the tractor and disconect left or right position potentiometer. Its a round plug with 3 wires on it.
    You will hear the buzzer inside the tractor warming you error code 25. Now reconnect the potentiometer. Turn key off then start tractor. Error code 24 will appear and hitch disabled light will flash.
    Turn all knobs on the hitch control panel full clockwise. Set engine speed to 1100. Now move the hitch position lever slowly up and dow until the hitch disabled light goes off.
    Move lever full back and 99 position should be displayed. Now to position has been calibrated.
    Move lever full forward past the mechanical detent, hitch disabled light will flash again, move lever back until light goes off again. Now move lever full forward to the mechanical detent. Thats the point where full lower has benn calibrated. 0 will be displayed.
    Now move lever until 70-90 height, leave it for a while. Hitch will move up to 3 times doing some calibrations. Move full back until 99 appears on the screen.
    Hitch calibrated.
    Now i tested fender controls, they worked fine, but found that u have to move the hitch full up from the fenders, move the control lever full back to restore the lever control?
    I dont have the owners book, just the workshop manual so if there is any other way to restore control from fenders would be welcome.

Sleepy

Can someone explain how that gearbox works? I have been looking at it for 10 minutes and still can't figure it out.

What is the lever furthest away from driver, what are the buttons on the 1234 - 5678 stick for and what is the rocker switch on the dash behind it for?

davidroberts30

nearest lever is throttle
    next is f/r
    next is semi powershift 1234,then5678 after moving lever forward
    then there is hi/low

nashmach

Rocker switch is for creep gears IIRC.

Rassiel

Rocker switch is fast raise-lower for the elctronic hitch

Sleepy

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    nearest lever is throttle
    next is f/r
    next is semi powershift 1234,then5678 after moving lever forward
    then there is hi/low
    Oh I see so the 1234 / 5678 lever only has two positions but then the buttons do the powershifts. That was what was confusing me

Willscale

Is this a 40 series help thread? Good. Can I ask a couple of questions. I'm really crap on tractors.

My 7740 blue cab sl done 8500 hours. Really good condition but a couple of things.

The clutch of late seems very slow having let off the foot pedal. I have calibrated her over the years is that all you can do? It seems to be lacking a bit of bite so is there anything else to do? There are no clutch plates are there so nothing to replace

Hydraulic lift - she really struggled to lift the spud planter this year except when I shunt forward she tends to lift a little bit more. Is this a sign that the pump is on the way out or maybe the oil is a little old?

Its increasingly difficult to get it into gear as well. Tending not to slide in so smoothly it is greased under the box pretty often.

I plan to keep it until 14000 hours so any tips on keeping them ship shape would be good I think they won't go down in value anymore.

Rassiel

Is this dual power transmission?
    Is the hitch electronic? If so ill post later how to autocalibrate it, but i would say its wear.

fermerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    Is this a 40 series help thread? Good. Can I ask a couple of questions. I'm really crap on tractors.

My 7740 blue cab sl done 8500 hours. Really good condition but a couple of things.

The clutch of late seems very slow having let off the foot pedal. I have calibrated her over the years is that all you can do? It seems to be lacking a bit of bite so is there anything else to do? There are no clutch plates are there so nothing to replace

Hydraulic lift - she really struggled to lift the spud planter this year except when I shunt forward she tends to lift a little bit more. Is this a sign that the pump is on the way out or maybe the oil is a little old?

Its increasingly difficult to get it into gear as well. Tending not to slide in so smoothly it is greased under the box pretty often.

I plan to keep it until 14000 hours so any tips on keeping them ship shape would be good I think they won't go down in value anymore.
    Sounds like the clutch pack is on the way out. :cry: :cry:
    It could be a sticky solenoid valve though, proper investigations before sending any money.
    The forward reverse clutch is also the dual power pack on the SL.
    They tend to get sluggish and also difficult to get in gear from standstill when the pack is kaput.
    The plates inside warp and won't lie flat causing the drag, this also causes them to wear out and resist being squeezed together making the take up a bit slow.

Calibration will help a bit along with tweaking the fill times, but really its short term.

Dual power pack comes out of the gearbox into the bellhousing so needs split, but other than that its not a bad job.

Hyd pump could be a bit down by the sound of things too, proper testing with a pressure gauge is the next step.
    Does it get worse when shes hot?

If it is the pump the SL open centre tandem pump is a doddle to change, did our oldest one (11200hrs) just before Xmas .
    Non NH pump but made by same manufacturer, less than 300 plus a few O rings and a gasket.

They are good old tractors and worth keeping going, 14000hrs is easily achievable if you look after it.

Willscale

Thanks fermer boy. I shall follow that up.

Rassiel

Another weekend another question. This time i got some electrical questions.
    First noticed the 4wd switch has light as soon as you start the ignition key, being enabled or disabled, is this normal? On the videos i found on youtube they seem to be off.
    Diff lock swicth. This is a rocker switch, at the end of the "on" side there is a small travel with return spring (like when u press a pushbutton). Wrecked switch?
    Dont know if this is normal or not, but when i enable it light doesnt come on the dashboard neither on the switch, when i press it on the final travel (pushbutton) the charge pressure lights for a half of a second, and you can hear a click noise i supose on the diff lock valve.
    When i tested the tractor on the dealer, at least the light on the dashboard was working. I dint tested it driving to see if it works or not, will do next weekend.
    Charge pressure light comes on for a half of a second from time to time, when shiffting, pressing diff lock, saw it once when moving steering wheel, not sure if it flashes on other situations, could be.
    Every system seems to work right, despite diff lock, that im not sure if its working or not.
    Situation doesnt change when oil is hot.
    I know there is a small oil leak somewhere in the back (oil in the floor), so could be this leak making a momentary pressure loss?
    Do the accumulator hold pressure for the whole system or only the PS circuit?

Rassiel

Another weekend, new questions:
    4wd rocker switch is allways iluminated when ignition key on.
    Diff lock switch, it has no light when you activate it, and after puting the rocker on enabled, it has a small travel like a push button. Is this normal?
    Charge pressure light comes on for a half of a second when shiffting, saw it once when steering, pressing diff lock switch past "on" and maybe other situations. Everything seems to work right (have to check diff lock, as light isnt coming on the dash). I got a small oil leak in the backend, could be this small leak cause a momentary pressure loss, making the light flash, or should do i look for another things?
    Thanks.

TJBS

Quote Originally Posted by Rassiel View Post
    Diff lock swicth. This is a rocker switch, at the end of the "on" side there is a small travel with return spring (like when u press a pushbutton). Wrecked switch?
    Dont know if this is normal or not, but when i enable it light doesnt come on the dashboard neither on the switch, ?
    This is normal, switch is basically a button so will return to the "off position" after being pressed, then to disengage the diff you need to tap the brake pedals, or (if im remember right) it will disengage its self when the wheels equal up!

as for no light on the dash, have you checked the bulbs?
    have driven loads with no 4WD, DIFF ect lights working could be bulbs or just dogey wires :lolk:

TJBS

Charge pressure light comes on for a half of a second when shifting, saw it once when steering,
    yeah this is normal for the pressure light to flicker when shifting up or down!

Rassiel

Excuse me for my bad explanation, or maybe poor english.
    Its a rocker switch so doesnt go back alone to the off position. What i meant is past the "on" side there is a small travel with spring return, return to the "on" side again, not the "off" side.
    When i press on this travel i can hear a click noise in the backend (i supose the valve working), but dint had time to test it yet (will do next weekend).
    I wanted to know if this rocker swicht works like i describe or should be like another rocker switch (for example the 4wd rocker switch), then being mine wrecked.

fermerboy

Excuse me for my bad explanation, or maybe poor english.
    Its a rocker switch so doesnt go back alone to the off position. What i meant is past the "on" side there is a small travel with spring return, return to the "on" side again, not the "off" side.
    When i press on this travel i can hear a click noise in the backend (i supose the valve working), but dint had time to test it yet (will do next weekend).
    I wanted to know if this rocker swicht works like i describe or should be like another rocker switch (for example the 4wd rocker switch), then being mine wrecked.
    From your description the diff lock switch is correct.
    That is how it is meant to be, Off, or middle on with a quick push of the spring part to flick the diff lock on, it returns to middle leaving the diff lock engaged. To switch off the diff lock either use a brake pedal or put the switch to Off.
    Probably fused bulbs in the dash.

essexpete

Just had our old 8340 transmission recalibrated. What a difference on the main clutch engagement, also upshifts smoother. Very knowledgable semi retired gent charged me a very sensible price and also ran few some useful pointers on the tractor.

Rassiel

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Just had our old 8340 transmission recalibrated. What a difference on the main clutch engagement, also upshifts smoother. Very knowledgable semi retired gent charged me a very sensible price and also ran few some useful pointers on the tractor.
    I did a clutch pack calibration my own and yes what a difference. Now i should do a fill time calibration, cause when you use the clutch button it seems a bit slow finding the bite point.
    Did he a fill time calibration? Does him have the Calibration tool? Would be good if someone takes a photo of the tool, so we can know wich wires are the ones to run with a switch.

essexpete

Yes I carried out the basic cal that could be done without tool
    The tool he plugged in was just a simple press switch. It plugged into the floating plug by the fuse board. As to which wires it actually switches I do not know. It seemed only to apply to 2 of several wires. He clicked the switch and the right hand dash worked through several different codes. The fitter used a small pocket sized NH book as he had not done one for a while. I am sure someone can shed more light and be more specific. One thing he did say was procede with caution as a tractor can move suddenly during calibration. He had a particularly nasty experience with a DP 40 series and actually thought they were a poor model.

essexpete

Replaced the main fuel line from lower tank to sediment bowl with a rubber type and double jub clips. It had severely chafed on the first right angle bend under the right hand side of cab behind bulkhead.
    As I was attaching new pipe to air cleaner bracket with cable ties I happened to notice that the most rearward injector pipe is damaged due to rubbing on the air cleaner bracket (front end of bracket). Ford/NH placed a crappy piece of plastic on it to prevent this but it has rubbed through and the injector pipe is badly marked.

Sleepy

Completely irrellevent to the topic - but I notice that the main gearstick with the fast slow buttons on it on the 40 series - is exactly the same as used on the compact tractors NH make today!

Rassiel

Update:

Charge pressure light started to light when i raise the hitch with engine speed below 1000 rpm, until its almost up.
    Havent worked on the tractor yet, just moved it around the yard, so (fingers crossed) i hope is not the hydraulic pump being worm (Didnt lighted when i bought it, but flashed).
    I expect to be the hydraulic pressure switch.
    Any ideas?

essexpete

Which light is that? Is it roughly in the middle lower row? What is the power steering like at low speed?

Son went to hitch trailer (Auto PU hitch) today and it would not latch on. With a total lack of thought I immediately assumed the telescopic lift rod had come out of adjustment. It was working OK day before so unlikely. Hitch travelling to full height. It took a while to realise that two bolts had come out of the upper hitch mechanism where it bolts to the axle trumpet. (The bolts also secure the trumpet). They had worked out and one was still on top of the housing. Not sure why they have decided to fall out but it is obviously a point that needs to be checked.

wildoat99

I find myself with a wry smile at reading all the usual faults on 82/340's, I'm not the only one then. My latest issue on our 8240 is the tractor kinda groans a bit when idling, a bit like listening to a spool valve purging. It seems to be pretty constant, all the way to full revs and I feel that the tractor is slightly down on power because of it.
    Just looking at the photos and noticed the 8340 is sle but has an analogue dash, would this be a mainstream option, as all the sle tractors I have ever driven, (which is several) have all had digital dashboards, the tractor looks great though, a real nice project. As was discussed on here a couple of weeks ago, its a pity these tractors did not have a columb reverse shuttle as imo its still a comfortable work place to be in even in this day and age

Footsfitter

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Which light is that? Is it roughly in the middle lower row? What is the power steering like at low speed?

Son went to hitch trailer (Auto PU hitch) today and it would not latch on. With a total lack of thought I immediately assumed the telescopic lift rod had come out of adjustment. It was working OK day before so unlikely. Hitch travelling to full height. It took a while to realise that two bolts had come out of the upper hitch mechanism where it bolts to the axle trumpet. (The bolts also secure the trumpet). They had worked out and one was still on top of the housing. Not sure why they have decided to fall out but it is obviously a point that needs to be checked.

When the very 1st 8340's came out there was a TSB to modify the bracket bolted to the trumpet housing. In use the linkage jammed against the bracket as the PUH hook neared the ground and it could be impossible to get under the trailer eye. Only came to light when they launched this model as they only then put on 18.4-38's which caused the aggro.

TSB showed how to remove the bracket and "modify" it with an angle grinder

ff

JohnB_IE

Sorry rassiel,dont mean to highjack your thread,but on the same topic ,has any 1 come across a charge pump failing,we hav a prequad one landed to repair and it has no charge pressure,a friend tells me its air locked but im not so sure.

Rassiel

Pete, the charge pressure light is the top right one in the pic i took of the dash, power steering, and everything works right. Maybe its the hydraulic leak i got. Got to fix that soon, but got no time!

Wildoat, should be an option, but most of the latest models (with the NH style front axle, being Ford or NH), and even the TS models i saw got this analog and digital dash (at least here in Spain). Never seen one on the Ford blue models.
    BTW notice mine doesnt got radar.

There is some variations on the digital screen on these dashes, saw pics of some of the latest 40 series (the ones with plastic fenders) with logos on the digital screen for gear, speed, pto rpm and hitch position.
    These dashes are common here on Spain on other CNH models, saw some M, 60 series, TS... even Case MXMs, as my neighbourgh's 120 (no radar, but semi PS). I supose this screen should come standard on the tractors with semi PS gearbox but no radar, like mine.
    Shame mine doesnt show ground and pto speed, althoght the tractor got sensors for them.

NH POWER

Unscrew the charge pressure valve cover on the side of the pump. Its the big plastic plug looking one that faces toward the wheel, ground towards the rear. inside there is the charge bypass valve. That used to come unscrewed. You do need a special tool to do it up.

Regarding the engine groaning, is it the hyd relief valve blowing off? Are the hyds right up?